Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Looking to replace my aging dress shirts. I only wear them a few times a year, but all but a couple of the ones I currently have need to be thrown out. I prefer wrinkle free.

Also I am 62 so I need something that comes in "classic" fit.
Brooks Brothers have nice, long tails, and seem to be very "in between sizes" friendly. Doesn't wrinkle easily, but not officially "no iron".

On the cheaper end, Arrow makes some GREAT no-iron shirts. Spots for collar stays, if that's your thing.

Best value for the money was Macy's own brand of button-down shirts. Comparable to Ralph Lauren "Lauren" line of men's dress shirts (NOT the kind with the Polo horse and button down collar... the kind where you don't know it's RL unless you flip down the collar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 07:57 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
I really like Bonobos. They tend to fit me well and look a bit more stylish than others. They have a store near me, but I know they're not everywhere. You may want to check them out online.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:10 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Brooks Brothers have nice, long tails, and seem to be very "in between sizes" friendly. Doesn't wrinkle easily, but not officially "no iron".

On the cheaper end, Arrow makes some GREAT no-iron shirts. Spots for collar stays, if that's your thing.

Best value for the money was Macy's own brand of button-down shirts. Comparable to Ralph Lauren "Lauren" line of men's dress shirts (NOT the kind with the Polo horse and button down collar... the kind where you don't know it's RL unless you flip down the collar).
If you like Arrow you can also try Van Heusen as well, which is by the same company, so I think quality will be comparable. Van Heusen generally slots only slightly above Arrow in price.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
My preference in dress shirts is Geoffrey Beene. Fair cost and they wear well. I have a LOT of dress shirts from several makers, but I like the GB shirts the best.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I like Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts. They just had a promo of 4 dress shirts for $199. Basically $50 a shirt is not bad IMHO. They have many varieties of patterns and colors. If you only wear them a few times a year, these would last you for quite some time.
I bought two of these shirts last summer and love them. I'm 6'4" and used to get shirts custom made so they were long enough. These fit perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

I take my other dress shirt to the cleaners so I don't have to iron them. I take the Brooks Brothers shirts out of the dryer and finish drying them on a plastic hanger. I have never had to iron them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Charles Tyrwhitt (3/$99). Get one of their coupons buying typing something like "Brooks Brothers shirts" in Google and, wallah, 3/$99 advertisement coupon.
Brooks Brothers sales

Mostly it's fit though, those brands just happen to fit me pretty. A lot of people they fit like garbage bags with arm holes.
I had bought four of these shirts for my son as a present and he likes them. I recently bought him four Brooks Brothers shirts and he says these two brands are the most popular with the doctors he works with. I'm not sure which he prefers.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Mine are coming from Costco just like most of my other clothes. Under $20, good quality, changing variety.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:36 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mine are coming from Costco just like most of my other clothes. Under $20, good quality, changing variety.
Unless you are comparing it to a starched shirt from the dry cleaner. You are not comparing it to a quality shirt.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

I need a longer dress shirt since I'm 6'4". I also need a tapered shirt. Most department store dress shirts are not long enough and won't stay tucked into my pants. Most are also too boxy for my build. And forget any shirt that comes in S, M, L, XL. An XL will be too big in the body and too short in the length and sleeves.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I really like Bonobos. They tend to fit me well and look a bit more stylish than others. They have a store near me, but I know they're not everywhere. You may want to check them out online.
Same here. That's been my go to for chinos, dress pants, and dress shirts for probably the last 6 years. Haven't found another company that consistently has a fit and feel better for me for any cheaper anywhere else.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Lands end is a must buy,who knows how much longer they will be in business,but great quality,good price. The polo rl of sears!

I have been fanatic of guayabera shirts,aka Spanish wedding shirt. I always keep a short sleeve and long sleeve in the wardrobe. Light weight fabric,and a crisp look. Hate tucking on my shirt.

At an age approaching the good retirement years, Tommy bahama may also be a brand to look at. Get em on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty