Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You don't powerlift or want to look like her, though, right?

I agree that there should be more women in ads with muscle definition. (Though I'm not sure I'd like the look of traps. I don't like big traps on my fellow men.) I'm probably am less averse to overweight models if they seem to have some muscle on them and aren't very sloth-like. For example, Queen Latifah vs. Rebel Wilson. Let's not celebrate laziness, even if thin.
You can powerlift and look all kinds of ways.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Sarah Robles isn't a powerlifter, she's an Olympic weightlifter. They're two different sports, folks.

As for how a woman will look if she's lifting weights, that depends on two things: how hard she trains, and her own personal genetics. The heavier you lift, the more muscle you put on, but ultimately genetics determines the limit to how much muscle an individual can gain. Olympic weightlifting has weight classes, just like boxing and wrestling do, so smaller weightlifters compete against others who are in the same weight range.

Take a look at this article about Team USA in 2016, and you'll see three different women competing in three different weight classes, with three different physiques: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mee...ting-team.html.

But the people (male or female) who lift the very heaviest weights are always very stout, because of the sheer amount of muscle it takes to lift those weights. If weightlifting was like most Olympic sports, where only the highest score/fastest time/longest throw etc., wins, the super-heavyweights would be the only athletes participating. No one else would be competitive.

But there's some diversity in body type with super-heavyweights, too. This YouTube video shows a record-breaking lift by the Russian Olympic weightlifter Tatiana Kashirina, who competes in the same weight category as Sarah Robles (75+ kg), and is generally regarded as the stronglest female weightlifter in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QnASEwOBT4.

She's not slender at all, but her overall build is different than Sarah Robles's and she weighs less.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,359 times
Quote:
Perhaps Target could be nice and focus its plus-size models campaign on women in exercise apparel. At least that would have a productive message.
Perhaps, you can just skip over the ads that you don't like and not be so insulting and judgmental.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Perhaps, you can just skip over the ads that you don't like and not be so insulting and judgmental.
But he’d still have to see people he didn’t like whilst out and about so it’s better if everyone just conforms to his preferences. Since he’s so important and all...

Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
As a plus sized woman, there's nothing I hate more than going to a plus sized section or store and see pictures of size 6 models wearing the clothes that I'm supposed to be buying!!! I need to see what the clothes look like on someone that looks like me. If it offends anyone's delicate sensibilities to have to look at that, too d@mn bad. They can get over it. Or not. I really don't care.
Your post seems to hit the nail on the head.

I was expecting this to be a rant against plus-sized models on the cover of Sports Illustrated or something. (We've had plenty of those threads, I am sure.)

But this just seems to be a rant about seeing models wear the actual clothes that are being sold... like a size 16 model wearing the size 16 jeans that is being sold in the store doing the advertising! Horrors! Oh no! How dare the store show the clothing as it really looks!

This is a crazy, petty rant. There is nothing wrong with showing "real life examples" of the product you are selling. That's all this is.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It's repulsive to me as a buyer. I don't want to see that, and it makes me associate the brand with low-quality and pandering to an unhealthy lifestyle. I have negative thoughts about brands that oversell sex or use rail-thin models, but very overweight models is worse.
Who cares what you think? You aren't going to be buying the product they're advertising (which is plus-size clothing), so your opinion is meaningless.

I remember your username from a thread from many years ago. LOL! Oh boy.

Fat women are to blame for men's romantic unhappiness!

Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
*sigh*
Fat, thin, tall, short. The discussion is clothing ads, not what men find appealing.

Hard as it may be to comprehend, women are more than just eye candy for men. We have individual personalities, responsibilities, weaknesses, lives and jobs. Most of us just want to go about our business without having to justify our existence to strangers.
I know!

It's just clothes. It's just clothes. Women want to know what the clothes look like and how they'll fit on their bodies before they go over to try them on and maybe buy them.

Some guy who isn't going to buy the clothes (or even go into that section of the store) shouldn't care in the least. How often do women get upset about what kind of ads are used to sell beard combs or something? Why in the world would we care?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
I have not seen the ad, but I have been fat and not so fat (I'm a size 16, 173 lbs and 5'8"now). Perhaps overweight men do not need ads. Overweight men have big and tall shops and a JC Penny section for them. Overweight men do not have fashion problems, up to a point. Men's styles do not change much, so if they can find something in their size, they are set - relatively (We are not talking about the morbidly obese here). I worked with a man who was very heavy, and no one dressed better than he did. He was a gentleman with impeccable taste.

However, for the ladies....I cannot say the same. Since more than half of the females are overweight in this country, the ads should reflect this, but they could be done better.

IMHO, the clothing that is shown for heavy ladies looks like the stuff that Mimi used to wear on Drew Carey.
https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/...t-at-60-63303/

The clothing offered for sale should not just be the same pattern just cut bigger (or smaller, for that matter). There is a point of diminishing returns at either end of the size scale.

How to fix this? Large women must be encouraged to seek out clothing that is not short, low cut or overly tight (e.g., jeggings), and they must learn to break up a large expanse with scarves and other eye catchers. Accessories such as boots and jackets also help. One can look better at any weight if they can learn to dress well. Large ladies must learn to dress differently.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

And no one's talking about dating folks you don't find attractive. Not sure why you're trying to convolute the discussion.
I'll repeat forum discussions I've witnessed before: Some guys believe they are owed increased access to more attractive girls to date. A girl who doesn't feel pressured to lose weight is one less girl in these guys' available dating pool. This causes more men to be single and sad, and that's bad.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Now I can't remember the name, but I saw a few ads recently from a lingerie company that used "real" women in their ads. Not just overweight women, but a woman who'd obviously recently had a baby, and whose stomach was still a bit stretched and had marks, a woman who'd had a mastectomy, and an older woman who was a little saggy. It impressed me, because "real" people don't all look like models, and real bodies (even fit ones) don't always conform to the airbrushed ones in magazines. I can't imagine how some in this thread would react to that campaign.
Aerie? They make good undergarments and swimsuits imho, so I continue to support them. Being small chested, they are one of the only stores where I can find a bra that fits properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty