Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Opal is my birthstone so looking for something to own. I don't care if it's pre-owned as long it's genuine and natural. I've gone to Rock, Gem, Mineral expos and they're so pretty but so expensive on my budget. Is there any place other than eBay to try buying one at reasonable price. I don't care if there's other stones as well on the pendant as long as they're real.
Can you go in person?? I would think Opal's would be at many locations. We used to buy our stuff from Avon....And, I've seen Opal's over the years at places like Sam's club....even jewelry counters in many big box, or Dept. stores. Also, I did a simple search online for Opal jewelry and several links came up with reasonable prices....Try that.

Last edited by JanND; 05-05-2019 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 06:13 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Depends what you consider a "reasonable" price.
Under $200.00, especially online. I'm just not comfortable making a HUGE purchase online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Pawn shops. Or the estate jewelry department of a good jewelry store.

I own a beautiful vintage gold chain bought from a jewelry store that carried some estate pieces. It was expensive, but not as much as new.

You will not find a first class opal cheap. The cheaper ones are milkier, and less blue.
My mom has an opal necklace. It's light blueish in color. Although when I went to this rock and gem show, the Ethiopian Opals I saw were whitish in color. I have no clue to tell the difference between real and fake. Even the ones that I had seen in jewelry stores in the mall were whitish in color.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Try ETSY.

You can seriously find some incredible items on there from all over the world. I could go broke just buying "nice things" I don't need.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:55 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Under $200.00, especially online. I'm just not comfortable making a HUGE purchase online.
Gold or sterling silver? And is that just for a pendant, or does it need a chain with it?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I'd be cautious about buying fine jewelry online. Opals really should be seen in person before buying. Many of the lower end ones are triplets or lab created. Those can range from attractive to gaudy.

If you don't have an aversion to buying triplets there are some well done ones available at a more conservative price. Just be sure you know you aren't overpaying.

And remember that opals are water containing stones. To care for a good one properly it should be coated occasionally with a lubricant to keep from cracking.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:51 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:

My mom has an opal necklace. It's light blueish in color. Although when I went to this rock and gem show, the Ethiopian Opals I saw were whitish in color. I have no clue to tell the difference between real and fake. Even the ones that I had seen in jewelry stores in the mall were whitish in color.
Don't rush into buying any opal jewelry until you learn more about opals. Go to gem shows and ask questions, and ask the dealers to show you what to look out for.

And if you truly can't tell the difference between what's real and what's fake, then stick to buying the faux costume jewelry pieces for now. There is really no need to spend money on fine jewelry if you can't tell the difference in quality. And IMO for you to wear REAL opals because it's your birthstone isn't going to bring you extra good luck in your life.

BTW what is your actual goal? Opals are your birthstone, but why not buy one really nice piece of opal jewelry for special occasions, then buy some pretty faux opal pieces for casual and work wear... especially since opals are soft delicate stones and can't be banged around.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
I'm from the United States.

They'll ship! I've bought motorcycle parts from Australia a number of times with no problems.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Costco has had some beautiful, highly rated opals and good prices in-store.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:24 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:

Shopgoodwill.com. Goodwill auction site

Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Look on QVC or HSN sites. They have good return policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty