Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 04:56 PM

7,984 posts, read 5,340,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You don't get mani-pedis and neither does your wife. I don't want to be rude, but no one cares. Spend your money how you like. It sounds as though you are bragging about your low maintenance wife, and your post comes off as judgmental.

All of us are aware of nail clippers and emery boards. What are we supposed to do? Have an "A Ha" moment?
I was thinking the same! Love your response!

I am not happy about the mani-pedi places I go to. I am in Maryland, small town--filled with Asian places. Just seems so mass produced. Although I am not crazy about them, I will say, I cannot duplicate what they do. They still make my toes amazing. I just do fingernails when I have an special event. I just get the regular done when I do, it is probably around 40-50 dollars for both.

About once a year I go to a nice Salon in Block Island, RI--love what they do for me, they are more expensive but I love the quality and service.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 11:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,309,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
As someone who has never had a professional manicure or pedicure in my life (and I'm 66), I find this thread extremely interesting- I've always wondered about what they cost because I see so many women in minimum-wage jobs with ultra-fancy nail treatments. OK, some may be DIY (or friends doing each others' manicures) but- wow. I do the math on getting one of these weekly and wonder how minimum-wage workers can afford it. They seem particularly popular among checkout clerks at stores since their hands are always in view.

This thread was definitely an "ah-ha" moment for me.
Bear in mind that there are budget places doing nails. They aren't always the best run, or the cleanest, but they do exist, and low wage workers aren't necessarily dropping the $$$ listed in this thread, which are predominantly describing salon to high-end spa treatments, versus strip mall nail bars.

One reason cashiers and others who are keeping their hands on display for work favor professional manicures is because they hold up longer than at-home polish jobs, in general. I DIY for my fingernails somewhat often, and know when I do, they won't hold up nearly as long as a salon job. But for the much lower cost, they don't have to.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:57 AM

11,021 posts, read 17,410,070 times
All I know is I got several reps agreeing with my post

Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 AM

11,011 posts, read 6,546,565 times
I am told $10, but I don't get them.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,557,168 times
basic pedis run about $29-$30 around here (Northern VA), manicures are all over the map b/c of the options. A combo mani/pedi will usually shave $5-$7 off the total price, depending on the type of manicure.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
basic pedis run about $29-$30 around here (Northern VA), manicures are all over the map b/c of the options. A combo mani/pedi will usually shave $5-$7 off the total price, depending on the type of manicure.
That's very reasonable, weexycom

Old 03-31-2019, 02:31 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,625,065 times
My lady pays $35 + tip for a basic mani/pedi in a Vietnamese shop in a strip mall in Los Angeles. Like NYC, they are literally everywhere.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:34 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
My lady pays $35 + tip for a basic mani/pedi in a Vietnamese shop in a strip mall in Los Angeles. Like NYC, they are literally everywhere.
Yes. The availability, and the fact that more women in LA and NYC think that manicures and pedicures are normal components of being well groomed, does drive down the price.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
All I know is I got several reps agreeing with my post
You probably did, because I'm sure there are many who identify with your spouse. I personally lean more toward DIY most of the time, but have also had professionally done ones for special events on occasion.

While I'm sure you're getting reps, the fact still remains that it's nonessential information for the purposes of this post, which is pretty obviously trying to get a baseline for average price range in various locales. If your wife doesn't pay to get her nails done, bully for her. But the purpose of the thread was specifically to gather information on pricing, so it's pretty clear that your input has little value for the purposes of that discussion.

It's like when people post looking for a restaurant recommendation, and get a bunch of people saying, "You can't get a better steak than grilled by me at my house!" Hey, great, but not helpful.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. The availability, and the fact that more women in LA and NYC think that manicures and pedicures are normal components of being well groomed, does drive down the price.
They're pretty darned available here in middle America, too, speaking from a midsized city. It used to be an urban/suburban thing, really, but now places like my small rural hometown also boast places you can get a basic salon manicure or pedicure. The place I'd go in my hometown to get my updo for high school prom (where everyone else in town went to get their updo for high school prom, so you had to book early) now has nail techs who do mani pedi services. And that's a pretty small, one-stoplight town in the cornfields. But this was not a thing before about a decade ago, there. Previously, all nailwork was DIY, because you had to drive pretty far out of town to go to a place with a nail bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty