Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:19 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

High heels in snow and slush is a great combination....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Women are able to dress more comfortably than men but for some reason they always seem to underdress for occasions.

It's usually the case that my girlfriends would wear a sleeveless dress when it's cold out and I'm in a suit and they would ask for the suit jacket from me, freezing me but making her comfortable.

My current girlfriend overdresses though. She wears like two layers when it's 50 out and three layers when it's 40. She even wears a long sleeve dress when it's 70, although her legs are showing.

I tend to underdress when I'm going out because (a) no places in Austin have coat checks or at least not the places I go and (b) most of the bars/clubs are very crowded and quite warm. So I tend to wear blue jeans, a long sleeved shirt, and cowboy boots (it's Texas). I'll run from my heated truck to the warm bar, being out even in 30 degrees in a long sleeve shirt isn't too bad for a short period of time. I'll only wear a jacket for a special occasion like a restaurant.

I work from home and my standard clothing is jeans and t-shirt or shorts and t-shirt. When I go on business trips I wear business casual which is slacks and long sleeve dress shirt. If it's cold I'll wear a wool sweater and possibly a coat.

Women certainly have more flexibility but they are more fashion conscious and less weather conscious so a lot of times they are just as uncomfortable as us men. I think it's a wash...

Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Seems so. Men have to wear suits to job interviews, weddings, etc. even in the heat of the summer, while women can wear short-sleeved blouses, knee-length skirts, and sandals to most professional/formal events. And if indoor A/C ever gets too cold, women can wear leggings under their skirts, or wear a longer skirt.

And then during the winter, men still have to wear exactly the same suit they'd always wear in other seasons. Unless it's super-cold, men can't wear trench coats and boots. But women can wear pantsuits, trench coats, and knee-length leather boots in any occasion.

Of course, men in Dubai can wear long, white, breezy robes and sandals to business meetings and weddings, no problem! And Scotsmen wear skirts to weddings. But otherwise, you just have to bear the heat and cold because you have no option but a suit.

I certainly am NOT advocating for cross-dressing or anything but for whatever reason men can't just get away with a short-sleeved polo and lighter-colored khaki pants even during the summer.
Do you have ANY idea how much more comfortable suits/men's clothing in general is than pretty much all women's clothing?

I would also love to get away with owning ONE piece of formal clothing for special occasions instead of having to have multiple different things to go to weddings, black tie affairs, etc. Totally acceptable for a guy to wear the same tux over and over, but heaven forbid the woman wear the same dress everywhere.

Also, btw, summer suits and winter suits are made from different materials. And I'd rather no-brain it and wear a suit every day instead of having to coordinate which uncomfortable outfit I have to put together every day.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Seems so. Men have to wear suits to job interviews, weddings, etc. even in the heat of the summer, while women can wear short-sleeved blouses, knee-length skirts, and sandals to most professional/formal events. And if indoor A/C ever gets too cold, women can wear leggings under their skirts, or wear a longer skirt.

And then during the winter, men still have to wear exactly the same suit they'd always wear in other seasons. Unless it's super-cold, men can't wear trench coats and boots. But women can wear pantsuits, trench coats, and knee-length leather boots in any occasion.

Of course, men in Dubai can wear long, white, breezy robes and sandals to business meetings and weddings, no problem! And Scotsmen wear skirts to weddings. But otherwise, you just have to bear the heat and cold because you have no option but a suit.

I certainly am NOT advocating for cross-dressing or anything but for whatever reason men can't just get away with a short-sleeved polo and lighter-colored khaki pants even during the summer.
And in some offices stockings (or pantyhose) is required for women unless they wear slacks. Open toe shoes are also not allowed in many offices. I don't get the can't wear a trench coat or boots bit. Where do you live? Even 40 years ago when I worked in Boston most men wore top coats or trench coats over their suits and boots if it snowed and carried their shoes, those who didn't appeared ridiculous. They also wore short sleeved dress shirts in the summer. Today, most companies are business casual, at least in the South, where men wear polo shirts and nice slacks. Women, however, are still restricted to no open toe shoes and sometimes pantyhose. And yes, do not tell a Scotsman that he is wearing a skirt...it is a Kilt.

Unless you are in a wedding you don't have to wear a suit. You can wear a sports jacket and nice slacks and if summer a short sleeved dress shirt is fine. Sometimes tie is optional for guests. I have never seen a jacket remain on during a wedding reception.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Work attire does not change too much visually, but material will be different.

In winter I will wear thicker chinos and thicker button up shirts, and a wool sweater over top on really cold days.

Summer I have light weight chinos and thin button up shirts.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:58 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I've never seen a Scotsman in a skirt. It's a kilt, man! And while you may envy him in the Summer, imagine when the Winter winds blow!

...don't move to Scotland for you would surely be "kilt"!
Let the winds blow high
Let the winds blow low,
Thru the streets in my kilt I'll go,
All the lasses say "Hello!"
"Donald, where's yer troosers?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yw0bLHTOb0

Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Society in this day and age seems to be completely against men and their wellbeing.
Men's suits in more or less their present form have been around for over 200 years. If anything, standards have become more relaxed.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
High heels in snow and slush is a great combination....
Yes, the worst part is dressing up in winter. Cute shoes, tights and a dress (even if it has long sleeves) don't offer much protection against the cold. If you put on boots and wool socks and leggings, where are you going to put all those clothes when you get where you're going?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:13 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Yes, the worst part is dressing up in winter. Cute shoes, tights and a dress (even if it has long sleeves) don't offer much protection against the cold. If you put on boots and wool socks and leggings, where are you going to put all those clothes when you get where you're going?
Here in California most women who might wear skirts to a professional environment during the summer switch to pant suits and flats or boots during the winter.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nah. Some young women want to be rather fashionable than warm...

I'll have to agree with this. I can remember one time, when we were younger and single, my sister and I dressing up just to go to the mall. I mean dresses and heels. Why? I can't think of a good reason. LOL We just wanted to dress up. My heels were killing me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty