U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 AM

12,903 posts, read 3,348,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Seems like the 90s/early 2000s all over again. Men used to wear those tropical themed shirts back then.

Even before then. My dad used to have a shirt like that. The film From Here to Eternity, made in the 1950s, was located in Hawaii and I seem to recall the men in that film wearing similar and that is probably where the style started.

Middle-aged men have always been drawn to that style because they don't have to tuck it in and it hides their middle-aged paunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 05:14 PM

84 posts, read 15,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in Florida; we have pineapples & flamingos on clothes year round. I don't buy clothes like that. I stick to solids, stripes or animal prints, occasionally a paisley.
Think "Bealls".

Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 1,896,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Even before then. My dad used to have a shirt like that. The film From Here to Eternity, made in the 1950s, was located in Hawaii and I seem to recall the men in that film wearing similar and that is probably where the style started.

Middle-aged men have always been drawn to that style because they don't have to tuck it in and it hides their middle-aged paunch.
One rule to remember about Hawaiian shirts; it's a sin to tuck it in.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:25 PM

660 posts, read 133,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Here is my pink pelican print shirt.
I love how you have pink everything!

Old 01-05-2020, 05:57 PM

1,753 posts, read 513,828 times
I think pineapples/palm trees especially are cute, and flamingos whimsical, though I admit it's not something I'm likely to buy/wear/display (depending on what the item is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
It's just another latest thing to be popular. I remember when I used to see OWLS on everything (clothing & fashion jewelry).

I DO notice a LOT of pineapple fashion jewelry for ladies & I even got a nice pair of pineapple earrings a couple of weeks ago. I've always liked pineapples (& lemons). They're fun.
At least we mostly seem to be "over" mustaches on everything. *headdesk* (I was getting a little sick of the flip-flop theme, too.)

Old 01-06-2020, 06:46 PM

12,903 posts, read 3,348,457 times
Pineapple motif was very common in Colonial America. You see it on fabrics, ceramics, glassware, furniture, accessories, architectural ornamentation. I always wondered why. Had the civilized world just discovered it on their world travels?

Old Today, 05:12 PM

11,411 posts, read 15,010,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Pineapple motif was very common in Colonial America. You see it on fabrics, ceramics, glassware, furniture, accessories, architectural ornamentation. I always wondered why. Had the civilized world just discovered it on their world travels?
In part, yes.

https://flagladygifts.com/blogs/news...ty-and-welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty