Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM

31,615 posts, read 26,458,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
So, explain this, if IZOD were unpopular, why would PVH in 2018 alone revive the women's line, launch a direct sales website, and expand to Europe? PVH is not stupid.

You might want to read the Official Preppy Handbook:

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/po...book-turns-35/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Of...reppy_Handbook

https://slate.com/culture/2010/09/ho...d-my-life.html

Again it isn't about this or that brand per se; but certain articles of clothing/jewelry and so forth.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/th...-style-primer/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,500,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
More like the 90's.
You may be right...I just know it's old!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:00 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,331,662 times
On a side note, my high school daughter and I toured Harvard last week and the tour guide told us that when movies (such as Love Story) were filmed at the university, the directors deemed the real Harvard students in the background shots did not look preppy enough. So they always hired/dressed actors to play the Harvard students in background shots.

So even the real Harvard students don’t look preppy enough for some people.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
On a side note, my high school daughter and I toured Harvard last week and the tour guide told us that when movies (such as Love Story) were filmed at the university, the directors deemed the real Harvard students in the background shots did not look preppy enough. So they always hired/dressed actors to play the Harvard students in background shots.

So even the real Harvard students don’t look preppy enough for some people.
I dunno much about Harvard but I would think it would be the same as most schools...a mix of everything in fashion cause some people like it, some don't. ... never heard of the movie, but i do know the "preppy style" is
revamped from the the past.

I went to a state university for my BSN...Lol.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:10 PM

7,298 posts, read 12,210,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Give me a break - Chaps is Kohl's minus 30% where is the class? It is inexpensive, highly marketed for those who need "label" at low cost. Nothing wrong with that.
In HS I had a denim jacket with nothing but labels as liner - Van Laak to Bogner and Burberry - whatever was in the closets at home. Who cares about labels. BTW - I still cut them out.
Chaps is also carried by Belk (who also carries IZOD), a somewhat more upscale store that also carries more upscale brands. I consider both Chaps and IZOD to be mid-range brands, since they are not in the same class as Hanes or Fruit of the Loom (and that is an absolute fact, not an opinion). PVH even themselves considers IZOD to be a mid-range brand. Not sure how Ralph Lauren classifies Chaps, but since they are priced similarly to IZOD, I highly doubt Ralph Lauren considers Chaps to be low-end.

Most users here just sound like fashion snobs IMO.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:33 PM

31,615 posts, read 26,458,929 times
Quote:
Chaps is also carried by Belk (who also carries IZOD), a somewhat more upscale store that also carries more upscale brands. I consider both Chaps and IZOD to be mid-range brands, since they are not in the same class as Hanes or Fruit of the Loom (and that is an absolute fact, not an opinion). PVH even themselves considers IZOD to be a mid-range brand. Not sure how Ralph Lauren classifies Chaps, but since they are priced similarly to IZOD, I highly doubt Ralph Lauren considers Chaps to be low-end.

Chaps is a mid-tier brand that competes directly with Izod.

For those old enough to remember and or otherwise knowledgeable brand once was known as "Ralph Lauren Chaps". Chaps was positioned originally to be a more affordable option to Ralph Lauren Polo brand.

RL sold off Chaps in licensing agreement which while proving excellent from a financial point of view (RL made buckets of money), quality was inconsistent and even declined. To protect the main RL brand, Ralph Lauren Chaps merely became "Chaps" as they withdrew their name.

Tommy Hilfiger, Izod, Calvin Klien, Arrow and several other brands are all owed by PVH Corp. Phillips Van-Heusen along with Arrow were once top shirt maker/men's apparel brands in USA and elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PVH_(company)

All these once great names that are now part of PVH stable are now mostly if not exclusively mid-tier department and outlet store brands.

As it relates to this thread, again preppy is about a lifestyle and fashion sense. If someone from that background or whatever can find a "Chaps", or TH garment that works for them, there is nothing saying they wouldn't buy.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,197,274 times
Quote:

And yet you're the first one to say you don't wear Fruit Of The Loom or shop at Walmart. or that Belk carries Izod so it has to be somehow "higher end".

And IMO (and others) you want so badly for the shirt you wear to be "cool" or "on trend" that you will start 100 threads on how others "just don't get it" and that everyone is wearing Chaps brand and IZOD.

Nonetheless, you do you & wear whatever you want but no matter how many ways you try to say it, if Kohls & JC Penney are selling it, it's not a hot item. Period.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:08 PM

7,298 posts, read 12,210,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
And yet you're the first one to say you don't wear Fruit Of The Loom or shop at Walmart. or that Belk carries Izod so it has to be somehow "higher end".

And IMO (and others) you want so badly for the shirt you wear to be "cool" or "on trend" that you will start 100 threads on how others "just don't get it" and that everyone is wearing Chaps brand and IZOD.

Nonetheless, you do you & wear whatever you want but no matter how many ways you try to say it, if Kohls & JC Penney are selling it, it's not a hot item. Period.
An item does not need to be upscale to be popular. Also, Kohl's is actually one of the most financially stable department stores, so I don't see your point. H&M, one of the most well known fast fashion brands, is extremely popular. Think of the auto industry, do more people drive Chevys and Fords or Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs?

And actually, I do shop at Walmart and buy Fruit of the Loom, but only for basics such as some T-shirts, socks, and underwear, never for shirts or pants that I want to wear to go out.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Cause this is a fashion forum! Lol....so ofc we are talking about fashion

Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,555,266 times
Here's how I see some of the brands mentioned (and a few others for comparison):

Upper Upscale: Armani
Mid Upscale: Polo Ralph Lauren
Entry Level Upscale: Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, Calvin Klein
Mid Range: Izod, Chaps
Cost Conscious Consumer Brand: Fruit of the Loom

These are from the standpoint of mens' clothing. There may be some others that could be added to these categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty