Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times

Advertisements

Both my parents looked way younger than their years. My son, who is in his 40s, is always mistaken for someone in his 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 11:33 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times
When I was younger, people thought that I was WAY younger than I was. When I got cancer, and all the nasty treatments, [worth it, still kicking] it changed so much that I now look even older than I am [65] People seeing pictures of me 7 years ago have commented that my daughter [one time my grand daughter] looked so much like me. People get all apologetic when I tell them that is me before cancer, but I just find it funny.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
My older sister is frequently thought to be 15 years younger than she really is. She has always looked youthful and carries herself well. People always think I'm older than she is even though I look younger than my years as well. I am not in her category though.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
20 years younger? Yes. That I've seen often.
30 years younger? Meaning mean someone in their 70s passing for 40s? and in their 60s passing for 30s? Uh, no.
40 years younger? Meaning someone in their 70s passing for 30? and in their 60s passing for 20s? No on that too.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:36 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
I have a cousin who is almost 80 and she has zero wrinkles and still has all of her jet black hair (in a 1970s flip style, which dates her). People nevertheless think she is in her 40s.

My mother looks like she is 60 but she is 90. She had to start dyeing her hair at 80. But she still has a full head of hair! People constantly tell me I look like I am in my 30s, but I'm actually past 50. My hair is still wavy and chestnut brown -- no grays yet. I did adjust my dress about 10 years ago to comport with the change from suit-and-tie to the millennial uniform among managers in my industry (tech).

I think it has to do with facial bone structure and subcutaneous fat, on my Mom's side of the family. No wrinkles for any of us. My oldest brother, who resembles my Dad's side much more, is 57 and looks 57. He looks his age even though he is very skinny (140# and 6'0" tall).

Old 04-04-2019, 01:56 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I see lots of people in their 60's that could be mistaken for 50, but 30??? Never, ever, ever. It's laughable. People in their 20's to early 30's still have that soft, smooth, plump skin that looks like a baby's smooth little butt. People in their 60's generally have, at least, fine lines, droopy eyelids (to a degree), funky necks, sun damage in the forms of age spots, or just generally craggy looks (men). I live in a community of mostly retired folks, and there is NOT ONE in their 60's that could pass for a day under 40. He's just kidding himself, in a serious case of denial.

We have one lady here, who's at least in her late 60's, who has had plastic surgery and her skin looks awesome, and she tries to dress much younger than her years, but even that is hopeless because the styles she chooses are stuff like the older ladies in Palm Springs wear. She also wears makeup (air brush type makeup) everywhere, all the time. So that's a dead giveaway. Young people usually look great even without makeup.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Ralph Macchio is 57 and might be able to pull off 37. For guys, it helps if you still have a full head of hair, no gray hair at all, little to no wrinkles and are thin with no turkey neck. Like others have mentioned, I'm sure you might be able to find a handful of people out there (since there are billions!) that can pull this off and it comes down to genetics, sun exposure, if they had plastic surgery or not, etc.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Years ago I wanted someone to walk with in one of the local parks and answered a Craig's List ad for someone locally who was looking for the same. I was a married female, he was a single guy, but he seemed to just want a platonic walking partner, so I thought there wouldn't be any harm in it. His ad said he was 45. I was 55. I told him that even though I was ten years older I was sure I could keep up with him as I'm a very fast walker compared to any one of any age.

We met in the park. I had all this cognitive dissonance when I saw him walk towards me, thinking it couldn't be the right guy. There was no way this guy was 45! I could tell he was older than me! Turned out he was 62 (he admitted it). Full head of blond hair, tall, upright posture, minimal wrinkles---but he still couldn't pass for 17 years younger. I had no idea why he would have misrepresented his age since he was supposedly looking looking for a platonic walking partner---it wasn't for dating, but perhaps he really did want to meet someone and thought this would be a better way. But what's the point of lying when you will eventually be found out (especially when someone takes a look at you)?

Old 04-04-2019, 05:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Even people who have had facelifts and treatments on their face have hands, necks, and decolletage that belies what was done to their face. I know a woman like this. Got her age spots and some wrinkles worked on. Her face is technically smooth, but the skin below her face on her neck doesn't match (like women who apply foundation to their face but it stops at the chin line). And the skin on her face just looks kind of stretched and smoothed out and dull--no glow, no plumpness, no natural texture.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:37 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So there's this ongoing thread in the Work and Employment section where a male poster who is 62 claims he is repeatedly mistaken to be 25-30 from various sources. He also mentioned that he's seen an older man in his seventies that looks to be in his forties.

Me personally I've never met anyone who could pass off for 20 years younger, let alone more. 10-15 years maybe but that's not too many. I just don't think it's possible minus the hair dye, makeup, and surgeries. I think there's some people who look great for their age but their face doesn't hid the lines and wrinkles.

Do you think it's possible to look 20+ years younger than your age? How many people have you seen in your lifetime that fits in that category?
Yes, I do know some people. These people don't work or work part-time for whatever that is worth (maybe more sleep, etc.). They are also more secure in their finances (own homes, etc). Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy sleep and good skin care, I guess.

I refer to these people as looking 20 years younger, not 20 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty