Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The life expectancy of America is shrinking and lags well behind many other first world nations and a large part of that is how obese people have become.

I'm not saying ads attribute to it but they are certainly not helping the problem.

Fat people exist and need clothes and they do deserve to be able to wear cute things, but the larger problem is why don't people have enough motivation to do something about their weight?
The question of weight has nothing to do with Target, the ad, or the clothes they sell. A fashion ad is not meant to be a health or safety ad.

Why can't you separate these issues?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
The life expectancy of America is shrinking and lags well behind many other first world nations and a large part of that is how obese people have become.

I'm not saying ads attribute to it but they are certainly not helping the problem.

Fat people exist and need clothes and they do deserve to be able to wear cute things, but the larger problem is why don't people have enough motivation to do something about their weight?
A) I found your comment about sports being for professionals with years of training and equipment rather entertaining.

B) What is obese - 14, 16, 18, ....

C) I was body shamed early on for being only 5 11 and not having the built of the rest of the family. When I finally broke the diet, excessive work out cycle life did not rotate around scale and tape anymore. The best thing about being a 16 - I have hair. Healthy, silky, shiny hair down my back. No more stomach cramps, passing out, tension around others, meassuring up. Any reason to go into details of other medical issues, some are a bit gross? You can worry about my weight. I enjoy my life. Yes, I discovered cleavage and low cut tops. Life is good here.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The question of weight has nothing to do with Target, the ad, or the clothes they sell. A fashion ad is not meant to be a health or safety ad.

Why can't you separate these issues?
I don't want to see a fat person in lingerie. Sorry but I don't.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
But if you’re going to be a part of society there some things you’re just going to have to put up with. Nobody else, a retailer running an add or an individual enjoying his/her right to exist and live as they see fit, needs your approval.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:11 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
As long as the ad increases their sales, why should Target care about that?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Well, at least someone finally admitted the real objection. Perhaps we can stop belaboring the false "concern for their health" argument?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:39 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Close your eyes, take off your glasses, limit your circle, live your life. Maybe you are not what I would like to see)) Move to an island and put a sign out. Or - hold that thought - you said "in".

Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But if you’re going to be a part of society there some things you’re just going to have to put up with. Nobody else, a retailer running an add or an individual enjoying his/her right to exist and live as they see fit, needs your approval.
Exactly.^^^ And to address the original post, seeing ads with plus size people does not phase me at all. Large people need clothes too, and these stores want to sell and make money. I have been somewhat obese but did not feel good (and had health issues) at that weight so I did something about it. I am neither stick thin nor obese, but feel good at 150 lbs for my 5'8" body (69 y. o.) Not everyone has the same taste or standards and we don't need to please anyone but ourselves. And by the way, there seems to be varying standards and opinions about what actually constitutes "obese" or "plus size."

Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That works for me. I'm just as happy to see clothes hanging on hangers. If I'm at all interested, I am going to try them on anyway. The only thing that matters is whether they fit me, not how they look on a model or mannequin. Very often I've been disappointed by how something which looks fantastic on a model doesn't fit me at all, and whether or not that's the case is surprisingly unpredictable. And yes, it would certainly be less expensive.

But I also admit that in general I have no great desire to look at clothes, shop for clothes, or think about clothes.
Hahaha, I am the same way, but I didn't say that lest someone say, with reason, "Why the heck are you posting on the Fashion and Beauty thread, forum?" (And the answer is, "Because I saw this thread title on the sidebar!)

I hate shopping. By the time I hit 14 and was begging God not to let me grow any taller, I already knew I was doomed to a life of never being able to buy nice clothes like regular people. It bothered me then. By my 20s, I accepted that there was nothing I was going to ever be able to do about it and got by with the limited choices that were available to me. My biggest concern with clothing in the intervening years was trying to look professional in my job, and I was able to do that, thanks to JCPenney's catalogs and eventually, website.

Now I'm retired. I wear comfortable stuff, and I don't give a rat's ass about going shopping except for those few annoying times when I need a dress for a wedding or something. For my niece's wedding two years ago, I must have tried on 30 dresses before I found something that was OK enough to wear.

My daughter recently asked if I would mind if she just elopes someday, and I said, "Oh yes, please do." Besides not having to lay out the money for her wedding, I know I'd never in a million years be able to get a nice MOTB dress!

Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Most of the models are abnormally skinny and not representative of the general population... unfortunately, that tends to set the "norm" in peoples' minds.

Most of the models that people say are oversized/overweight are not obese and do not indicate an unhealthy lifestyle but rather a divergence from the "skinny-norm" we are all used to seeing.

I'm all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty