Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,397,344 times

Advertisements

I have several t-shirts that are of the moisture wicking / dri-fit variety. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that after you have them on for just a short amount of time, you start to smell of body odor? I put on a new one I purchased today and even brand new, the smell started to show itself within an hour or two.

Is this because they pull your sweat into the fabric, along with the accompanying bacteria?

I like the feel of these shirts (they're quite comfortable), but the resulting BO makes me not want to wear them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,541 times
Yes, and yes
Try a few different deodorants to see what works for you, and don't forget that deodorants have an expiration date, so some (me) have to buy them at nearly every trip to the store, and/or keep applying all day long.
Also, add a scoop of oxyclean to wash when you wash your workout clothes. It won't help the "sudden while worn" smell you are talking about, but at least will take that out at every wash so there is nothing lingering.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
The only way to prevent that from happening with Dri-fit type fabrics is to wash them almost immediately after wearing/sweating in them which is pretty much impossible. I have found that even sitting overnight "ruins" the shirt and it never stays clean smelling after that. I don't really mind it for my work out clothes, but it is a problem for a shirt that I'm wearing for "athleisure"

Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
I've found that any fabric made of polyester tends to absorb odors quickly, whether it's body odor or odors from outside. Sometimes I have to wash them more than once to get the odor out.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:28 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,397,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The only way to prevent that from happening with Dri-fit type fabrics is to wash them almost immediately after wearing/sweating in them which is pretty much impossible. I have found that even sitting overnight "ruins" the shirt and it never stays clean smelling after that. I don't really mind it for my work out clothes, but it is a problem for a shirt that I'm wearing for "athleisure"
I haven't found the problem to linger after washing the shirts. I've smelled the up close and a good laundering usually makes the smell go away. It just doesn't take long after starting to wear one that they star smelling again.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM

73 posts, read 37,767 times
My kids are in the puberty stage and developing BO and yes I've noticed that they smell when they wear dry fit shirts. My husband wears golf shirts all the time but doesn't smell maybe because he takes care of himself and wears deodorant diligently. I'm gonna stop buying dry fit shirts for the kids and just have them wear soft cotton shirts until they learn to be conscious and not forget the deo.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:10 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,819 times
use a better deodorant and apply in all the torso.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
You need to purchase detergent that is designed for Dri-Fit shirts. Regular detergent will not work as like you said a dri-fit/wicking shirt brings the sweat into the fabric.

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...rkout-clothes/

Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,819 times
^^ Also helps to hang the dry fit clothes at the sun for 1 hour after you arrive at home.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:03 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You need to purchase detergent that is designed for Dri-Fit shirts. Regular detergent will not work as like you said a dri-fit/wicking shirt brings the sweat into the fabric.

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...rkout-clothes/
Gym clothes, don't really care if they smell a bit. But then Esquire probably does because it's Esquire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty