Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Don't wear them, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There. I said it. I dislike polyester "performance" polo shirts. And polyester "performance" tees. and just about anything polyester. There are dozens of brands of fabrics that are some variation of the words "cool" "dry" "fast drying" "wicks moisture" etc.

They are all just a form of polyester, and polyester makes my skin crawl in hot weather.

I like cotton. Yes, simple 100% cotton - "the fabric of our lives." It feels right when it is hot out. Of course, color matters for comfort - wearing a black shirt in the summer in Phoenix or Las Vegas isn't wise. While white is boring, it is also more comfortable, along with other light colors.

I'm I alone? Does anyone else dislike polyester and prefer cotton?
I don't know if you're alone but I like polyester. But it depends on what you get. The stuff I wear is usually thinner than cotton and does a great job of wicking moisture. Even though it's all polyester you still get what you pay for.

Cotton isn't inherently better just because its cotton. I need pima cotton. I got some CK "liquid cotton" shirts that are more comfortable than they look. I stick with CK and Perry Ellis. The fabrics are great for the money. Nautica is okay, but is usually more expensive considering what you get for the money. Everyone else you pay a premium. I don't even wear linen anymore.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yeah, I'll wear poly/cotton blend sometimes.

I'm now seeing some clingy tight men's jeans and other casual pants that have 3% spandex in them while the rest is cotton. I don't like these either, as I don't really like form-fitting clothing (the family jewels like to breathe).

I just don't get it.
I'm going to start wearing jeans in like 2025 when skinny is no longer in style and people start wearing loose fitting jeans again.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:00 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Interestingly, cotton/poly pique polos seem to be in style right now with a lot of brands since many prefer the lower maintenance characteristics of polyester but maintaining the look of a traditional pique polo. Plus polyester can add some desirable features such moisture-wicking and sun protection.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:57 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I remember reading that mountain climbers would never wear cotton. They called it the "death fabric". I don't care for man made materials but it is very hard finding something that is 100% cotton or 100% linen these days. I think part of it may be that it wrinkles and most people don't want to iron clothes anymore.
Cold + weight.

Cotton is thermally useless when wet. It's also an excellent sponge. So you're wearing heavy, useless clothing. Better of just being naked than wearing wet cotton. Just drop it down the mountain. If it's cool or occasionally drizzling, it will never dry and be useful again anyway. Wool or synthetics.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Cotton is great if it is paper thin. I know a lot of old timers hate that, including some of my peers, but I've had everything in between and I hate a thick polo that does not breathe! Give me a paper thin cotton I can see the light shine through, and I'm good to go. I don't like thick, sunblock, type of cotton just so you can sweat in it like you've been running a marathon and all you did was sit in a car without any air conditioning.

25 years ago when I was during my thing before the polyester was as tech as it is now all we had was cotton, or cotton/poly mix. I usually wore the PRL Madras shirts. They wrinkled a lot, which I hate, and I'd sweat anyway but I loved the way that they breathed. You can still get them for like $98. I felt they were as good as any linen you could get back in those days.

I probably wouldn't wear them now because I don't do plaid so much but I wouldn't mind a solid color one or one with a subtle pattern. The brands I'm into these days don't do madras. Anyway those weren't pique polo shirts but I'm just saying, this conversation brings back memories. These days I'll just do a nice moisture wicking polo. They don't cost that much; you can pretty much get whatever you need for $50 or less maybe even $15 on sale. They don't wrinkle. They drape well and you don't look foolish because the sweat evaporates. Do they keep you dry, like an antiperspirant? No. But you can easily overheat in a cotton or natural material that refuses to let go of the moisture. That's how people end up dehydrated, etc.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:35 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
As for cotton, many interlock polos are still cotton (sometimes using pima cotton), but pique often tends to be going towards blends now. Interlock polos tend to be a spring/summer staple with some brands that show no sign of going away, since they present a more luxurious look than pique polos. There is an interlock polo that I really love in such a shade of pink that pairs well with it that I bought in the spring of 2018. Interlock IMO tends to look better in spring shades such as light pastels or bright colors.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for cotton, many interlock polos are still cotton (sometimes using pima cotton), but pique often tends to be going towards blends now. Interlock polos tend to be a spring/summer staple with some brands that show no sign of going away, since they present a more luxurious look than pique polos.
Good points.

Your better interlock polos can get away with being all cotton. Those I described earlier in the forum are interlock. But I also have some polyester pique. I don't think I have any cotton pique polos anymore. Back in the day all I would wear is pique but I came across some nice interlock and never looked back.

I suspect that the problem the OP is describing is with cheaper pique polos. Upgrade to an interlock with a fine cotton that one can wear for more than just casual that does the job OP probably won't look back. Like I'd never wear a Chaps pique polo. I might wear a Polo one if the cotton were lighter; there is a huge difference in both the weight, the mesh and how great the cotton breathes. Most people would never know the difference because they're not willing to spend that much.

Polyester being what it is for performance is cool but with the right weight cotton you can get by without it on pique.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,513 times
No, you are not alone !
i like to wear cotton most of the time , but 100% polyester T-shirts are good for gym and any kind of sports.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Those performance fabric shirts look AMAZING on well built men.

If you aren't I'd probably skip them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty