Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most models are women? Perhaps in the realm of high fashion, but we are talking about commercial modeling. There are as many models of a given gender as there are articles of clothing marketed to a given gender. At least that is my impression looking through the catalogs of Target, Land's End, L.L. Bean, etc. I admit I never look through Vogue or Elle, or similar.
You quoted a footnote without quoting the original context, so of course you’re going to be confused. Go back to the original post and read the footnote within the context of the overall context. I’m speaking specifically about overweight people and statin within that context most models are women. In doing so I am alluding that complaints about overweight models are really just complaints about overweight women.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
A big, luscious hourglass (I'm female so don't infer I am leering by that adjective) is very different to the apple shaped blobs that try to claim they are beautiful or curvy.
You don't have to agree, but everyone has the right to believe in their own beauty. Who are you to tell people they MUST see themselves as ugly?

Last edited by charlygal; 03-28-2019 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You don't have to agree, but everyone has the right to believe in their own beauty. Who are you to tell people they MUST see themselves ad ugly?
What an odd thing for you to say.

Erm...I'm nobody and no different is saying the above, than those who state all are beautiful/rolls and double chins/cellulite are hot. Both are opinions, obvi. Neither cancels out the other.

Are we supposed to NOT ever state what we think is ugly?

Yes I guess nowadays one must pretend all are gorgeous/smart/awesome. And one should perceive themselves as beautiful no matter what they look like. Yeah sure. Good for therapy but truly unrealistic.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
What an odd thing for you to say.

Erm...I'm nobody and no different is saying the above, than those who state all are beautiful/rolls and double chins are hot. Both are opinions, obvi. Neither cancels out the other.

Are we supposed to NOT ever state what we think is ugly?

Yes I guess nowadays one must pretend all are gorgeous/smart/awesome.
Why not, each person has Beauty and value, why are we supposed to dismiss the value and inner beauty of someone simply because they don’t fit in the culturally defined ideal of beauty. Sometimes we can make an effort to culturally shift how we view people beyond our own biases.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Why not, each person has Beauty and value, why are we supposed to dismiss the value and inner beauty of someone simply because they don’t fit in the culturally defined ideal of beauty. Sometimes we can make an effort to culturally shift how we view people beyond our own biases.
A lofty and noble theory and fantasy promoted by the overly kindhearted/uggos themselves; false and impossible in actual practice. How many homely models exist? Celebrities? The Kardashians have ZERO redeeming value as human beings; yet because they are hot they are popular.

You don't actually believe Rhea Perlman is considered on the level of Beyonce by the public, do you?
(just to use a quick celebrity example; I could cite hundreds of others)

Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
A lofty and noble theory and fantasy promoted by the overly kindhearted/uggos themselves; false and impossible in actual practice. How many homely models exist? Celebrities? The Kardashians have ZERO redeeming value as human beings; yet because they are hot they are popular.

You don't actually believe Rhea Perlman is considered on the level of Beyonce by the public, do you?
(just to use a quick celebrity example; I could cite hundreds of others)
You don't get it, do you.

You are you and you only get to dictate what's inside your head. If you want to think you or other people are ugly, that's fine. Those thoughts live inside your head.

Other people are NOT you. They get to believe in their own beauty. They get to love themselves. They get to live and engage in life just like anyone else. They get to have self esteem, self love, and self worth. Those thoughts live inside their heads.

YOU don't get to make other people hate themselves.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You don't get it, do you.

You are you and you only get to dictate what's inside your head. If you want to think you or other people are ugly, that's fine. Those thoughts live inside your head.

Other people are NOT you. They get to believe in their own beauty. They get to love themselves. They get to live and engage in life just like anyone else. They get to have self esteem, self love, and self worth. Those thoughts live inside their heads.

YOU don't get to make other people hate themselves.
Unrealistic. Folks know what they look like. I KNOW how I look (postmenopausal old bag, no longer hot nor beautiful). I would be delusional if I look in mirror and thought wow I look fab! I should be on a magazine cover!

I'm pretty certain Kim Foxx (just saw photo of her in the Smollett thread so she popped into my head) knows she has a pretty hideous face (her lower face is massively disproportional) and Ava Gardner knew she was stunning. I doubt Eleanor Roosevelt thought she was a stunner, though Hedy Lamarr surely did. Lying to oneself doesn't make it so.

And has zero to do with "self worth" or worth period. Uggo Kim Foxx is an accomplished attorney so has "worth" aplenty vs any Kardashian (blech) but she is still ugly and they are still gorgeous (except the mother).

Old 03-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Unrealistic. Folks know what they look like. I KNOW how I look (postmenopausal old bag, no longer hot nor beautiful). I would be delusional if I look in mirror and thought wow I look fab! I should be on a magazine cover!

I'm pretty certain Kim Foxx (just saw photo of her in the Smollett thread so she popped into my head) knows she has a pretty hideous face (her lower face is massively disproportional) and Ava Gardner knew she was stunning. I doubt Eleanor Roosevelt thought she was a stunner, though Hedy Lamarr surely did. Lying to oneself doesn't make it so.

And has zero to do with "self worth" or worth period. Uggo Kim Foxx is an accomplished attorney so has "worth" aplenty vs any Kardashian (blech) but she is still ugly and they are still gorgeous (except the mother).
So because you believe this Kim person is ugly, Kim Fox is required to believe she is ugly? She has no personal agency?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
So because you believe this Kim person is ugly, Kim Fox is required to believe she is ugly? She has no personal agency?
No not because I think so.

I said I believe ugly folks KNOW they aren't beautiful and are ugly. And do not delude themselves (in the main).

If your position was correct we'd have ugly celebs galore (how many can you name?) ugly models galore and zero cosmetic surgery would be happening.

Your way seems very kind/Utopian but is patently false. How much evidence to support it do you see in society? (outside of therapy groups/self esteem workshops)

Old 03-28-2019, 10:54 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Moderately overweight Aretha Franklin looked more imposing and memorable than healthy-weight Aretha (seen once in a while over her career). But the former gets out of control in many people, and it's probably why she is dead.

Luke Perry is also dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty