Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:59 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Birks are ugly. But they are supportive and comfortable. And they last forever. Flip flops are not good for daily wear. As long as your feet are well groomed, wear what you want!
I have a pair of bright yellow "Birkies" (they call them "vegan" because they can charge more than if they describe them as plastic ) and I get a lot of compliments on them. I also have 2 pair of the leather ones. They're made in Germany where labor laws are pretty strict so they have to have been made under better working conditions than the sweatshops in Asia and I'm willing to pay for that. They also last me for years and the wood/leather ones are bio-degradable. There's so much more to me than what I wear on my feet. If people think they're ugly, too bad.

I'm female, BTW. No problem with men wearing them. Heck, men's feet aren't all that sexy, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:42 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Birkenstock's are the best birth-control ever.
male or female.
Hilarious comment and true. I can't stand the look of Birkenstock's. They totally give me the creeps!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
If you don't like them, don't get them. But I would suggest Keen sandals as a popular alternative - much better shoe than flip-flops.
I am a proud wearer of Keens. These are good, solid shoes with moderate support. DH likes the open sandals very well. The sandal covers the toes, but allows the foot to be cool.

The OP needs to try shoes on and see what works for him. And he should not be afraid to pay for comfort, IMO.

But apparently he is worries about what women will think of him in sandals.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,815,365 times
Fugly as hell, but wear what you want 'cause at least you're a guy.
When a female I know wears them, I actually cringe.
Ugh!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
A female friend suggested that I buy some. She said they look better than leather flip flops. I'm not so sure I'm sold on them though. They are pretty expensive.
And what type of socks does your "friend" (heh, heh) suggest you wear with them?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
There are lots of other shoe brands for outdoor activities that IMO aren’t quite as ugly as Birkenstocks - Keen, Teva, Nike, even L.L. Bean - also make all-weather, comfortable, supportive sandals...

Old 06-03-2019, 10:59 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
A female friend suggested that I buy some. She said they look better than leather flip flops. I'm not so sure I'm sold on them though. They are pretty expensive.
It depends on your style and what people you associate with value or appreciate. If you're a down-home kinda guy who likes to grill burgers with a friend while wearing your old jeans and t-shirt, and none of your friends or you ever looks at what brand of clothing to buy, and/or you buy "whatever" if it doesn't cost much...then Birkenstocks would be a waste of money for you.

Birkenstocks aren't regular sandals. The reason they're pricey is because they have a pricey special design (the heel inset dips in, so your heel sits lower than the ball of your foot,and has memory foam). They are for city slickers to wear with shorts, but not for the beach and such. I bought them because I had a foot problem for a while; Birkenstocks are supposedly good for feet and for the problem I had at the time. But they did not help the problem I had and were awkward to walk in, altho the foam is comfy. I wouldn't buy them again. If you like the way they look, you can buy other sandals that look like Birkenstocks but cost less. I don't like that the heel sits lower than the ball of the foot.

The most comfortable sandals I have are cheapos I bought at Walgreen's for $5. They have thick memory foam soles. But I wouldn't wear those around people I wanted to impress.

I think most people don't look good in sandals, anyway. Feet are not very attractive. They are strictly for the beach or around the house, IMO.

What I've seen men wear, when they are wearing shorts, is pair of plain tennis shoes (or something like that), w/o socks. Casual tennies, not ones with thick soles like running shoes. But brown or tan sandals would be fine, too.

Birkenstocks are overpriced, IMO.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:00 PM

480 posts, read 316,432 times
Open toed footware is just scary for me, as I have tender toes, and want them protected! I'd rather wear moccasins.
I like my Redwing shoes and a pair of Dickies. Both are leather and lace up, and protect my toes.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:52 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times
Just make sure to pair them with argyle socks. Red ones. And cargo shorts, preferably plaid.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:12 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Too Flippin' Funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty