Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Target didn't have the lingerie model on the front page either. It was a few pages in, and only in one ad a few weeks ago. None of their other ads have featured their new lingerie line.
Target had overweight models on the website homepage, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. I definitely didn't go digging to see what I saw.

I'd welcome an industry policy against having underwear or swimwear models of any body type fronting for mailings and websites for most types of retailers, but the USA can't even get its act together enough to ban underweight models.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you don't care what men think then why should you care what men prefer or set as the benchmark for beauty?
As the "you don't have to be pretty" thread goes into, there is this entitlement among some men to be surrounded by pretty women. Even women who are strangers.

With this entitlement comes complaining, expectation, and the encouragement of a stigma against women who aren't attractive enough.

Quote:
There's no duty to be more attractive to males unless you are compelled to.
And I'd argue that continued stigma is an attempt to do that.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yeah, but we are talking underwear ads. I think it's a little harder to 'trick' women with that. I think that most women who find these kinds of models appealing is because we can look at them and see that they do have a belly, or rolls, or large thighs, just like we do. I doubt most of us are going to look at Ashley Graham https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...v4AUs_WqFueICv and think that we'll look like that if we just buy the same underwear.
Ermigawd she is gorgeous! I would be fine being heavy if I looked like her! When I was fat (3 years or so only, postmenopause) I looked so dumpy and lumpy.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Target had overweight models on the website homepage, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. I definitely didn't go digging to see what I saw.
Yeah, they sell lingerie online too. Of course it's going to be on their website.

Quote:
I'd welcome an industry policy against having underwear or swimwear models of any body type fronting for mailings and websites for most types of retailers, but the USA can't even get its act together enough to ban underweight models.
Maybe move to the middle east if you can't handle seeing a woman's body.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
*I realize this thread is about "models" and not women specifically but as noted most models are women.
Most models are women? Perhaps in the realm of high fashion, but we are talking about commercial modeling. There are as many models of a given gender as there are articles of clothing marketed to a given gender. At least that is my impression looking through the catalogs of Target, Land's End, L.L. Bean, etc. I admit I never look through Vogue or Elle, or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
References to overweight men have been passing and have not resulted in significant discussion within this thread. I'd be willing to bet a thread specifically about overweight men would likely attract few responses.

This sub-forum is radically disposed to and participated in by women. Women are generally way more concerned by discussions of fashion and body image issues, pro and con.

This thread has shown a couple of ardently trolling men, a very small sample of city-data's population, much less the population at large.

Why? Mostly, men don't care, whether a given body type interests them, disgusts them, or somewhere in between. Look at this or any other forums concerning fashion and beauty and most of the negative comments on women's apearance, whether their fashion sense or body shape, and you will find they are made by other women. With rare exception, men don't care about model size unless they have a psychological complex combined with poor impulse control in front of the keyboard.

In fact, if you want to see a forum with a high proportion of men (perhaps 100% men) discussing fat acceptance directed at exclusively women, you need to go to an incel or MGTOW forum.

I myself rarely find myself on this sub-forum except for the occasional case where a subject title under 'recent posts' on the sidebar of the General Forums list piques my interest. And then it is most often a subject where fashion intersects with psychology or sociology.

My view on this matter, the portrayal of women with the body types represented by Target and other clothing sellers, is that these merchants are capitalist enterprises following conventional business procedure by maximizing the exposure of their products to their market, not trying to make a social statement of acceptance or inclusion (though they may, and do, freely capitalize on that impression).

Quote:
Target seems to me to support fat acceptance. The more clear the company makes that, the less willing I am to maintain the customer-business relationship.
Fat acceptance is not the same thing, far from it in fact, as fat promotion, not anymore than wheelchair acceptance is the same thing as parapalegic promotion.

Go into any Target store, and when you get past the racks and racks of clothes of all sizes, you will see several aisles of workout and weightloss equipment.

If you want to express your feelings on the matter through boycott, that is fully within your rights. Somehow I feel that clothing merchants are not going to kowtow to simple bigotry over profits, though.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:24 PM

496 posts, read 552,988 times
Overweight models were long overdue, IMHO. It only makes sense to have models who show how the clothes will fit on the typical customers who will buy them. Otherwise, customers might buy clothes that look completely wrong on them, even though the model looked great.

It's a little strange that heavy models never seem to have heavy/double-chinned faces, the way "real" overweight women do, but that doesn't affect the fit of the clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me..

Old 03-26-2019, 06:45 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
fat shaming at its finest....find some empathy.
Yes, but on the other hand, all of the models you see, whether thin or plus-size, have beautiful faces and hair. You're never see a Plain Jane, even with a perfect figure, modeling clothes. If plus-size women with a pretty face can be considered attractive, why not a woman with a great body but a very ordinary-looking face?

I get that people come in all different shapes and sizes, and we all have to buy clothes. Still, I know that when I buy an article of clothing, it's not going to look the same on me as it does on the model. So, personally, I'd prefer to see a model that looks the way I'd like to look.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, but on the other hand, all of the models you see, whether thin or plus-size, have beautiful faces and hair. You're never see a Plain Jane, even with a perfect figure, modeling clothes. If plus-size women with a pretty face can be considered attractive, why not a woman with a great body but a very ordinary-looking face?

I get that people come in all different shapes and sizes, and we all have to buy clothes. Still, I know that when I buy an article of clothing, it's not going to look the same on me as it does on the model. So, personally, I'd prefer to see a model that looks the way I'd like to look.
People like looking at attractive things (animate or not). I wouldn't say that all plus-size female models are attractive above the neck, but apparently most are and I think that's intended to take some focus off bodies that to many aren't attractive. I think advertisers do hope to subconsciously make shoppers associate the facial beauty with the clothes making them look more beautiful, which I don't like because it's misleading and (for those more than slightly overweight) distracts from the priority of weight loss. Clothes that actually make overweight people look better tend to have structure, be made of materials that aren't very thin, provide lots of coverage, and (look at pictures of Adele) feature a sophisticated mix of color and pattern and will be recognized by many as effective whether or not the model's face is attractive. Also, there probably will have to be shapewear underneath to make a major difference. (Wait, this 'fat-hater' knows fashion? Yup.)

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-27-2019 at 12:38 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
I think advertisers do hope to subconsciously make shoppers associate the facial beauty with the clothes making them look more beautiful, which I don't like because it's misleading and (for those more than slightly overweight) distracts from the priority of weight loss.
Who says weight loss is a priority? You?

Adults get to decide their priorities on their own. Not everyone who is obese is going to prioritize weight loss.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Most medical professionals would agree with me that obese people should prioritize weight loss. Clearly, however, for many it's not a priority. Many messages, from retailers and peers, say just enjoy life.

I didn't state it explicitly last night, but Target and other affordable retailers almost never have clothing for large women that makes them look as good as possible, they just want viewers to subconsciously think that. Adele lost some weight - left obese status - and started wearing much nicer, more expensive clothes. I think that's how it should be.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-27-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty