Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:48 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I read that the most successful people exploit their greatest asset. As a woman in my late 20s who have been called pretty, beautiful, model-like and gorgeous by both men and women, I know that I am quite attractive physically.

Being beautiful has been my identity for most of my life. My mother used to tell me that when I was young, family friends and relatives would always comment about how pretty I was. I got lots of comments and positive reinforcement growing up because of my beauty. It gave self-confidence and made my sex life much better because I was confident about my sex appeal and body. My beauty opened up lots of doors socially and professionally.

Because I want to keep my beauty and self-confidence for as many years as possible, I spend a lot of money and time on my physical fitness, hair, makeup and skin treatments. I follow the lateness styles and how to use makeup to my advantage. It seems to work because people still keep talking about my beauty.

Now, if only people liked my personality! (See my other posts)
When I was growing up....I am lucky I also had parents that encouraged me to get an education, have a career & be independent. They also were good role models in their marriage showing how 2 people should respect one another & work out their differences in a constructive way. They were always a "team".

There is nothing wrong with using assets or trying to enhance what you have with makeup & fashion. It's when you rely on *just* that ....then life could unravel because we all know beauty fades. More of my self confidence comes from what I have accomplished or the kind of person I am than it does about what I look like...because my parents gave me my looks, I had nothing to do with it. You can't have a good professional life or relationship without education & relationship skills...or without knowing the beauty inside of you, too. Fashion & beauty are fun....but it shouldn't be your identity.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Take a look at AOC (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ). She is not the most beautiful woman in the world but many people find her quite attractive. Her picture is on the Internet on news and entertainment sites every day. Why? She is no genius and she says lots of silly things, but her beauty and youth give her a pass. People like to look at her!
She's also a Congressional representative.

What have you been elected to lately?
Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-07-2019 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Orphaned; off-topic; personal attack.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"How much of your self confidence is based on your beauty?"

pretty much most of it.
please understand, this leaves out Competence.
but...beauty AND truth go a long way.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Oh gosh. I miss it; the power that it had. When you're young and pretty, you have this special "power". This "gift", that you got, genetically, that not everybody gets to have. You come to realize that you can convince, persuade, get things, open doors, and bring excitement into your life. Just because you're pretty. It's like a lotto that you won.

I truly think that's what is causing women like Heather Locklear and Brittany Spears to have problems. The inevitable loss of that power and the self-identity tied to it. It's difficult to find other things about yourself to replace that. You had your "time", now it's someone else's time. Especially, I think, it's maybe hard for my generation, the "youths" of the 1970's and 1980's. I truly think we thought we would hold that prize forever somehow. But time moves on.

You have it. And then it's gone. And that's the natural course of life I know. But it can be hard to take when so much of your self confidence, you're identity, and your "value" for so much of your life, was tied to how you looked.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:41 PM

999 posts, read 553,675 times
Physically speaking, I'm cute enough. I have a nice face and a really good body after working out for years, but I don't think about my looks all that much. I'm kind of a hippy and rarely wear makeup. Our physical forms seem so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

When it comes to confidence in myself, my passion, kindness, and intelligence are the things that make me feel good. I work hard on my intelligence. I make little challenges for myself, like memorizing the location of every country on Earth, learning about different religious views and philosophies, etc. I sometimes buy myself little study courses just to keep my mind fresh with things. We learn in school, but as the decades go by, a lot of it fades unless we keep studying. Educating myself helps me feel confident when I have conversations with people.

It has taken more than 30 years, but I love who I am now. And it's interesting how when you love who you are, your physical looks seem pretty okay. I used to fret over my looks like most women do. Now, I just see a kind, driven, intelligent woman looking back at me in the mirror, and I'm proud of her.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:42 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

I truly think that's what is causing women like Heather Locklear and Brittany Spears to have problems. The inevitable loss of that power and the self-identity tied to it.
Brittany Spears is bipolar, so her problems relate to her diagnosis...& she was a child celebrity which can't help. Who is Heather Locklear?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

Who is Heather Locklear?
https://www.women.com/kelleyobrien/l...and-now-062918

Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 PM

14 posts, read 14,282 times
In another way, I truly honestly think that the confidence always makes the beauty.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
I read that the most successful people exploit their greatest asset. As a woman in my late 20s who have been called pretty, beautiful, model-like and gorgeous by both men and women, I know that I am quite attractive physically.

Being beautiful has been my identity for most of my life. My mother used to tell me that when I was young, family friends and relatives would always comment about how pretty I was. I got lots of comments and positive reinforcement growing up because of my beauty. It gave self-confidence and made my sex life much better because I was confident about my sex appeal and body. My beauty opened up lots of doors socially and professionally.

Because I want to keep my beauty and self-confidence for as many years as possible, I spend a lot of money and time on my physical fitness, hair, makeup and skin treatments. I follow the lateness styles and how to use makeup to my advantage. It seems to work because people still keep talking about my beauty.

Now, if only people liked my personality! (See my other posts)
Pretty only gets you so far down the road. After that there better be other things in the gas tank

Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Beauty fades and then what are you left with? Beautiful people seem to have a harder time aging also; I've seen it in a few family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty