Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:15 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,441,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I saw some really, really cute bell-bottoms at Free People last week. I didn't try them on, but was really tempted. The thing is, I'm 70. Yeah, I wore bell-bottoms 50 years ago and loved them. I at reasonably attractive for my age, and have a decent figure. (There are pictures of me on my profile.) From that standpoint, I could probably pull off wearing them. But before I put out the money, I'm wondering what you all think. Would somebody my age look absolutely stupid wearing something like bell-bottoms. Should I just resign myself to "growing old gracefully" or go out and buy the clothes I like?
You're 70? Wow. And I mean wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:25 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
I'm reminded of some Eastern super-sophisticate that said that no real man would/should EVER wear jeans of any kind. No, I do not remember his name; he didn't come across as important enough to remember it.
I am firmly in the "If you like it, wear it! T'H E L L with "fashion and fashionistas"!" camp.
Being retired Navy, if bell bottoms for men ever came back, I would buy a couple pair and wear them. It would almost be "old home week".
If anybody doesn't like it, that is THEIR problem, not mine.
There are limits, though. I never wore custom tailored extra wide bell bottom uniforms, and I would not buy extra wide civvys, either.
I recently turned 77.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
NO!!! I lost 40 pounds over the last 3 years and am now at my "normal" weight. Just stocked up on skinny jeans although I prefer a boot cut. Because I'm short bell bottoms back in the day were always so long that by the time they were hemmed they looked like regular jeans. I didn't know about the petite section back then.

Katzpur looking at your profile pictures I think you can certainly wear bell bottoms again. You look great!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,294,262 times
My feeling (without even looking at your profile)...do it, go for it. As far as we know we only get this one life so be happy OP and be the best you can be.

If you're still hesitant, take a pair of appropriate shoes you would wear with them and go try them on.

That's all I've got for you.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Almost all my jeans are bootcut or wider.

I had bought a pair of REALLY wide-bottomed jeans from Maurice's...but I bought the wrong size...bought them too big...so all that extra material was too much. But I'm going to buy another pair, next size down.

(I'm going to be 62 on my birthday.)

Old 03-25-2019, 08:54 AM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Wow! You guys have really made my day! I fully expected at least half of the responses I got to be along the lines of, "What on earth are you thinking, woman? Act your age!" I'm going to buy me some bell-bottoms. (And no, there's no butterfly on the rear and they're not low-cut. )

Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
I saw some really, really cute bell-bottoms at Free People last week. I didn't try them on, but was really tempted. The thing is, I'm 70. Yeah, I wore bell-bottoms 50 years ago and loved them. I at reasonably attractive for my age, and have a decent figure. (There are pictures of me on my profile.) From that standpoint, I could probably pull off wearing them. But before I put out the money, I'm wondering what you all think. Would somebody my age look absolutely stupid wearing something like bell-bottoms. Should I just resign myself to "growing old gracefully" or go out and buy the clothes I like?
I don't know what kind of bell-bottoms you're talking about, exactly, but "flares" have been in for a couple of years now, among the (still!) skinny-jeans. They're a choice; certain figure types look better in a flared pant style. This has nothing to do with age-appropriateness. It's a style choice. If the style suits your type and your taste, wear it. IMO the choice carries no other meaning; there's no "only for youth" label on those pants.

IDK if you notice, OP, but bell-bottoms came back for a little while about 20 years ago or so, too. They're a great look for some people.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:14 AM

6,282 posts, read 4,166,669 times
I really like this especially the molded part.
A Message from the Crone

“Child, they will never stop telling you to act your age, they do it to me often.

And my reply has always been the same: I will act the age my soul sees fit. If you take issue with that, then I suggest you
turn away
and
take your leave,
because I’m not going to betray my heart and sacrifice myself on the fires of your expectation.

C. Ara Campbell

Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Can you try them on? If you do and you like them, why wouldn’t you wear them?

It is a free country and you should be able to dress as you please.

I am 72. My figure is not great, and never has been. I happily wear a pair of very full legged jeans that I bought about three years ago. I think I look good in them.

If you like them, buy and wear. Have fun planning your accessories and tops.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Quote:

Aww! You look great! You look like Jamie Lee Curtis kind of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty