Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:29 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times

Advertisements

Commercial solariums have been banned in almost all of Australia for about five years. That indicates the hazards of trying too hard to tan. Actually the pendulum is swinging the other way and apparently many of us, myself included, have a deficiency of vitamin D. However it is much easier to take a vitamin tablet than have skin damage treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 04:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Is it even possible for a redhead to tan? I've never seen one.
I have grey eyes and red hair and a red beard now, and I can tan. Don't get me wrong, I can burn like most people as well, but unlike many redheads, I have the ability to tan. I have some Irish/Scottish ancestors on my Mom's side, but my Dad's side is all Eastern European. So once I get a good "base coat", I will continue to just get darker and darker tan-wise. Having said all that, I do try and limit my sun exposure or wear a broad spectrum high SPF sunscreen when I can.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:26 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
I see fair skinned people and I always think they would look better with more "color" to them- sun-kissed or tanned.

As a fair skinned Asian (gay male), I can't believe that many Asians want to look as white as possible with the skin whitening things they use. Or shielding themselves from the sun with an umbrella.
I don't particularly like spending time outside (even though I live in a sunny climate) and have naturally fair skin, so I spray tan and put fake tanning mousse on constantly. Plus tan skin makes the teeth look even whiter. I use teeth whitening strips too.

When I see pale skinned white people, esp when I travel to colder or more Northerly places, I always think there is no doubt those same people would look even better with a tan..even just a sun-kiss glow. Especially in the summer, if you are all pale and showing your body parts. All pasty and pale looks quite unattractive.

[Snip.]
I don't agree.

There's nothing lovelier than a clear ivory complexion, with a little blush on the cheek. It's a soft, clean look.

People who are naturally darker also look lovely, but the tanned face, not so much. The skin on a tanned face looks thicker and older, to me. Compare people who live in Phoenix, AZ with people who live in, say, Great Britain. What a difference. The AZ people will likely look years older, and like John McCain, the fairer ones are prone to skin cancer.

Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Meryl Streep, Barbra Streisand...all beautiful ivory skin.

I'm medium or medium/light. I tan easily, but don't burn easily. I would love to have pale ivory skin.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-13-2019 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
I see fair skinned people and I always think they would look better with more "color" to them- sun-kissed or tanned.

As a fair skinned Asian (gay male), I can't believe that many Asians want to look as white as possible with the skin whitening things they use. Or shielding themselves from the sun with an umbrella.
I don't particularly like spending time outside (even though I live in a sunny climate) and have naturally fair skin, so I spray tan and put fake tanning mousse on constantly. Plus tan skin makes the teeth look even whiter. I use teeth whitening strips too.

When I see pale skinned white people, esp when I travel to colder or more Northerly places, I always think there is no doubt those same people would look even better with a tan..even just a sun-kiss glow. Especially in the summer, if you are all pale and showing your body parts. All pasty and pale looks quite unattractive.

[Snip.]
I agree that we THINK people look better tanned - but keep in mind that it's purely a cultural thing. Prior to the 20th century, people wanted to be pale. It was a sign of wealth. Only peasants, laboring outside, were tan.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-13-2019 at 11:27 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 05:50 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
A peaches and cream complexion is lovely.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:28 PM

497 posts, read 484,602 times
I prefer pale skin, at least when it comes to women. Though I don't mind a tan if it's natural. When people use spray tans or tanning beds I think it looks awful. My three female cousins were obsessed with being tan when we were teenagers (Illinois girls). We moved to California and when they came to visit they looked like Cheetos. They wanted to fit in, lol.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,871,726 times
I don't agree at all.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What about Mexico? Lots of skin cancer, or what?
Ever visited any of the 22 Latin American countries? Go peek into a bank sometime! Or watch Spanish television! The lighter your skin, the further you go upwards!

Old 08-09-2019, 05:35 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:

[Snip.]
That's your preference, and not shared by everyone, certainly not a lot of Asians who value porcelain skin.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-13-2019 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
The colour of somebodies skin is most certainly NOT a factor in their beauty. I have seen incredibly beautiful women with the most beautiful ivory skin and I have seen incredibly beautiful women with beautiful ebony skin too - skin condition is MUCH more important than skin colour, but even then 'skin' is not a big player when it comes to peoples 'looks'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty