Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

This thread was prompted by a thread now on Current Events in which a middle-aged and overweight woman was kicked out of a Golden Corral due to wearing a skimpy outfit that many people would consider to be unattractive on her.

Leaving the right or wrong of a restaurant acting as some sort of fashion police out of it, how many of you try to dress in public according to what you think most people would find attractive or unattractive?

(And please also leave out opinions as to what is okay and not okay based on body type, as I do not want this to turn into any kind of body shaming thread!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I care to the extent that I want people to think that I am well groomed and dressed appropriately for my body/the season/location/event/circumstances, etc.

But I don't care if someone likes the floral top I'm wearing or the style of the shoes I've chosen. As long as they're appropriate, that's all that matters.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This thread was prompted by a thread now on Current Events in which a middle-aged and overweight woman was kicked out of a Golden Corral due to wearing a skimpy outfit that many people would consider to be unattractive on her.

Leaving the right or wrong of a restaurant acting as some sort of fashion police out of it, how many of you try to dress in public according to what you think most people would find attractive or unattractive?

(And please also leave out opinions as to what is okay and not okay based on body type, as I do not want this to turn into any kind of body shaming thread!)

I do. I try to dress appropriately for the situation/location/occupation, etc.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I don't care in terms of being fashionable. I like the clothes I think are cool, and I own a lot of stuff that most people don't have. I don't really strive to fit in, and in particular any expectation that I "dress my age" can get stuffed. I still like my old Tripp clothes from when I was a spooky young person and I'll wear them until they fall apart or I die, so there.

But I don't like, for instance, too-tight pants without a long top, as I don't feel like the whole world wants to inspect the probable contours of my lady business, and I don't like for things to hang out that I feel should not.

I recently went out in a favorite pair of pants and discovered, after noticing a breeze, that I had a hole in the backside. They are pretty baggy, so the way the fabric drapes and falls it wasn't super obvious, but was I incredibly self-conscious about it? Uh, yes. Did I rush to the nearest bathroom to see how badly my bottom might be hanging out (at the grocery store!)...YES. Will I wear them again until I sew up the hole somehow? No.

So even weirdos can have some standards about how we dress.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:48 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
I don't give a flying fig. Dress how ever you feel comfortable

Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I don't. Wife does.
(sometimes)

Old 06-05-2019, 02:54 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I care to the extent that I want people to think that I am well groomed and dressed appropriately for my body/the season/location/event/circumstances, etc.

But I don't care if someone likes the floral top I'm wearing or the style of the shoes I've chosen. As long as they're appropriate, that's all that matters.
^^This, basically. I care more that people think that I'm dressed appropriately more than they are impressed by my fashion sense.

Sometimes I see people in public and think, "they looked in the mirror before they left and thought that outfit was good idea?" I'm not the fashion police, though I will silently judge.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
How you dress, that is up to every person. But they should be clean imho.
I always dress in jeans, but they have no holes and are washed constantly.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:37 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
I generally don't care what people think in terms of what is deemed appropriate for my age or what is currently in fashion, but I do care in that I don't want to draw attention to myself with extreme style choices that would garner negativity or leering (such as bosom bursting forth and nipples standing to attention like the queens guard).

I generally don't take too much notice of what others wear when I am in a restaurant or cafe, unless they are wearing something I like. I have never come across someone whose style is unpleasantly distracting, but if I did I would move to the other side of the table so as not to see it.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:43 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Comfort first but not at the expense of being neat and feeling good in what I am wearing. It's about how I feel, anything else is secondary.

I don't like sloppy or skimpy. Keep your business to yourself, most of us are not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty