Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:06 PM

243 posts, read 267,979 times

Advertisements

Tight pants, tank top, flat sandals are the way to go

Old 04-01-2019, 12:31 PM

49 posts, read 97,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Thanks, I do not remember seeing leggings very often in the 80's/early 90's. I see them every day now.

Many do not cover the rear, or just barely. I've become so used to them around, I stop noticing. Until yesterday when I was surrounded by four of them at the health food store. But it's near a gym and that must be why. I go to that health food store almost every day. I will report back.
When I first read your question I assumed that you were born in the mid to late 90s or later.
How on earth could you have lived through the 80s and early 90s and ended up weirded out by the work out wear of today?
Let me remind you.
In the 80s leggings/ spandex pants that were meant for athletic/ exercise purposes were worn like thick tights under leotards. It was fine when they were full bottom leotards. But then thong leotards became the trend and people continued to wear thong leotards over leggings until the mid 90s.
The thong leotards looked weird and uncomfortable. (And they were. I wore one once as a joke)
But how on earth can you be weirded out by seeing women wearing yoga pants at the grocery store after their yoga class? You lived through the eighties and 90s and saw women at the grocery store after their aerobics class wearing them too.
They are wearing the same pants except the ladies in the 80s and 90s were walking around with a leotard yanked up their a** on top of them.

I am totally fine with the way that leggings for athletic purposes are being worn today.
I am glad that people are no longer wearing thong leotards on top of them.
But people need to make sure to wear the right underwear underneath them.
I've seen some very strange looking behinds due to major fashion don'ts under garment situations.

Last edited by Iwdst57731; 04-01-2019 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Haven't leggings always been a part of children's clothing?
Yes

Old 04-01-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, OP; generally, they're supposed to be worn with a long tunic top, that covers the rear end. They're making them longer these days, too, so they're more like a mini-dress over leggings. There was a phase of that sometime back in the late 80's/early 90's, too.
You are fashionably confused.
He said that the women that he sees wearing them appear to have just come from the gym.
So he is obviously referring to the ones that are made for work out wear.
Most people do not wear long tunics over their work out wear and in some cases that can be dangerous.
I don't think I have ever known a person to wear a mini dress over their work out wear to work out in.

And the long shirt over leggings thing started in the early 80s and most of those leggings had stirrups.
Although stirrups aren't really a thing at the moment, leggings never went away.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Careful saying "should not" as if they do it harms society somehow. It's their choice. Maybe say "I don't like the look but "should" is a bit strong.
It maybe a strong word but IMO it fits in this case. and maybe they don't care how they look in them. I stand by my words "Should not" . Please don't tell me to be careful on what to say.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwdst57731 View Post
When I first read your question I assumed that you were born in the mid to late 90s or later.
How on earth could you have lived through the 80s and early 90s and ended up weirded out by the work out wear of today?
Let me remind you.
In the 80s leggings/ spandex pants that were meant for athletic/ exercise purposes were worn like thick tights under leotards. It was fine when they were full bottom leotards. But then thong leotards became the trend and people continued to wear thong leotards over leggings until the mid 90s.
The thong leotards looked weird and uncomfortable. (And they were. I wore one once as a joke)
But how on earth can you be weirded out by seeing women wearing yoga pants at the grocery store after their yoga class? You lived through the eighties and 90s and saw women at the grocery store after their aerobics class wearing them too.
They are wearing the same pants except the ladies in the 80s and 90s were walking around with a leotard yanked up their a** on top of them.

I am totally fine with the way that leggings for athletic purposes are being worn today.
I am glad that people are no longer wearing thong leotards on top of them.
But people need to make sure to wear the right underwear underneath them.
I've seen some very strange looking behinds due to major fashion don'ts under garment situations.

I remember leotards/thong in the 80/90's (Jane Fonda style) but women didn't wear them out to stores and all day long. And they are not as revealing.

Also, I was surrounded by them and thought it was because of the gym nearby. But then I noticed they are everywhere.

Here's what I'm seeing, like this teacher (or maybe student) below. This appears to be a real college in the UK. Older students. This was not the look in the 80s 90s. It's been trending up in 2000's. I was surrounded by four women who looked like this teacher (or student), and I noticed:

Last edited by james112; 04-01-2019 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I remember leotards/thong in the 80/90's (Jane Fonda style) but women didn't wear them out to stores and all day long. And they are not as revealing.

Also, I was surrounded by them and thought it was because of the gym nearby. But then I noticed they are everywhere.

Here's what I'm seeing, like this teacher below. This appears to be a real college in the UK. Older students. This was not the look in the 80s 90s. It's been trending up in 2000's. I was surrounded by four women who looked like this teacher, and I noticed:

I don't remember Jane Fonda wearing thong leotards. I think she stuck to the full bottom ones. But maybe she did.

Women most definately did wear them out to the stores and all day long.
Maybe not in your area, but in my area there were tons of house wives that would go to aerobics class then to the grocery store etcetera afterwards. Just like the women you saw at the store that obviously just got out of a yoga class or something.

I don't understand your revealing comment.
They are the same type of pants. But when a thong is worn over them that draws more attention to their a** so I feel the way that they are being worn now with out the thong looks more conservative.
Also people are wearing shirts with them now instead of just a leotard so that makes their outfits look more conservative as well when they are running errands after their work out.

I don't see a problem with what the teacher is wearing and if I saw her out I probably wouldn't notice her.
She is wearing pants. I don't see anything crazy or strange about a person wearing pants.

In the 80s people were wearing ripped jeans with big holes in the a** cheeks with fishnets and lace tights underneath.
Sorry dude. The 80s was not more conservative fashion wise.

I really don't understand what your issue is.
Anyone you see in any outfit is wearing it because they want to.
So why are you so confused?
You asked why people are wearing work out wear as pants or outside of the gym.
The answer is because that's what they want to wear.
If you like them that's great but that's not why they are wearing them.
They are wearing them because they like them.

And I think it's creepy how mystified you seem by them.
And I think it's creepy that you said that you were going back to the health food store to look for women in tight pants and that you would report back here later to tell about it.
You sound like a predator.
Just being honest dude.
Who goes to the health food store everyday?
Can't you buy what you need for the week then go back the next week like a normal person that isn't prowling for people in tight pants?
You already said you liked them so it's pretty obvious why you go to the health food store next to the gym everyday lol.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:01 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You are worthy of respect (in my opinion) if you present yourself in a respectful manner. As if you care about your appearance, your language, what people see when they see you. Because guess what - that is ALL anyone has to go on when they see you. And you know I am not talking about "people that wear leggings". I wear leggings. Not a thing wrong with them when worn appropriately.

You have stated time and again that you don't care what people think of your appearance. No. Matter. What. That is your choice.
I don't care what they think. I do care that they respect me, no matter what they think. That means no leering, touching, snide comments behind my back - you know, the things that decent people don't do. If someone sits there with his tongue out because some woman is wearing tight leggings, that's revealing part of his personality. The ugly part of his personality, I might add, and THAT is what we should be judging him on. Not the fact that the drooler is wearing a three piece suit.

How about holding off on the judgments until after you've actually gotten to talk to the person who is dressed so inappropriately? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't make snap judgments about anyone. I've met more than enough people in my life to know what a stupid thing that is to do. I've had homeless people dressed in rags be nicer to me than the well dressed rich yahoos that came into my store. I learned a long time ago that just because someone was wearing nice clothes and driving a nice car it didn't automatically make him a person who deserved my respect.

And I'm sorry, but after a six hour horse back ride, I am NOT going to run home and change into my dainty little dress just because I want to go to the store to pick up a cold drink. I can present myself in a respectful manner no matter how I'm dressed.

What do YOU wear out in public? Sixty years ago, you would have put on a dress and white gloves. And I bet I can still find older women who will take you to task for not doing that today using the same reasons you're giving me about how women are judged for how nice they dress in public. You'd say times have changed. You'd be right. And guess what? Times are changing again. But what doesn't go out of style is courtesy. Instead of getting your bowels in an uproar over women wearing leggings inappropriately in public, how about just coming up to say hello? So much easier.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Here's what I'm seeing, like this teacher (or maybe student) below. This appears to be a real college in the UK. Older students. This was not the look in the 80s 90s. It's been trending up in 2000's. I was surrounded by four women who looked like this teacher (or student), and I noticed:

Ps

If people wearing pants have such an impact on you what happens when you go to the beach?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwdst57731 View Post
Ps

If people wearing pants have such an impact on you what happens when you go to the beach?

Ps

They are not pants, they are leggings. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty