Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM

880 posts, read 531,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
The point is being missed here. I am well aware that larger people wear clothes, too. (By the way, my largest was a size 4, as I am a very small person. I shopped at regular petite stores, if you must know). My post was simply gauging how effective these advertisements are and why men are not given equal time. Plus sized men are just not advertised in the mainstream, and they are just as overweight as women. Why? Your link is something I would have NEVER found or seen had you not mentioned it here. My post was also questioning if it is a good idea to promote an unhealthy lifestyle - just as the anorexic, heroine chic of the early 90's. There is bountiful research backing the dangers of being overweight (and, yes, I know, skinny people get sick and die, too).

And by the way, there are women out there that are a size 0 who also shop and cannot find clothes. A lot of the companies that have a "0" are what a size "4" used to be. So it's not just larger women who have a hard time finding clothing. But, that is NOT the point of the post.

I'm sure I will get blasted for "disappearing" from this topic for a while, but I have other things I MUST do.....
The difference is...those size 0's from the 90s were an unrealistic representation of women, it caused a lot of us to believe that was what beauty was. Whereas plus sized models are very much as accurate representation of the female population.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
I think they are "over correcting" a situation, and I tend to agree.

Most women are not 5'11 and wear a size 0. Similarly, most women are not 5'11 and a size 22.
Maybe I should stop with most women are not 5'11.

They have gone from one extreme to another.

I have nothing at all against tall or heavy models, but some sites on the internet show ONLY these body types and the overweight ones are not just slightly or moderately overweight, they are morbidly obese.

What about average women at their correct, healthy weight? I can no more tell how something will look on me when the model is taller and skinnier than average, or tall and obese.

Do women who are between 5'2 and 5'6 just have to figure it out? Imagine?

I am 5'3" and 107. I take a 2 or a 4 or usually XS. I have long legs for my height and a shorter torso. I guess I am still a junior, but junior clothes would look silly on me.
I take regular sizes in skirts and jeans, and petites in tops and outer wear. It's mainly the arm holes and the torso length.

If they can show a preponderance of morbidly obese models, I am sure that we can also show some average, fit models.

The sites I look at are Modcloth.com and Express. Modcloth is only online and sells retro classic clothes as well as quirky vintage styles.

Express is also in the mall. I like their clothes but they sell very few petite tops in the brick and mortar store, although I was able to score a great XS petite winter jacket in the store.

At the end of the day, I think models should reflect the people who purchase clothes - ALL of them. There are some women who are 6' tall and are very thin. Also there are women the same height who are very heavy. However, these are the extremes. Not the average.

While I think it's good to show some heavier women models, it seems HALF of the models are very overweight.

What about the rest of us????

Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. There are so many thoughts I wish I could expand right now but can't. However, no one is really answering the posed question:

Is it appealing to you as a buyer?
Damned right it's appealing to me as a buyer. I want to see what the clothes look like when worn by someone close to my size (which isn't a size 2). Seeing a size 2 model wearing an outfit tells me nothing about how that outfit will look on someone who's my size.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Quote:
Why are we not seeing overweight men? I'm not just singling out Target - this is across the industry.
I suspect the reason is that men's body shapes simply aren't as varied as women's, and their clothing is more uniformly sized. That makes it easier for a man (of any size) to visualize what the clothes will look like on him.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM

6,854 posts, read 4,853,645 times
Try being just a tad taller than average and finding long sleeved clothing that fits. Pants are frequently an inch too short, but tall can be too long. The clothing industry isn't going to make everyone happy. I don't shop at Target so I can't say I have noticed overweight models. However, it's a good idea to show how styles look on different body types. I don't think anything is being promoted except clothing.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
The plus-sized model is modeling plus-sized lingerie. Do you think plus size clothing lines should be modeled by thin women? How is that going to sell clothing?

Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
The point is being missed here. I am well aware that larger people wear clothes, too. (By the way, my largest was a size 4, as I am a very small person. I shopped at regular petite stores, if you must know). My post was simply gauging how effective these advertisements are and why men are not given equal time. Plus sized men are just not advertised in the mainstream, and they are just as overweight as women. Why? Your link is something I would have NEVER found or seen had you not mentioned it here. My post was also questioning if it is a good idea to promote an unhealthy lifestyle - just as the anorexic, heroine chic of the early 90's. There is bountiful research backing the dangers of being overweight (and, yes, I know, skinny people get sick and die, too).

And by the way, there are women out there that are a size 0 who also shop and cannot find clothes. A lot of the companies that have a "0" are what a size "4" used to be. So it's not just larger women who have a hard time finding clothing. But, that is NOT the point of the post.

I'm sure I will get blasted for "disappearing" from this topic for a while, but I have other things I MUST do.....
The magic word "Google" unless you have something along that line at home and shop for it. I actually am happy that he needs a 38 pants as he does not physically fit into acrobatic airplanes anymore.

You were not questioning promoting a lifestyle - you were venting about the fat chick in a glossy newspaper insert.

Start sewing or look for Asian stores.

Stirring the pot and "disappearing".

Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Try being just a tad taller than average and finding long sleeved clothing that fits. Pants are frequently an inch too short, but tall can be too long. The clothing industry isn't going to make everyone happy. I don't shop at Target so I can't say I have noticed overweight models. However, it's a good idea to show how styles look on different body types. I don't think anything is being promoted except clothing.
Try good ol' LL Bean.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
I am not overweight and am health oriented, actually, but I have different types of friends who struggle with different things. I think every person should have the ability to buy attractive and fashionable clothes for themselves regardless of size and be represented with models and images showing those clothes and looks. Not appealing to some? Then no need to look at the images.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I am not overweight and am health oriented, actually, but I have different types of friends who struggle with different things. I think every person should have the ability to buy attractive and fashionable clothes for themselves regardless of size and be represented with models and images showing those clothes and looks. Not appealing to some? Then no need to look at the images.
Exactly.

If they aren't marketing to you, just ignore it. There's plenty of marketing I ignore.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,594 times
Ladies with "meat on their bones" are the most attractive to me. Those so skinny they don't look healthy make me worry for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty