Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
lol! Best reply in the thread!

OP, what part of the country are you in? If it's going to be coolish weather by the time of the September wedding, perhaps you could add a pashmina (solid blue or gray since it's a print dress) which would be functional as well as give things a bit of a different look. They make chiffon ones which wouldn't be too heavy to wear that time of year.
This is a good point.

Will it be Fall looking in September at the wedding site? If so, perhaps your flowery dress will seem like a summer dress and you actually need be wearing something more seasonal.

I wear a lot of different weights of cashmere from about October to April depending on the temps. A simple cashmere dress in a non spring/summer color, would be a solid wardrobe choice. If black doesn't suit you, go with navy. Or taupe/camel can look beautiful & I consider it a neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:47 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Sure, wear the same thing.

If you're really concerned about how it will look, use different accessories.
Newspaper Columnist "Miss Manners" was asked a version of this question 35 years ago, and essentially gave this same response.

The particulars involved a pregnant woman who had a black maternity party dress and didn't want to buy an additional "one use only" dress to attend a wedding. Miss Manners said to go ahead and wear the black party dress (black being a small no-no for wedding attire), but accent the black with brightly colored accessories. Same rule applies here.

But why on earth is this something that I ever remembered?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I once had a dress I really liked and remember telling someone that I wore it to 'every cat and dog show'
I liked it, it looked good and no way was it going to be confined to a hanger in the spare closet.
Another thought on 'occasion' dresses is thrift shops/ second hand stores if you really want a one-time only. if you don't need it 'tomorrow'.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Get a little black dress and accessorize it differently for each wedding. Different shawl, scarf, blazer, bold jewelry, etc. I doubt anyone will notice that you're in the same dress. And you'll look different in photos.

The bonus is that even if it just sits in your closet, it's always good to have an LBD. It's perfect for nearly any occasion that may pop up unexpectedly.

Good advice. Everybody needs one in their closet for those just in case occasions. Makes life a lot easier when you don't have to scramble at the last minute to find something to wear. Especially if you are one of those hard to fit types.

I would like to point out for the OP that your LBD doesn't have to be black. It just needs to be classic. Im a 5'10 red head so mine are forest green and chocolate brown. I can dress them up or down depending on the season or occasion by changing my accessories and shoes. A shawl or a jacket doesn't work for me since Im usually hot. I do have some vests though. And I have lots of pins belts and scarves.

I look like death warmed over in black.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:06 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
You guys are the greatest! So much good advice. I am going to see if Ican buy that LBD, on sale. Only if I really like it, otherwise, I am going to take the advice of many of you.....and wear what I already have.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Hey, the Royals wear the same clothes over and over.

Whole articles are written about Kate Middleton (they call her that still. ) wearing a dress to an event and they know who it’s designed by, or that she bought it at H&M, and list the events she wore it at and what jewels she wore with it and look, it’s her famous nude pumps she wore here and there and ...you get the picture.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:23 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
UPDATE OP.......At the last minute, I saw a dress on sale, and couldn`t pass it by. It was worth it, as I really needed something more fallish. The weather turned out to be on the cool side. It could of gone either way. Thought I would let all of you who posted, and gave advice, an update.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 AM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
People do judge in seeing someone wearing the same dress. But only if they remember. Most of the time they do not remember unless they are very close ones. and close one really do not care how many times you wear the same dress. Just enjoy the party and wear the same dress with pride. You had paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty