Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Being concerned about the obesity crisis =/= hating fat people.
It seems that a few posters confuse the two, being 'squeamish' is not the same as being concerned.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I like plus size models because I can see how clothes will look on me.
This.

I'm not the best person in the world to pick out my clothes. Sometimes the clothes I like and see in the mirror when I try them on isn't the most flattering thing for me to wear. When I can see other people my size wearing those tops or pants or skirts or undergarments, I get a better idea of how I'd look.

Personally, though, I've never understood how some people have so little going on in their lives that they have to look at how much other people weigh and get themselves offended by it. I call them the blue hair people. Years ago I remember an old lady looking at a teen with blue hair and getting all huffy about it and saying there should be a law. Really? You want to pass a law against blue hair because it hurts you that much when you saw it?

People who whine about heavy people in Target and Walmart are like this lady and so are the ones who whine about heavy people wearing leggings. Is it so impossibly difficult for poor little you to move your eyes and look somewhere else? Apparently it is judging by some of the comments, so get a life and get over it.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:22 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Plus sized women who don't have plus sized boobs!
Another group who you don't see. If you look at overweight models, it would be easy to come away with the idea that ALL overweight women are amply endowed. It just is not the case, and I have noticed that myself.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:36 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I unhappily saw this yesterday, when I was shopping for a skincare product.
https://www.target.com/b/auden/-/N-mg0o7?lnk=Auden

The woman in the middle. She's more than 200 pounds and possibly morbidly obese. It's glamorized, like life can be enjoyable that way. Not for long. It's not going to make someone want to gain weight, but messages like that make some people not bother to lose weight, even though for health alone they should. That's reckless to society. I'm going to minimize purchases from businesses that I think are bad for this world.
What!? Get outta here. She may very well be between 200 and 280, depending on her hieght. There are far more things "reckless to society" than somebody wanting to be a chunkball.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Professional models come in all sizes. They reflect reality.
Actually they do not. That is a lie.

When I was in my early 20s, I worked for the petite division of a fairly well known NYC modeling agency. (Yes, they had large sized division, too)

I was one of the "shorter" petite models. Most were 5'5". Most people who are 5'5" do not think of themselves as "petite". There was ONE model there who was shorter than I (5'3") and I think they used her because she was a very skinny Latina. She worked more than I did. There were a few Asian and black models who were also under 5'5".

I booked a fair amount. But, they let me know that I was "on the shorter side".

Petite models are also used to make an item look larger than it actually it. A car, a major appliance, and a shorter male model are three examples.

Since then, I see fewer petite models. Even when I shop for Petite clothes on line, the person wearing it is NEVER my size.

It would help me to order clothes online if I could see women withing a few inches of my size wearing the clothes.

We may both be size 2, but if she is 6' tall, it is not going to give me ANY idea of how this will look on me.

I wanted to add - I am glad that a greater variety of sizes of models have been helpful to some posters. I also can say that the models called "Plus" in the 1980s, were not really "Plus" (to me a size 22 or so) many only wore a size 12 or 14! And these women were tall.

People can within reason change their weight.

As for myself, sort of going to S.Korea and having my legs broken, and having metal shafts inserted - there is nothing I can do about my height.

I LIKE my height and I would never think of mutilating myself. It's part of who I am.

I also like clothes. The Petite lines are usually only available ON LINE. One of my favorite stores is Express. I have to order those clothes online.

I feel the fashion industry complete skipped over a whole market that includes myself. And that sucks.

Last edited by sheena12; 03-14-2019 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I saw the same ad, and moved on.

Showing pics of women who are larger than what we are used to seeing in ads will not motivate anyone to gain weight.

What I gather from many of the posts in this thread is a lot of judgement wrapped up in platitudes about health and well being.

I just posted recently in another thread about how hard it was for those of us who had the “fat gene” to keep the pounds off. In order for fat phobic people to not be grossed out, those of us who struggle with weight gain, must monitor every bite we eat, must decline all treat foods pushed our way by home cooks, must eat less than we really want. It is a daily struggle, and it never eases up. But whatever our size, we deserve decent, stylish clothing. It is beyond me why anyone would begrudge fellow humans this basic thing.
The clothing in those ads is the opposite of "decent"! Some people are motivated to rein in their weight for fear of social judgment. When society says excess weight is okay or "I don't care what you think" becomes a popular mindset, you can guess what happens.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
The clothing in those ads is the opposite of "decent"! Some people are motivated to rein in their weight for fear of social judgment. When society says excess weight is okay or "I don't care what you think" becomes a popular mindset, you can guess what happens.
Are you advocating for social judgement?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 PM

Also, as some of the tall women have complained - Petite and Tall are seldom only about length!

"Length" is the LEAST of my concerns. I buy regular length jeans at American Eagle. "SHORT" are too short for me.

The problems have more to do with the positioning of the waist, size of the armholes, and size and placement of shoulders and necklines, sleeves.

Jeans are easy and a pleasure to shop for.

The other thing is that some styles are just too large for us. Puffy sleeves, overly large buttons or details, huge bows, big prints. They may look interesting or good on tall people but they just over power us.

As you might imagine, the 1980s were NOT a good decade for smaller women.

Petite actress Reece Witherspoon has a line of clothes for smaller women. I have a few but they are very pricey.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow. That's awful, and I hate that you and your wife were subjected to that level of ignorance and hate.

I wonder what they'd have done if anyone had wondered the same about their partners?
Probably file a lawsuit.

We’re good though. They clearly wanted a reaction and they didn’t get one. Living well is always the best revenge.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
But why should anyone care what others think? What is so bad about someone being independent enough not to conform to societal expectations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty