Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It won't be dark till well after the ceremony.

You don't wear white to a wedding, and you don't wear black. Those really are the two main conventions. Surely you can find something else.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 03:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Wait — she doesn’t say that any of the friends who told her not to wear black are the bride. We can’t assume the bride said it.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:40 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,600,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Wait — she doesn’t say that any of the friends who told her not to wear black are the bride. We can’t assume the bride said it.

yep. Her friends told her she can't wear black.

But she needs to ask why they said that. Maybe they heard something from the bride. Or they just think that for some reason.

Two guest ladies wearing black at this beach wedding, I don't see a problem:

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-01-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 04:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My friend is having a destination wedding in a few months that we can’t really afford to go to but we are going. It’s a 5 pm wedding on a beach and reception on a patio. I have a nice black off the shoulder sun dress I was going to wear my friends tells me I can’t wear black. Is it really that wrong to wear black? My other friend showed me her dress which is similar but in blue.
It absolutely is wrong and considered bad luck to wear black to a wedding. Bad luck for a baby's Christening or Baptism too.

Black always has been and always will be the traditional colour of funerals, mourning, court houses of law, criminal sentencing, executions and other non-joyous formal events. It is a totally inappropriate colour for a wedding which is supposed to be a joyous formal event. Next on the list of what colour not to wear at a wedding is white, but any other colours are acceptable, usually in pastels and soft muted shades, nothing too striking so as to not detract from the bride's gown. Blue is a favourite good colour to wear for weddings because symbolically it represents sincerity, love, truth and good wishes.

If you wear black to a wedding you are insulting the bride and some other guests at the wedding will be superstitious enough to say you are wishing bad luck on the bride and groom's marriage and they will get snarky with you and be gossiping about you behind your back about the ignorant thing you did wearing black and they'll be crossing their fingers against you. Some superstitions or ancient symbolisms never die and they are there for a good reason. Go with honourable tradition. Anyone who tells you to "wear what you want and nobody else cares" is somebody who thinks they can speak for everyone else but is really only speaking for themselves out of ignorance, lack of class and lack of consideration for time honoured old traditions.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
My friend is having a destination wedding in a few months that we can’t really afford to go to but we are going. It’s a 5 pm wedding on a beach and reception on a patio. I have a nice black off the shoulder sun dress I was going to wear my friends tells me I can’t wear black. Is it really that wrong to wear black? My other friend showed me her dress which is similar but in blue.
Years ago, black was de rigueur for NY types’ weddings. But they were fancy indoor events.

Black used to be what mourners wore to funerals. Maybe the bride doesn’t want that look at her wedding. White used to be a no-no at weddings, because it was the prerogative of the bride. Maybe it still is?

Don’t you have another, more festive sundress to wear?

Old 03-31-2019, 04:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Two guest ladies wearing black at this beach wedding, I don't see a problem:
The one lady is wearing a white/black floral skirt. The other woman looks to be wearing a dress with a creamed color skirt below the bust line.

But most of the other woman are wearing light/bright colored clothing. I would not want to be sitting out in the hot afternoon sun like that wearing black. It sounds uncomfortably hot.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
I know traditionally black was not worn to weddings as it is associated with mourning. Many people ignore that these days.

I can guarantee that the last thing the bride and groom, or even their parents/families, will be thinking about is whether a guest wore black. And if they do--that's a problem. A mother of the bride or groom in black--still a big no no, but a guest, go for it.

The downside is that it will be hot if it's warm out. I'm sure the bride or groom will just be happy you spent the money and time to be there.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:48 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
It’s just common sense to not wear white or black to a wedding. But even if you didn’t know, you said the bride asked you to not wear black so you already have your answer. What you’re really asking is of you should listen to the bride. That’s up to you. Usually when I go to a wedding I care about the person getting married and want my actions- such as how I dress- to reflect that. However she. I was bride- I didn’t pay any attention to what guests worse except my husbands step brother who came dressed in full military dress. We are not formal people, no one wore a suit other than the groomsmen, so that really stuck out.
Read--she never said it was the bride that asked for no black. She said "friends."

Old 03-31-2019, 05:09 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
I wouldn't worry about tradition. You don't want to wear dark colors to the beach. It's too hot.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:13 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Find another outfit. Or ask the bride if that would bother her. If it is very casual, I doubt she cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty