Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think "natural" looks best in all skin types. Fake tans and whiteners don't fool anyone except the user IMO.
Perhaps you’re thinking the good fake tans are natural. How would you really know?
Most movie stars, etc use spray or self tanner now and they look completely natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 AM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Hm. As a.) someone who has extremely varied tastes in what I find attractive, and b.) an artist...

I like contrast. For one thing. Pale skinned people who dye their hair bright colors and have gorgeous tattoos. If you have tattoos, you are really way, way better off keeping the sun off your skin. Not only will your ink look so much better contrasted against pale skin, but it will not fade or blur out over time as much. Sun is very bad for tattooed skin. (Please no commentary on whether you do or don't like tattoos, I'm NOT trying to do a hijack, and I don't care if you like them or not...some do, some don't, it doesn't matter. Only want to point to one classification of people where pale skin really WORKS visually for me.) I also love the contrast with pale skin and red hair, especially hair like a dear friend of mine has, it's naturally white but she has used henna on it for years and it's a deep, vibrant red. She is gorgeous. And even if she could tan, which I don't think she can (naturally a redhead before her hair went prematurely white) she would look ridiculous with tan skin.

Some dark haired people look great pale, and some of us look good with a tan. I tan easily, I've got a sort of "olive" skin tone, and I have dark hair and eyes. A bit of sun is a good look for me, but I can rock pale too.

I also know an old lady who lives in New Mexico who looks absolutely glorious with long white hair and a deep tan. Most people who have tanned their whole lives, don't necessarily look great as they age, but I do like the contrast of darker skin tone and white or silver hair.

About the one thing I really do NOT like, and this is a personal thing, not an objective judgment, is the blonde hair, tan skin, blue eyes thing. This is because growing up, my Mom believed that's what "beautiful" looked like...Barbie doll look...and she not only told me that good men wouldn't want me with my "sh* brown" hair and eyes, but she tried desperately to make herself a blonde her whole life, and her hair has been gross for my whole memory...fried, dry, like a grey/fakey blonde haystack. The blonde/blue eyed/tan look just seems super fake to me. In fact it is rare for me to find blonde people attractive at all, unless I get to know them and they are awesome individuals.

Really though, all of this is simply a matter of subjective taste.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 AM

587 posts, read 423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

All fake tans look fake and orangey to me. Not healthy looking at all. It might be a sign that they are uncomfortable in their own skin and/or trying to portray a false image of themselves which is very unattractive.
Good fake tans actually elicit a bronzed glow, not all all orange.
And that's news to me that using fake tan means being uncomfortable in one's skin.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 AM

587 posts, read 423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
Tan skinned = damaged skin. Have you ever seen someone who has had skin cancer removed?
That is why many use good fake tanning products so they don't risk the sun damage while still adding a tan to the skin

Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I worked with Filipino's for 17 years in the health care field and they were some of the whiter workers I worked with, some almost looked sickly white. A little color would have made them very attractive, but you'll never catch this crowd lying in the sun around a pool.

And I agree that tanned skin looks more attractive.

In India, they associate the color white with death. Ever been to a wedding in India. I witnessed one, one time, all decked out in red, the color of joy.

In the 20 years I've had a Mexican renting a room from me, no matter hot it is outside, and given he works outside a lot, I've never yet seen him in a T-shirt or shorts. If you know something about Mexico, you'll understand why!

Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
Many fair skinned people can’t really achieve that sun kissed glow. I have a tan right now and I just look like a different shade of fair skinned. Anything more would be an ugly red burn. Sunscreen is my friend. At least I have better younger looking skin than my sun loving counterparts.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Perhaps you’re thinking the good fake tans are natural. How would you really know?
Most movie stars, etc use spray or self tanner now and they look completely natural.
Movie stars have professional help with makeup etc. and I agree, they mostly look great even in person. I worked at a hospital in Santa Barbara and cared for many of them. But I've seen lots of regular people on the beach with their fake tans that look fake.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-13-2019 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Fixed glitch in quote.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
[quote=Harpaint;55874814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Most movie stars, etc use spray or self tanner now and they look completely natural.[/QUO

Movie stars have professional help with makeup etc. and I agree, they mostly look great even in person. I worked at a hospital in Santa Barbara and cared for many of them. But I've seen lots of regular people on the beach with their fake tans that look fake.
Right...me too.
But the good fake tans you can’t even tell apart from real. Which is my point.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 PM

1,153 posts, read 566,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nope.

We fair haired and redheaded Irish embrace the porcelain.

This is identical to my little daughter's coloring... tan that? no way. She'd just burn, anyway, same as me.
I have this skin colour, too and OK with it. I don't seek to get tanned.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
George Hamilton looks "well done"......not a good look.

Worst part about tanning is having a white a$$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty