Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 PM

7,298 posts, read 12,208,252 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, if you could divide your favorite clothing brand into different eras, how would you do it?
Here is how I would divide IZOD into eras:
  • 1930s-1951 - Jack Izod Era
  • 1952-1977 - Early Izod Lacoste Era
  • 1978-1992 - Peak Izod Lacoste Era
  • 1993-1995 - Post-Lacoste Era
  • 1996-2001 - Early PVH era
  • 2002-2008 - PVH growth era
  • 2009-2012 - IndyCar era
  • 2013-2015 - Era of decline
  • 2016-present - Innovation/revival era
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:18 AM

37 posts, read 31,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, if you could divide your favorite clothing brand into different eras, how would you do it?
Here is how I would divide IZOD into eras:
  • 1930s-1951 - Jack Izod Era
  • 1952-1977 - Early Izod Lacoste Era
  • 1978-1992 - Peak Izod Lacoste Era
  • 1993-1995 - Post-Lacoste Era
  • 1996-2001 - Early PVH era
  • 2002-2008 - PVH growth era
  • 2009-2012 - IndyCar era
  • 2013-2015 - Era of decline
  • 2016-present - Innovation/revival era

I'm trying to understand.

Like how Burberry was forever in the superior raincoat era and now it's in the boycott because of a noose era?
How in the 1800s Levi's were in the workmen era and in the 1980s were in the ripped jeans fashion era?
What about brands like Gucci and Chanel? Wouldn't their eras be defined by who was designing for them?

As far as your list goes, I get the early, peak era, era of decline making them obviously in the revival era.
But what is the post Lacoste era?
Can you explain why you categorized things the way you did to make it more interesting and educational?

Last edited by Aqua Teal; 02-27-2019 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teal View Post
I'm trying to understand.

Like how Burberry was forever in the superior raincoat era and now it's in the boycott because of a noose era?
How in the 1800s Levi's were in the workmen era and in the 1980s were in the ripped jeans fashion era?
What about brands like Gucci and Chanel? Wouldn't their eras be defined by who was designing for them?

As far as your list goes, I get the early, peak era, era of decline making them obviously in the revival era.
But what is the post Lacoste era?
Can you explain why you categorized things the way you did to make it more interesting and educational?
The post-Lacoste era is after IZOD and Lacoste split up, but before they were bought out by Phillips-Van Heusen (PVH). The 2000s is when IZOD saw much of its growth under PVH. The IndyCar era is when they had their IndyCar sponsorship. The era of decline is when sales and popularity began to slide. The innovation/revival era is when they became more innovative with their styles and started to regain some popularity.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
I don't have a favorite brand. OP, usually I like your topics, but this one seems a little.....obsessive? OTOH, if I did have a fave brand, I suppose I would know about mergers, acquisitions of the brand by others, and so on, because it could affect the design or quality of a brand I'd been relying on.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has noticed changes to their favorite brand, over time.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 PM

37 posts, read 31,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The post-Lacoste era is after IZOD and Lacoste split up, but before they were bought out by Phillips-Van Heusen (PVH). The 2000s is when IZOD saw much of its growth under PVH. The IndyCar era is when they had their IndyCar sponsorship. The era of decline is when sales and popularity began to slide. The innovation/revival era is when they became more innovative with their styles and started to regain some popularity.
I thought that Lacoste dumped izod and went out on its own.
I associate Van Heasen with Sears type brands.
I thought that Lacoste wanted to be a more high end French type brand so they split from izod.
(This is what someone who worked for Lacoste told me)

So do you mean post Lacoste-izod era which would be just Lacoste era or just izod era since Lacoste dumped Izod and because only Lacoste has the rights to the alligator logo and izod does not?
I still don't get it.

Couldn't you classify that time period for izod in any other way then post lacoste?
Like "the new way forward on its own again until it got together with van Heasen" or something?
Since it didn't start out with Lacoste and that was just temporary why would it be classified as post Lacoste instead of being classified as its own separate thing? You don't have pre Lacoste so why post Lacoste?

Last edited by Aqua Teal; 02-27-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teal View Post
I thought that Lacoste dumped izod and went out on its own.
I associate Van Heasen with Sears type brands.
I thought that Lacoste wanted to be a more high end French type brand so they split from izod.
(This is what someone who worked for Lacoste told me)

So do you mean post Lacoste-izod era which would be just Lacoste era or just izod era since Lacoste dumped Izod and because only Lacoste has the rights to the alligator logo and izod does not?
I still don't get it.

Couldn't you classify that time period for izod in any other way then post lacoste?
Like "the new way forward on its own again until it got together with van Heasen" or something?
Since it didn't start out with Lacoste and that was just temporary why would it be classified as post Lacoste instead of being classified as its own separate thing? You don't have pre Lacoste so why post Lacoste?
My list of eras is in IZOD's perspective, not Lacoste's perspective.

One thing I have noticed since 2016 is that IZOD has paid finer attention to quality, especially with their casual button-down shirts. It seems like the fabric in their pre-2016 casual button-down shirts is noticeably stiffer compared to the 2016 and newer ones, while the 2016 and newer ones use a softer fabric that seems to hide wrinkles better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty