Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 702 times

Advertisements

It's strange that I should come across this discussion. I was literally just watching a short film about a support group for people who look much younger than their ages. At first I didn't see their point, but I guess there's gotta be a few downsides.

It was called ageless anonymous...makes for curious watching.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8TY-oYv94[/url]

As a side not, I also thinking dressing younger has an impact on how a person is "aged".

Last edited by kingsleyi; 04-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
A lot of people point out those who can afford to have work done as their reason for looking young but I believe and have said so many times before that I don’t at all think that Botox and other procedures necessarily make a person look more youthful. A good example: a few days ago I was watching the local news and there was a story about two sisters, socialites; both long blonde hair, tall and thin, heavily made up, trendy looking. I thought to myself that those are some fit and fashionable ladies in their mid-60s - early 70s. Turns out they were only 50. Sometimes trying too hard has the opposite effect.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I live in a senior community. I was talking to one of the residents who is originally from Ireland.

She looks about 65. Long dark red hair, petite, and it turns out she's in her 80's.

I think it's due to low sun exposure most of her life and maybe genetics too. When I expressed my astonishment at her age, you could tell that she gets asked all the time.

She just said all she uses is Lubriderm Lotion
I think it's really lack of sun damage to her skin. I've seen people in Florida whose skin looks like leather.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I live in a senior community. I was talking to one of the residents who is originally from Ireland.

She looks about 65. Long dark red hair, petite, and it turns out she's in her 80's.

I think it's due to low sun exposure most of her life and maybe genetics too. When I expressed my astonishment at her age, you could tell that she gets asked all the time.

She just said all she uses is Lubriderm Lotion
I think it's really lack of sun damage to her skin. I've seen people in Florida whose skin looks like leather.
No, it is most likely genetics. I have lived in Florida all my life, almost 70 and have virtually unlined face. I know many others like this, also. NOT saying I look 20 years younger mind you as I have other signs of aging. just making a point that there is a lot more at play than the amount of sun one gets. Again, I believe it's a combo of genetics, NOT SMOKING, drinking plenty of water and eating healthy/exercise. Just common sense health habits. I too know a few women in their 80s who look like 60s. They are slim, vibrant and do a lot of dancing/yoga.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So there's this ongoing thread in the Work and Employment section where a male poster who is 62 claims he is repeatedly mistaken to be 25-30 from various sources. He also mentioned that he's seen an older man in his seventies that looks to be in his forties.

Me personally I've never met anyone who could pass off for 20 years younger, let alone more. 10-15 years maybe but that's not too many. I just don't think it's possible minus the hair dye, makeup, and surgeries. I think there's some people who look great for their age but their face doesn't hid the lines and wrinkles.

Do you think it's possible to look 20+ years younger than your age? How many people have you seen in your lifetime that fits in that category?
I get that all of the time. Not so much when I let my hair grow out and people can see the grey. But 5 years ago I was always like 20 to someone when in actuality I was in my early forties.

It's not unusual. I don't smoke. Don't drink. No drugs. No pharmaceuticals. I don't do a lot of things, I'll put it that way.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I have seen/known some black ladies who were late 60s and early 70s and one 74 y/o white lady who easily appeared to be 55 max.

The white lady was tall, slender, had dark natural hair, wavy and abundant but cut short and stylishly, NO MAKEUP. I used to run into her when walking my dog (she'd be out walking) and after speaking a few times I learned her real age I was floored. She had gorgeous bone structure and pale skin.

Two black ladies come to mind, both stunners as well as looking to be no more than 50-55 max and 48 would not be stretch. I guessed them at that age range. One blew me away when she stated she has a son "who is 50" .

A white gal aged 38 I know who has SEVEN KIDS but is a size three, beautiful face, tomboyish but long gorgeous hair, no makeup, looks around 22 to me

These few come immediately to mind but I have seen gals in 50s who look in 30s, many are black a few Hispanic.

Interestingly none of the gals abovementioned were homely. All had lovely bones and features.
I cannot recall ever seeing a homely gal who looked far younger.

For perspective: I'm a 55 y/o white female who looks 55. I have kids aged 19-36.

I have seen many men and women look much younger and certainly a great many of which present as twenty years younger. A tremendous portion of them were black men and women.

Something about their genetic code, their skin appears to be very supple and creamier.

I have a Marine-- a retired Marine in my community and always in passing we'll bark "Semper Fi." Over the passed year we've chatted a bit more as he inquires about my recent deployments and news around our beloved Corps.

Admittedly I presumed said Marine to be in his mid-late 40's. Until he dropped a bomb one evening. He said "Captain, wow has the Marine Corps changed, your Marines are always deployed or training out of country, at 72..I just can't imagine excitement."

I couldn't believe my ears. He ages me over 4 decades yet he's always on the trail running just as hard as myself and in the gym lifting with the same intensity.

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 04-21-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post

Selfie I took about a month ago. I’m a nearly 28 year old man.
Wow. Thanks for bravely sharing. Yeah, this is what we're talking about. I have no doubt you'll look the same at 32. Do you find this to be a problem in your professional life (let alone--social life), if I may ask? Some people really struggle with it.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
No, it is most likely genetics. I have lived in Florida all my life, almost 70 and have virtually unlined face. I know many others like this, also. NOT saying I look 20 years younger mind you as I have other signs of aging. just making a point that there is a lot more at play than the amount of sun one gets. Again, I believe it's a combo of genetics, NOT SMOKING, drinking plenty of water and eating healthy/exercise. Just common sense health habits. I too know a few women in their 80s who look like 60s. They are slim, vibrant and do a lot of dancing/yoga.
I agree with in-newengland, that in some cases it's due to excessive sun exposure. I have a brother who was really into tanning as a teen, and has been, ever since. He now looks prematurely aged. At a family reunion some years ago, one of our own cousins, when I walked up to them and joined in a conversation, asked me if he was my uncle. His facial skin does look like leather. It's sad. So unnecessary. But as you say, there can be many factors involved in other cases. Excessive alcohol consumption or smoking (or both). Chronic inadequate sleep. And of course, diseases of overeating: diabetes ages people.

If you've lived in FL all your life, and your face still looks youthful, I wonder if you've used sunscreen faithfully? Or not? Just lucky in that regard? Or do you have siblings, who look similarly youthful, leading you to believe it's a genetic thing? Just curious.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with in-newengland, that in some cases it's due to excessive sun exposure. I have a brother who was really into tanning as a teen, and has been, ever since. He now looks prematurely aged. At a family reunion some years ago, one of our own cousins, when I walked up to them and joined in a conversation, asked me if he was my uncle. His facial skin does look like leather. It's sad. So unnecessary. But as you say, there can be many factors involved in other cases. Excessive alcohol consumption or smoking (or both). Chronic inadequate sleep. And of course, diseases of overeating: diabetes ages people.

If you've lived in FL all your life, and your face still looks youthful, I wonder if you've used sunscreen faithfully? Or not? Just lucky in that regard? Or do you have siblings, who look similarly youthful, leading you to believe it's a genetic thing? Just curious.
Rut4truth - the thing about the sun - there is a myth that the sun makes you look old. The answer is - yes and no. People need to get sun for Vitamin D. What they DON'T need to do is bake endlessly in it. Sunscreen or no, sun should be taken in moderation. In my youth I went through a period of long tanning sessions but the rest of my life has been just normal exposure ( I ride my bike outside daily). I never let myself burn. I am of Spanish heritage (although not dark skinned, northern Spain where most are fair skinned) ) but I have brown eyes. Most of my relatives aged very well. Many of Latin heritage here are the same. Most of us never use any sunscreen ( I have never used it in my life)

The other thing about sun is that if one gets a lot of sun yet also leads an unhealthy lifestyle (as in smoking and drinking) the sun will age that person faster. So it really isn't all that easy to say if sun was a factor in how well someone aged. You mentioned those points. I have good genes, drink a LOT of water (which I have for decades), don't smoke, eat mostly healthy, and exercise regularly. I believe all of these factors add up to looking better/younger as I age. My husband looks young as well, people guess his age about 10 years younger all the time. I have kept him healthy! lol I nag him to drink water, give him supplements and encourage him to eat properly. One thing I do believe is that GOOD HYDRATION alone will help keep a person looking healthier and younger. I just can't stress this enough. Many may believe they drink enough, but really don't.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Rut4truth - the thing about the sun - there is a myth that the sun makes you look old. The answer is - yes and no. People need to get sun for Vitamin D. What they DON'T need to do is bake endlessly in it. Sunscreen or no, sun should be taken in moderation. In my youth I went through a period of long tanning sessions but the rest of my life has been just normal exposure ( I ride my bike outside daily). I never let myself burn. I am of Spanish heritage (although not dark skinned, northern Spain where most are fair skinned) ) but I have brown eyes. Most of my relatives aged very well. Many of Latin heritage here are the same. Most of us never use any sunscreen ( I have never used it in my life)

The other thing about sun is that if one gets a lot of sun yet also leads an unhealthy lifestyle (as in smoking and drinking) the sun will age that person faster. So it really isn't all that easy to say if sun was a factor in how well someone aged. You mentioned those points. I have good genes, drink a LOT of water (which I have for decades), don't smoke, eat mostly healthy, and exercise regularly. I believe all of these factors add up to looking better/younger as I age. My husband looks young as well, people guess his age about 10 years younger all the time. I have kept him healthy! lol I nag him to drink water, give him supplements and encourage him to eat properly. One thing I do believe is that GOOD HYDRATION alone will help keep a person looking healthier and younger. I just can't stress this enough. Many may believe they drink enough, but really don't.
Thanks. I've never thought about hydration as being a potential help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty