Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Unless it has something like a quilted or sheepskin lining, it's not going to keep you warm in winter. Leather isn't warm. It's good as a windbreaker, and in regions with mild winters, but I've seen too many guys shivering, when there's snow or frost on the gound, and they chose a leather coat or jacket, thinking they'd be looking good for an outdoor social occasion, but ended up freezing, instead.

I suppose you can wear a warm sweater under it.

I've never heard of a coat you can wash. Most people have their winter coats cleaned. And when I was a kid, most people only had one winter coat of the type one would wear to work, i.e. not casual, so there was no such thing as rotating your outerwear in winter. People would buy a coat in a neutral color that would go with most of their office attire or dress-up clothes, and use that all winter. You don't wear it all day; only going to and coming from work and social occasions, so it's unlikely to get musty.

But OP, unless you're in a job that involves physical labor, i.e. sweat, the inside of your coat getting funky shouldn't be an issue
I have two Squall parkas, from Lands End. I toss them in the washer and they come out great. A wool or leather coat obviously would need to be cleaned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Unless it has something like a quilted or sheepskin lining, it's not going to keep you warm in winter. Leather isn't warm. It's good as a windbreaker, and in regions with mild winters, but I've seen too many guys shivering, when there's snow or frost on the gound, and they chose a leather coat or jacket, thinking they'd be looking good for an outdoor social occasion, but ended up freezing, instead.

I suppose you can wear a warm sweater under it.

I've never heard of a coat you can wash. Most people have their winter coats cleaned. And when I was a kid, most people only had one winter coat of the type one would wear to work, i.e. not casual, so there was no such thing as rotating your outerwear in winter. People would buy a coat in a neutral color that would go with most of their office attire or dress-up clothes, and use that all winter. You don't wear it all day; only going to and coming from work and social occasions, so it's unlikely to get musty.

But OP, unless you're in a job that involves physical labor, i.e. sweat, the inside of your coat getting funky shouldn't be an issue
He stated that it WAS keeping him warm, so I take him at his word. It is probably lined.

Washing a coat stumped me too. I think the poster was thinking of puffy jackets that can be washed. And I do own a lighter weight jacket that is fairly warm, that can be washed. But for cold weather, wool or down is preferred for warmth.

What was done in our youth really is not the issue here. The OP feels a little insecure about being seen in the same coat day after day. When it is really cold, you wear the warmest thing, no matter what. Keeping warm is the priority.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:42 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...64?sku_0=::POU

That is rated to -10 F, and it is completely washable. Excellent cold weather coats.

This one is rated to -23. Also machine washable.
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...64?sku_0=::BLA

Old 03-02-2019, 05:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"....isn't that going to look odd without a rotation?"

well, if you are a double-naught spy, it might.
quote:
“You probably wouldn’t worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.” ― Olin Miller

Old 03-03-2019, 04:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, I have two winter coats (the Texas-heavy one and the Massachusetts-heavy one) and one spring/fall coat, and no one has ever commented on the frequency of my wearing of any of these.

Honestly if you have friends or acquaintances who would be rude enough to comment on this matter, you need to get some different friends/acquaintances.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have had two leather coats and neither was much for real warmth. One I still have as it’s a short fitted jacket that looks great. The other I took to the thrift store years ago. Leather coats can become quite dated looking... much sooner than other types of coats. 20 years and it’s time to retire it, IMHO. But a good parka...man they can look great for 20 years and more.
I have an Anne Klein leather coat that has a zip out quilted lining that I wear as my going-to-work coat during this time of year. It's quite warm (downtown Pittsburgh can be a wind tunnel in the winter!) and fifteen-plus years after buying it, I still receive compliments on it from strangers and friends alike.

To answer the O.P.'s query: it's doubtful that anyone is paying attention to your outerwear unless it's to admire its vintage style. If it please you to wear it on the reg this time of year and it keeps you warm, continue wearing it.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:44 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
I would not wear the same coat every day, but that’s just me. I have many winter coats and rotate based on the colors I’m wearing, activity, and outside conditions. But I don’t care what others wear.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I have only one general wear winter coat. Perhaps I’m unfashionable, but I don’t see the sense in having more than one. It is not washable, so I dry clean it at the end of the season before storing it for the summer.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

What was done in our youth really is not the issue here. The OP feels a little insecure about being seen in the same coat day after day. When it is really cold, you wear the warmest thing, no matter what. Keeping warm is the priority.
Well, a lot of people today still have one winter dress coat, too. I don't know what kind of job the OP goes to; maybe casual coats are ok. But I do agree, that the important thing in winter is keeping warm. No one worries about rotating your outerwear, and others don't pay attention to anyone's outerwear regime, as to whether the item changes from time to time. Any kind of warm winter coat is usually a bigger-ticket item, so some people are unlikely to have more than one.

In short: OP--overworrying. Relax and enjoy your dad's coat.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
As others said, don’t worry about rotation. I used to love leather jackets and wore them all the time in fall / spring (winter was too cold). However, I’ve noticed that the fabric lining started to smell kind of funky and, unfortunately, even the expensive cleaning did not really clean it out. (I felt they just surface cleaned the leather top and did nothing for the lining.) For that reason you might want to make sure to air out the coat and take it off if you feel too warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty