Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 12:47 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Seriously, how many of these tattoo bashing threads do we need?

If you don't like them, fine, why create a thread baiting and antagonizing people who have them or want one?

It's too bad tattoo threads aren't automatically deleted on this section of the forum.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
she survived a heart attack, had heart surgery and just this past week her cardiologist informed her that she has a heart defect.
I suspect this has a lot to do with it. When you've already been through a life threatening experience, then somebody says, "Hey, here's another disease for you," you kind of stop worrying about what other people think, and start trying to cram as much into life as you can.

Your daughter probably has other (valid) reasons to want a tattoo.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:39 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I consider them like jewelry or artwork. If I spent a couple hundred on an original piece of art or jewelry I’d display or wear it always. That’s not a spur of the moment, trendy type thing in my book. It has nothing to do with how people perceive me, or what they think of me. It’s something for me, for my perception of me.

I don’t have any, but would like one. My husband has one.

If you don’t like them, don’t get one. OP, you should ask your wife why she wants one, although with the things she’s been through, I don’t see why it’s an issue with you.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:04 PM

274 posts, read 237,431 times
I have a tattoo, so I'm definitely not in the hate camp. If the OP's wife wants to get one or fifty of them, that's her business. She's definitely old enough to know what she wants to do with her own body. My tattoo is very meaningful to me, and I can see where getting matching mother/daughter tats would have special meaning for the OP's wife.

My only objection to people getting tattoos, is when they get them in obvious places that can't be covered up, then complain that they don't get hired for jobs because of their tattoos. I belong to a local FB group, and just recently a young woman complained bitterly that despite her fabulous work ethic, she can't get hired for a serving job because of her "body art". I checked out her personal page, and she was literally covered in tattoos. She had "sleeves" on both arms, both hands, her neck, and a couple of them on her face around her eyes. She also had a nose ring. (I really hate those. To me they look like snot. Sorry for the graphic.)

I checked out her posting history in the group, and she's also been asking for help with utility bills and infant formula. Tattoos are not cheap - how much infant formula could she have purchased for the price of that body art?

Old 05-11-2019, 05:07 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I am 49 and would like to get a tattoo. Age does not always define tastes and "grow out of it" is a bit condescending IMHO. I understand the infection thing though as I am diabetic. That is so far the #1 reason I have not got one yet and may not ever. I've been septic a time or two and it ain't fun!

Old 05-11-2019, 05:16 PM

17,601 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I have a tattoo, so I'm definitely not in the hate camp. If the OP's wife wants to get one or fifty of them, that's her business. She's definitely old enough to know what she wants to do with her own body. My tattoo is very meaningful to me, and I can see where getting matching mother/daughter tats would have special meaning for the OP's wife.

My only objection to people getting tattoos, is when they get them in obvious places that can't be covered up, then complain that they don't get hired for jobs because of their tattoos. I belong to a local FB group, and just recently a young woman complained bitterly that despite her fabulous work ethic, she can't get hired for a serving job because of her "body art". I checked out her personal page, and she was literally covered in tattoos. She had "sleeves" on both arms, both hands, her neck, and a couple of them on her face around her eyes. She also had a nose ring. (I really hate those. To me they look like snot. Sorry for the graphic.)

I checked out her posting history in the group, and she's also been asking for help with utility bills and infant formula. Tattoos are not cheap - how much infant formula could she have purchased for the price of that body art?
I served 8 years in the Navy and didn’t get any piercings nor tattoos. Personal choice. I would add that one should not decide to get a tattoo nor pick out the tattoo while under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or a bitter break up. The decision and choice should be made while completely sober and not under emotional trauma. Sure getting lit helps with the pain but get the design and location picked out first before getting wasted. Don’t want to walk around with F___ Y__ <insert ex-wife or ex-girlfriend’s name here> across your arm.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:57 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I served 8 years in the Navy and didn’t get any piercings nor tattoos. Personal choice. I would add that one should not decide to get a tattoo nor pick out the tattoo while under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or a bitter break up. The decision and choice should be made while completely sober and not under emotional trauma. Sure getting lit helps with the pain but get the design and location picked out first before getting wasted. Don’t want to walk around with F___ Y__ <insert ex-wife or ex-girlfriend’s name here> across your arm.
I [briefly] thought about getting one when I was in the Army, but then I volunteered for an assignment where having any tattoos was forbidden. Getting a tat would have meant losing the assignment, so the urge was suppressed. Now, decades later, I occasionally think about getting one to commemorate that time...but then I think that the scars speak for themselves and are sufficient.

Some tattoos are quite interesting, and done very artistically...others are just plain ugly and cause me to question the mental status of the person wearing them. Beauty is in the eye of the bee holder.

It's a personal choice, and making that choice is not necessarily to be condemned. Some choices, however, may result in unfavorable judgements being rendered by observers and those who do not take that into consideration have no one but themselves to blame if their 'statement' is perceived in a negative way.

A person has the right to make any statement or expression of opinion that he/she wishes, but that does not include a corresponding right to expect that anyone/everyone else has to like it.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I am wondering though, those who do have issue with them, is it all of them? Or just those people that have them o the neck, face, hands, etc.

I can see a bit of negativity towards those with a face, neck, etc tattoos, or have their whole body. But some dude with a tattoo on the arm or something, I really cannot understand the negativity.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I have one, and I got it when I was 58. With my daughter. We have the same one.

Didn't do it for attention, either. As a matter of fact, no one I worked with ever saw it or knows I have it.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
I've got five, all drawn by me, done for free. I don't want some cookie cutter tat. What they are makes them unique, not simply having one. The guy who built the Frieghtliner for pikes peak isn't unique because it's a frieghtliner, it's unique because it has 2400 horsepower and it races. I'm at some point going to have full sleeves and both are for religious purposes to help focus energies. I want my kids names(commonplace, I know) and maybe some to signify a hobby or two. Four of my tats arw the begining of thos sleeves, the other is my birth sign and element over my heart. Which is Aries and fire.

A tribal band isn't unique
Hearts aren't unique
Hate on the fingures isn't unique
Now a unicorn with a minigun for a horn, breathing rainbow fire, being ridden by a six breasted catgirl wielding a scythe... now that's unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty