Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 07:58 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
What, underwear ads? I forgot that some popular retailers have men modeling underwear. They're never on the front page, though, nor are they overweight (or especially hairy).
Target didn't have the lingerie model on the front page either. It was a few pages in, and only in one ad a few weeks ago. None of their other ads have featured their new lingerie line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And eh not sure why you chose my post to fire away on but whatever floats your boat, lololol
It's a public message board, people will respond to what you post. Although I wasn't "firing away", I was just confused why some people seem to think their specific preferences for a mate matter to advertisers. If the ad doesn't appeal to you, it probably wasn't made for you.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Target didn't have the lingerie model on the front page either. It was a few pages in, and only in one ad a few weeks ago. None of their other ads have featured their new lingerie line.

It's a public message board, people will respond to what you post. Although I wasn't "firing away", I was just confused why some people seem to think their specific preferences for a mate matter to advertisers. If the ad doesn't appeal to you, it probably wasn't made for you.
I’m well aware that it’s a public message board. I’m not new to the intarwebs, thanks. Frankly I don’t care if you responded to my post. More power to you. I just found it bizarre because I was responding to another poster who said that most people wouldn’t want to see chubby or obese men as male models. Hence the reason for me stating my preference. How that got you going is beyond me but anyway haha

Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Women themselves are more eager to put their bodies on display.
That's a very telling remark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
It really should be about shape not weight.
What would that do to the objection to obesity that it's 'a health concern'? Overweight is overweight regardless of shape. So which is it here, do you guys object to 'the glorification' of obesity because it's a legitimate concern about health, or because you simply don't like the way it looks on most people?

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's a very telling remark.What would that do to the objection to obesity that it's 'a health concern'? Overweight is overweight regardless of shape. So which is it here, do you guys object to 'the glorification' of obesity because it's a legitimate concern about health, or because you simply don't like the way it looks on most people?
I just prefer to look at beauty not ugliness, in general.
Shapely, hourglass though overweight vs barrel shaped/loose rolls/massive abdomens looks good so I'd choose that type of model, were I the person in charge of such.

I disagree with the crowd who are stating the ads "glorify" obesity. That's absurd.

My objection is to those with rolls/ huge abdomens calling themselves curvy.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
There's a big difference between noting your personal preferences and being so exorcized over random women that you start whining about it, as if how dare these strangers not be pleasing to your personal tastes.

The thread "You don't have to be pretty" covers this too. Women shouldn't have to feel obligated to be pleasing to the male eye. It's nice if they try to please their SO or husband (as he does for them), but outside of that, who cares? Yet, some guys whine, "Think of the poor men!" as if women have a duty to be more attractive to the male population at large.
If you don't care what men think then why should you care what men prefer or set as the benchmark for beauty?

There's no duty to be more attractive to males unless you are compelled to.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Quote:
That's a very telling remark.What would that do to the objection to obesity that it's 'a health concern'? Overweight is overweight regardless of shape. So which is it here, do you guys object to 'the glorification' of obesity because it's a legitimate concern about health, or because you simply don't like the way it looks on most people?
Overweight is not just overweight regardless of shape. There are greater health risks to certain areas of fat build up and a woman who has obvious curves is carrying fat more evenly (less unhealthy) than a woman with more fat around the midsection (more unhealthy).

Still, no one here has proven that their concerns are truly about health. If they were, there would be a thread this long about the typical underweight unhealthy supermodels. But there isn't, is there? Yet, that image of underweight as ideal has caused more health issues than a few overweight models ever will. At worst, those overweight models are telling women that they don't have to be underweight to be beautiful. Not that overweight is ideal.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I just prefer to look at beauty not ugliness, in general.
Shapely, hourglass though overweight vs barrel shaped/loose rolls/massive abdomens looks good so I'd choose that type of model, were I the person in charge of such.

I disagree with the crowd who are stating the ads "glorify" obesity. That's absurd.

My objection is to those with rolls/ huge abdomens calling themselves curvy.
Ok, I can understand that being your preference.
However I think that it's not common for most overweight women to have an hourglass figure, most of us are going to carry that weight in our bellies or on our hips and thighs. It makes sense that retailers would want models the majority of overweight women can identify with, not those few who have a shapely but large figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Overweight is not just overweight regardless of shape. There are greater health risks to certain areas of fat build up and a woman who has obvious curves is carrying fat more evenly (less unhealthy) than a woman with more fat around the midsection (more unhealthy).
Point taken.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post

Still, no one here has proven that their concerns are truly about health. If they were, there would be a thread this long about the typical underweight unhealthy supermodels. But there isn't, is there? Yet, that image of underweight as ideal has caused more health issues than a few overweight models ever will.
I think bone thin models look horrid. No curves is as hideous as rolls are.

I think most would agree, proportional -no matter what the actual weight- hourglass shape is rather ideal.

Kind of like the 1940s beauties, Betty Grable type.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Ok, I can understand that being your preference.
However I think that it's not common for most overweight women to have an hourglass figure, most of us are going to carry that weight in our bellies or on our hips and thighs. It makes sense that retailers would want models the majority of overweight women can identify with, not those few who have a shapely but large figure.
Agree. And sure if profit is the goal target your customer base, definitely seems to make sense BUT...

I think though that shapely though heavy models would be more appealing even to the barrel shaped crowd. Upthread someone cited the unsuccessful Dove campaign that used aged, plain women as models. You don't see homely gals being used in cosmetic ads.

The obvi psychological manipulation behind that is the ads "trick" (not logically but subliminally) gals into thinking they will look as good if they buy the product. That's no secret.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Agree. And sure if profit is the goal target your customer base, definitely seems to make sense BUT...

I think though that shapely though heavy models would be more appealing even to the barrel shaped crowd. Upthread someone cited the unsuccessful Dove campaign that used aged, plain women as models. You don't see homely gals being used in cosmetic ads.

The obvi psychological manipulation behind that is the ads "trick" (not logically but subliminally) gals into thinking they will look as good if they buy the product. That's no secret.
Yeah, but we are talking underwear ads. I think it's a little harder to 'trick' women with that. I think that most women who find these kinds of models appealing is because we can look at them and see that they do have a belly, or rolls, or large thighs, just like we do. I doubt most of us are going to look at Ashley Graham https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...v4AUs_WqFueICv and think that we'll look like that if we just buy the same underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty