Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 04:24 AM

410 posts, read 343,453 times

Advertisements

Tan skinned = damaged skin. Have you ever seen someone who has had skin cancer removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
I need a little color on my legs. Face, I have make-up. I know they sell the spray on.....always looks fake to me.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Its funny but 'pale' skinned people always want to be 'darker' skinned, yet 'dark' skinned people always seem to want to be more 'pale'! Brunettes are always dying their hair blond, blond's are always putting in dark highlights! Nobody seems happy with their 'colouring'. Personally I always find the most attractive people seem to 'embrace' what god has given them (Im trying to embrace my balding head! lol). Red heads look nicer with porcelain skin tones to match, dark skinned people look better with dark hair etc. Personally I have found women from every race and colour attractive particularly when they are au natrale.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:19 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I used to spend winters down south (see user name) and there was a contingent of folks who tanned by the pool every sunny day. Their skin looked like old baseball gloves. A tan is DAMAGE. I am happy to say I do not have a tan line on my body. Pale, pasty -- people will just have to deal with looking at my chicken legs when I go out in public. Skin cancer runs in the Irish half of my family.

I also met a woman in her 30's who had had a skin cancer removed from her upper arm - I can still see the scar - the size and shape of a heel of a man's shoe, and that deep.

Now if you want to go with a self-tanner, more power to you.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its funny but 'pale' skinned people always want to be 'darker' skinned, yet 'dark' skinned people always seem to want to be more 'pale'!
Not always! I love my pale skin.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Is it even possible for a redhead to tan? I've never seen one.
I’m a blue-eyed redhead (red-red) with fair skin but my skin has more golden undertones rather than pink. I do tan but not darkly, and I burn but not as rapidly as my redheaded sisters and brothers with pink undertoned skin.
I had freckles as a kid but they disappeared as I became an adult. My oldest daughter has my coloring (more strawberry though), my youngest is a brunette with lovely porcelain skin with Rose undertones and she never tans. And looks gorgeous and never sickly.
I think it depends on the person and their coloring.

Although I can tan, I never do naturally. I use a good self tanner to get some natural looking color.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I need a little color on my legs. Face, I have make-up. I know they sell the spray on.....always looks fake to me.
Try St. Tropez from Sephora. Pricier but doesn’t streak and doesn’t look fake. At least on my skin.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:21 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
It's funny how perceptions change. Once upon a time, tanned skin meant that you were a poor, outdoor laborer without choices. No one voluntarily did all that damage to their skin.

All fake tans look fake and orangey to me. Not healthy looking at all. It might be a sign that they are uncomfortable in their own skin and/or trying to portray a false image of themselves which is very unattractive.

Good health is what makes a person look healthy and attractive regardless of the shade of the skin, not fake tans. Healthy porcelain skin on a healthy woman is very attractive. Stunning, in fact.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It's funny how perceptions change. Once upon a time, tanned skin meant that you were a poor, outdoor laborer without choices. No one voluntarily did all that damage to their skin.

All fake tans look fake and orangey to me. Not healthy looking at all. It might be a sign that they are uncomfortable in their own skin and/or trying to portray a false image of themselves which is very unattractive.

Good health is what makes a person look healthy and attractive regardless of the shade of the skin, not fake tans. Healthy porcelain skin on a healthy woman is very attractive. Stunning, in fact.
They actually did plenty of voluntary damage to their skin and body via lead based cosmetics, etc to create or enhance their paleness. Fashion in the past does not usually indicate any preference for health...merely fashion dictates.

I suppose then if you find any fake tans to signify someone as not feeling comfortable in their own skin, you must also view fashionable clothing, makeup, hair styles, hair color, etc as the same and also trying to portray a false image of themselves.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Off-topic comment.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
I think "natural" looks best in all skin types. Fake tans and whiteners don't fool anyone except the user IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty