Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No cheapies....usually Vermont Country Store, online. I must be expecting too much since I wear them all day instead of sleeping in them...and have used the dryer in the past. The pants elastic stretches out after 3 years or so...
I think you are getting good use with three years of constant daily wear! The only thing I can think of is to buy a pair for every day of the week that you wear them. I think that way, you might get longer than three years' wear.

I don't wear PJs anymore. I've bought over time, several Lands End nightgowns that seem to launder well and are comfy. I used to buy stuff from Kohl's but they laundered more or less poorly, or shrunk, or were sized too big or too small. The cotton knit gowns from Lands End are of consistent good quality.

PJs from Vermont Country Store should be pretty well made. Maybe just buy more pairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:25 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you are getting good use with three years of constant daily wear! The only thing I can think of is to buy a pair for every day of the week that you wear them. I think that way, you might get longer than three years' wear.

I don't wear PJs anymore. I've bought over time, several Lands End nightgowns that seem to launder well and are comfy. I used to buy stuff from Kohl's but they laundered more or less poorly, or shrunk, or were sized too big or too small. The cotton knit gowns from Lands End are of consistent good quality.

PJs from Vermont Country Store should be pretty well made. Maybe just buy more pairs.

They are very well made....learned my lesson with less expensive pjs.

Just bought 5 new sets, so should be good for a while!
I like Land's End quality, usually LLBean is good also.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:25 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I wear t-shirt style nighties, summer and winter. Machine wash, air dry. They last quite a while. I don't have a clothesline either. I got some hangers where the hook swivels. Hang shirts, nighties, whatever on them and put the hook over the top of a door or even a door frame or window frame. All that goes in the dryer is the bed sheets.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"So, how often do you purchase new pjs or gowns etc.???"
once a year during a sale period...like Right Now.
"Do they wear out in a few years???"
6 months due to cheap elastic.
total yearly cost: ~$21.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:38 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Just wondering.

I wear pjs around the house every day I don't have to dress to go out. Never sleep in them, just wear them because of the comfort. Have quite a few pairs since I wear them a lot.

But they don't last very long. The elastic in the pants gets stretched out, buttons disappear, stains ie coffee on occasion. Mostly it's the elastic that's worrisome. I know the dryer doesn't help, but I also don't want to hang them up wet to avoid heat from the dryer...so I try to dry them on low settings.

So, how often do you purchase new pjs or gowns etc.??? Do they wear out in a few years???
Forever. I only wear them on out of town trips where I will be in a room with someone other than my BF.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:53 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
I don't buy PJs--I get cheap knit pants/capris (or leggings) from k-mart and pair them with old tee shirts. I've never had the elastic wear out--plus I can get them with pockets AND I can wear them all day!

I really don't see the point of pajamas anyway. Classic button down PJs lose their buttons or open up while sleeping. Night gowns ride up during the night. Silky pajamas/night gowns also ride up and make me sweat. Cozy flannels are OK in the winter.

Some pajamas look like regular clothing and vice versa so what's the diff??

Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I wear t-shirt style nighties, summer and winter. Machine wash, air dry. They last quite a while. I don't have a clothesline either. I got some hangers where the hook swivels. Hang shirts, nighties, whatever on them and put the hook over the top of a door or even a door frame or window frame. All that goes in the dryer is the bed sheets.
Ok....thanks!

Old 03-02-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I don't buy PJs--I get cheap knit pants/capris (or leggings) from k-mart and pair them with old tee shirts. I've never had the elastic wear out--plus I can get them with pockets AND I can wear them all day!

I really don't see the point of pajamas anyway. Classic button down PJs lose their buttons or open up while sleeping. Night gowns ride up during the night. Silky pajamas/night gowns also ride up and make me sweat. Cozy flannels are OK in the winter.

Some pajamas look like regular clothing and vice versa so what's the diff??

I think they're really comfortable.
As I said, I don't sleep in them for the reasons you mentioned....

Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
I think they'd last me, duknow, maybe 2 or 3 years? That was 15 years ago when I was still wearing pyjamas. Nowadays if I'm not sleeping nude I'm wearing running tights and a tank, or maybe a jammer and a tank, some of which have been in regular use for pushing a decade.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
I know this is a ridiculous topic...but the pants wear out the elastic so quickly....
might have to hang dry somewhere...not allowed to have clothes line in my area. Or dry really slowly in dryer, on low.
Can you not just use a pop up drying rack? In my apartment years, I typically used them for drying stuff that wasn't machine-dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty