Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm in my 40s and occasionally appearing in videos for my company, I am playing around with makeup. I do not have a very steady hand and the skin on my eyelids has gotten a bit "crepe-y" (shudder), so doing things like eyeliner is HARD. I don't have the muscle memory of how to do it because I never wore makeup when younger. I have some liquid eyeliner, but I'm having a heck of a time when I mess up because it just WON'T COME OFF.

I end up looking like an aging goth for the next few days.

A friend told me to use micellar wipes, but those aren't doing the trick. What's the best makeup remover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
For eye make-up mistakes I keep a bottle of Clinique eye make-up remover handy. I'm specifically talking about the eye makeup remover, not the general remover. I dip a q-tip into it to gently remove eye make-up mistakes. It works very well. Since I often get a free sample bottle it lasts a long time.

BTW--for someone new to using eyeliner, I might suggest a pencil or a gel eyeliner stick. It's much more forgiving than liquid and easier to apply.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Now that I'm in my 40s and occasionally appearing in videos for my company, I am playing around with makeup. I do not have a very steady hand and the skin on my eyelids has gotten a bit "crepe-y" (shudder), so doing things like eyeliner is HARD. I don't have the muscle memory of how to do it because I never wore makeup when younger. I have some liquid eyeliner, but I'm having a heck of a time when I mess up because it just WON'T COME OFF.

A friend told me to use micellar wipes, but those aren't doing the trick. What's the best makeup remover?
I don't know if this is going to help your situation if you're only looking for a good makeup remover for when you "mess up". Otherwise this would be my recommendation, I have been using it, literally, for decades and have never sought any other makeup remover. Of course, the usual...YMMV.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
For eye make-up mistakes I keep a bottle of Clinique eye make-up remover handy. I'm specifically talking about the eye makeup remover, not the general remover. I dip a q-tip into it to gently remove eye make-up mistakes. It works very well. Since I often get a free sample bottle it lasts a long time.

BTW--for someone new to using eyeliner, I might suggest a pencil or a gel eyeliner stick. It's much more forgiving than liquid and easier to apply.
Yes, great advice.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

I'll third that.

I have a brow kit and I'm not sure how they do it, but the colors are kind of creamy powders that really last. It comes with a very thin, angled brush. Sometimes I'll even use it as a liner at the outer corners of my eyes to create a subtle cat eye. It gives you a lot of precision and control. I've never really liked liquid liner for the same reason Jrz has stated, it's a pain to correct any mistakes, and the liquid is more loosey-goosey to use than other types of products.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
https://www.ulta.com/hydrating-face-...Impprod4190255

CeraVe also makes an oily skin formulation.

I apply it all over my face, and wash off with a warm, wet, washcloth.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:31 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
DHC Deep Cleansing Oil is the original product from Japan that started the cleansing oil method for removing face makeup. It is wonderful. You have to apply it with clean, dry hands and massage it around for a bit so it can do the work. Then you rinse with water and wash with a different face cleanser.

Garnier's micellar water with the pink cap works very well for me. The one with the blue cap is for removing waterproof/extra tough makeup. You could get a bit of that on the end of a q-tip and remove the eyeliner boo-boos without disturbing the rest of your makeup. Simple brand micellar water is also a great product.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:39 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Clinique's Take The Day Off balm. I have never seen anything work like it to remove eyeliner, mascara, etc. It comes in a jar and lasts me quite a while since I don't do a full make-up except 2 or 3 days a week. I also don't care for the micellar water, it doesn't remove mascara very well and I don't wear waterproof mascara either.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Any good natural oil. I use argan oil - melts eyemakeup like a charm.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:37 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Any good natural oil. I use argan oil - melts eyemakeup like a charm.
I have begun using argan oil under my moisturizer and night cream. It is wonderful for my dry, temperamental skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty