Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So...perhaps the best thing is to let the market dictate size availability, allow companies to advertise to best achieve their profitability and let people worry about their own weight?

Oh heavens no. That's crazy talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What?! Lazy people don't sew.
LOL!

Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What?! Lazy people don't sew.
3D printer?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:47 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
What's amazing to me is how this thread is only a week old and has over 520 replies. It is by a long shot the largest and most active thread on this sub-forum. It's obvious that the subject of overweight women* brings out some serious emotion in CD members. But it's not just here. As I've noted on this thread, public hostility toward overweight women is still socially acceptable. They are one of the only groups I can think of where it is not universally frowned upon to openly disparage.

What I don't get is why the animosity and contempt? If guys don't like fat girls don't pursue them. If fit girls don't like fat girls (some of the nastiest encounters my wife and I have ever had were from fit women) don't become one. It's incredible how upset some people get over something that has no affect on them. All these arguments about reducing dating pools and health insurance costs are non-starters. The net effect of a woman being overweight is pretty much zero to anyone but her and those closest to her. I don't understand the objection to a person living her life as she chooses. And the best part is, in many cases she likely wishes she could lose weight but just doesn't know how or where to start. Or she encounters hostility when she tries to start working out. I've seen this happen several times and it never made sense to me why a fit person would make fun of a fat person who's trying to get herself in shape. Another reason a person may struggle to lose weight is it isn't always as simple as "move more, eat less." It's a complete lifestyle change and very few people can honestly say they've actually experienced something like that. And with that lifestyle change comes a non-existent margin for error: one slip at mealtime can undo weeks of work and discipline.

I obviously have a vested interest in this subject and won't hide why I am decidedly biased when this is discussed. But I still don't think I've been unreasonable in challenging those who object to the presence of advertising to a specific segment of the market. I haven't seen a reasonable argument challenging those adds; rather the subject has bled from advertising to a full on venting of some members' dislike for a certain demographic.

It's a little shameful but it's nothing new.

*I realize this thread is about "models" and not women specifically but as noted most models are women. References to overweight men have been passing and have not resulted in significant discussion within this thread. I'd be willing to bet a thread specifically about overweight men would likely attract few responses.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
What's amazing to me is how this thread is only a week old and has over 520 replies. It is by a long shot the largest and most active thread on this sub-forum. It's obvious that the subject of overweight women* brings out some serious emotion in CD members. But it's not just here. As I've noted on this thread, public hostility toward overweight women is still socially acceptable. They are one of the only groups I can think of where it is not universally frowned upon to openly disparage.

What I don't get is why the animosity and contempt? If guys don't like fat girls don't pursue them. If fit girls don't like fat girls (some of the nastiest encounters my wife and I have ever had were from fit women) don't become one. It's incredible how upset some people get over something that has no affect on them. All these arguments about reducing dating pools and health insurance costs are non-starters. The net effect of a woman being overweight is pretty much zero to anyone but her and those closest to her. I don't understand the objection to a person living her life as she chooses. And the best part is, in many cases she likely wishes she could lose weight but just doesn't know how or where to start. Or she encounters hostility when she tries to start working out. I've seen this happen several times and it never made sense to me why a fit person would make fun of a fat person who's trying to get herself in shape. Another reason a person may struggle to lose weight is it isn't always as simple as "move more, eat less." It's a complete lifestyle change and very few people can honestly say they've actually experienced something like that. And with that lifestyle change comes a non-existent margin for error: one slip at mealtime can undo weeks of work and discipline.

I obviously have a vested interest in this subject and won't hide why I am decidedly biased when this is discussed. But I still don't think I've been unreasonable in challenging those who object to the presence of advertising to a specific segment of the market. I haven't seen a reasonable argument challenging those adds; rather the subject has bled from advertising to a full on venting of some members' dislike for a certain demographic.

*I realize this thread is about "models" and not women specifically but as noted most models are women. References to overweight men have been passing and have not resulted in significant discussion within this thread. I'd be willing to bet a thread specifically about overweight men would likely attract few responses.
I agree with everything you said and knowing your particular interest in this topic, I admire your restraint.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Yes and I wonder why the mods haven't closed this one by now. There are a few other "beauty/fashion" topics that also bring out the hate, mostly about people wearing certain styles that the pearl clutchers don't like. My motto is live and let live, and people should be or wear whatever they please. What others do to or with their body does not affect me in the least.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
It always comes down to women being primarily valued for their looks and expected to conform to what society currently considers attractive. This societal attitude also negatively affects "older" women, but that's a different thread.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
It always comes down to women being primarily valued for their looks and expected to conform to what society currently considers attractive. This societal attitude also negatively affects "older" women....
Sadly, we saw that in this thread with VexedAndSolitary's disparaging remarks about her own postmenopausal body.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sadly, we saw that in this thread with VexedAndSolitary's disparaging remarks about her own postmenopausal body.
Yes, those were sad comments.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
I was part of a weight management support group for years and the common denominator among those of us who were trying to lose weight was this: childhood abuse. For some it was sexual abuse, others it was physical or emotional. But it was a common theme throughout. Being fat is often a complex issue and isn't as easily "fixed" as people would like to think. I've been fat and I've been thin... and the pain that caused me to become fat still exists. It just manifests on the outside when I am fat. That trauma from childhood never really goes away. You just learn to manage it. But then, sometimes in life, trauma happens again... in a wholly different way... and suddenly you are unable to cope the way you usually cope and it affects your weight. Sometimes it takes a little while to get on top of the problem and start to cope well again. And some people never are able to do it because they've reached a level of exhaustion or depression. It's just part of the human condition. It's not a character flaw. Some people drink, others do drugs, some gamble, many overeat, some jump off cliffs. Shaming other humans for the pain inside them doesn't do anything to help alleviate that pain.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
The argument that overweight people eat so much food that the food source isn't sustainable, or the argument that overweight people consume more than their fair share of medical care funding are disingenuous.

The reason healthy weight people resent the acceptance of overweight people is that it nullifies the effort that slim people put in to being slim. Everyone wants to finish their enchilada plate at dinner; slim people stop at half the meal, still wanting more. Everyone wants to go back to the dessert table and sample another dessert; slim people deny themselves that pleasure. Everyone wants to eat that whole bag of chips; slim people stop at a handful, still really wanting more.

And if overweight people are seen as just as attractive, all that self-denial is for naught, and we could have been eating all we wanted all along.

Cheryl Tiegs, former super model, went to pieces after this year's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition featured a Rubenesque model, and the reaction from the men was very positive. The wispy thin models' stock in trade just went down a peg. Underweight isn't the only attractive body style, and those who are underweight are kind of pissed about it.

So enough of saying they raise the cost of insurance, or are ruining the planet by eating too much. That's not the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty