Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,129,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I was recently watching a video of a very high scale mall and holy crap, it's insane how much things can be. For example, there was a watch that was $40,000! Obviously it's mainly just for wealthy people, but, wealthy or not, do you think people that will spend 40 grand on a watch or thousands of dollars on a dress/skirt/purse makes them narcissistic? If you were wealthy, would you spend anywhere close to that on fashion?
It would totally depend on the crowd of people I was running with, I’m sure. People tend to dress similar to the people that they are hanging out with.

If my friends were running around in cheap clothes and they were worth millions upon millions of dollars I would probably be running around in cheap clothes, too. But if my friends who are worth tons are running around in upscale clothing, I’d be doing that, too. We tend to mirror what we see. So no, not narcissistic.

You also have to think about the costs and value of things. If I have a net worth of $20 million, a $40,000 watch isn’t all that expensive. If I have a net worth of $10,000, a $40,000 watch is probably not a good idea.

Probably due to the way I was raised, I try to dress well, well within my budget. I don’t leave the house looking like a slob. And one of the ways I keep my clothes looking decent is when I get home I change into house clothes. Which are sloppy.

It takes me a minute to change into going out clothes, which is usually a nice T-shirt and jeans. And earrings.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:11 PM

19,504 posts, read 9,037,682 times
Either that or they are so insecure that they tie their sense of self-worth to how much they spend on clothing and their personal appearance.

However, I do agree that as long as people can afford it, they certainly do have the right to spend their money however they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 01:54 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,426,796 times
No, I don't think these people are narcissistic. They have the money, they have the taste, they have a desire for luxury, glad they can afford it. From my past experience I'd say it is mostly ego. I admit, that's what it was with me in my younger years.

The most expensive store I shop in is Dillards, and then only occasionally. I shop for name brand groceries at Walmart, but would never buy the clothes they sell. I have once intentionally walked through Saks and Neiman Marcus, and couldn't wait to get out. I have been on Rodeo Drive once, bought a tee shirt for $10.00 that I wore out, and a bottle of perfume that I justified since it came from the creator's store. I have saved the shopping bags for decor in my walk-in closet, and I have fond memories of my trip to LA when I see them. My go to stores for clothes that fit are Penney's and Kohls. I do not need the top of the line, and I will not buy the bottom of the barrel.

To each his own, that is why we all have choices.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
There is no way to know if fabulously wealthy people are narcissistic. Surely in the rest of the population, there are poor or middle class narcissists. I imagine some wealthy people are, and some are not.

If I were one of the fabulous wealthy few, I don’t know how I’d spend my money. It would be easy to gratify all my desires, and hard, I think, to spend on worthy causes. I do like good jewelry. I wish I owned more of it, frankly. But ownership of valuable things includes the worries about loss and theft. So, I don’t know.

Maybe I’d make wise choices, maybe not. And who is to day what is wise, for that matter.

But extremely wealthy people are as varied in their personalities and values as are everyone else.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,853,761 times
For some people buying a 40k watch is no more of a or burden than you buying your 10.00 Timex.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM

21,693 posts, read 9,260,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Obviously, 99.9% of people here will say they wouldn't and brag about how "thrifty" they are, which is fine, but given how obviously there are PLENTY of people that do shop at these stores, enough to keep them going just fine, other than obviously money, what separates them to most here?

Like do you think anyone here would shop at this mall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4a3krGq00
I have been to that mall.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:21 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Either that or they are so insecure that they tie their sense of self-worth to how much they spend on clothing and their personal appearance.

However, I do agree that as long as people can afford it, they certainly do have the right to spend their money however they wish.
I guess I'd just have to be insecure.
I kind of think everyone has "their thing". Someone who thinks my diamond rings are foolish, would have no problem putting that money down for a new boat or some such, which to me, would probably be a waste. Probably.

I don't really care about purses or shoes. I don't think I've ever paid over $40 for a purse, and I've never paid over $70 for shoes. But I'd sure like a bright, big and shiny diamond ring. That's my 'thing'. I do like pretty clothes though...and jewelry in general. So...yeah, I'd spend some of my money on those things. If it means I'm insecure, so be it. I have to get crazy rich first though.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:18 PM

19,504 posts, read 9,037,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I guess I'd just have to be insecure.
I kind of think everyone has "their thing". Someone who thinks my diamond rings are foolish, would have no problem putting that money down for a new boat or some such, which to me, would probably be a waste. Probably.

I don't really care about purses or shoes. I don't think I've ever paid over $40 for a purse, and I've never paid over $70 for shoes. But I'd sure like a bright, big and shiny diamond ring. That's my 'thing'. I do like pretty clothes though...and jewelry in general. So...yeah, I'd spend some of my money on those things. If it means I'm insecure, so be it. I have to get crazy rich first though.
Definitely a good point! Different people have different splurges that others might consider to be a waste of money. For us, these splurges are nice vacations, good bottles of wine, and buying DVDs and books.

However, as I honestly cannot tell the difference between a $90 polo shirt and one that costs $35, I can't help but think that people who spend more than twice as much for a logo feel the need to advertise that they can afford to pay that much -- whereas when we spend more for a nice vacation or a good bottle of wine, the only ones who know how much we paid are us.

However, I think the point you and I are both making is that as long as it makes us happy and we can afford it, who cares what others think!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:28 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,853,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Lol... but they have some kind of issue. Hilarious!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,212,902 times
Even the most frugal people splurge on SOMETHING - and of course they believe splurging on any other stuff is wasteful and stupid but THEIR thing makes sense. I'm just saying that people spend on what they want to and the value is in the eye of the beholder. As long as you don't go into debt and are planning for the future, who cares? If you aren't, then you're asking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty