Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times

Advertisements

I would spend money expensive designer clothes. But not because I am narcissistic. I am far from it. I rarely ever even take selfies.

I simply love fashion and I love quality. I would be more than willing to spend a lots of money very well-made, nice looking clothes. I also love certain shoe and clothing designers. I just don't like cheaply made things and a lot of clothing now is what is called "fast fashion." They are cheaply made clothes meant to be thrown out. Construction is horrible, the fabrics are cheap and a lot of the prints and designs are tacky.

I love Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld and Balmain because their designs suit my taste and personal style. I would gladly drop thousands of dollars on those labels if I had it. I also only like genuine leather handbags, jackets and shoes and would also gladly spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on those items. I especially love Italian and Spanish leather shoes. I want quality pieces that last long and would be willing to spend the money. I don't like cheap clothes that need to be thrown away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
when it's never enough or she has to have a bigger ring than any of her friends/family... or if its always about image over substance (what others think)

women are walking conundrums ...will spend hours researching to save 4 dollars on a cable or phone plan....yet have 34 pairs of shoes and 12 different hair conditioners...… (and not from a dollar store)

I guess I could pay for a 10k watch or 20k gold necklace......if it meant that much to me...but I don't even like paying 10k for cars....

I know many wealthy business owners and ..my brother is a prime example...he owns/rents over 25 houses has 3 businesses and does very well,,,,but you'd never know it......arrogance...and showboating wealth is looked down upon up here in maine…..

I guess its all in perspective...if I've dreamed of having a brand new Harley Davidson since a kid...then yes i'd go buy one.....if because I was living out of my car at one point and wanted to buy some very nice things....then that's ok too...

but I have met many people who seem to be more concerned "what others think" than themselves... and/or its image over substance.....or image over practicality..... I had a friend buy a brand new beautiful boat and couldn't wait to show us....but then couldn't afford the gas to put into it.... strapped his whole budget for that one WANT item

Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
The narcissists I've known didn't go out of their way to buy expensive clothes. They acted like their sense of style and personality was so great that they didn't need to keep up with trends or dress in anything that anyone would envy.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The narcissists I've known didn't go out of their way to buy expensive clothes. They acted like their sense of style and personality was so great that they didn't need to keep up with trends or dress in anything that anyone would envy.

Okay, but not all narcissists are rich enough to buy the $20,000+ watches, etc.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I was recently watching a video of a very high scale mall and holy crap, it's insane how much things can be. For example, there was a watch that was $40,000! Obviously it's mainly just for wealthy people, but, wealthy or not, do you think people that will spend 40 grand on a watch or thousands of dollars on a dress/skirt/purse makes them narcissistic? If you were wealthy, would you spend anywhere close to that on fashion?
It's not the amount so much, as the percentage of one's income that is important. $40k isn't much to Paris Hilton or Jennifer Lopez or Catherine Zeta-Jones, probably.

However, there is a point where the amount becomes ridiculous, with no reason for it, and it's just a waste of money. If I were a mega-millionaire, I would probably still watch the cost. Some wealthy people do (like Warren Buffett).

Is it narcissism? It's more ostentatious, I think. Showing off. Wanting others to know that you have so much expendable income that you can waste money like that, and they can't. Even if others don't see it, you can make sure people know it, or other people who have seen it can tell others about it. So that everyone knows how rich they are (i.e., "better" and "more" than other people are).

It's also superficial. It's very shallow "proof" that you are trying to impress others with your overpriced gadget or house or car.

BUT, if it's new money, it could simply be a spending spree by someone not used to having money and just dropping money around in a delirium because they have the bucks, now. Lottery winners do this sometimes.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
when it's never enough or she has to have a bigger ring than any of her friends/family... or if its always about image over substance (what others think)
Image or what other people think doesn't mean anything IMO......... BUT what would mean so much is a big diamond ring or a car or any *gift* that a man bought for me because he could afford it & he wanted to make me smile........it's the thought behind it.........& that's not narcisstic........

Old 08-21-2019, 10:48 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's not the amount so much, as the percentage of one's income that is important. $40k isn't much to Paris Hilton or Jennifer Lopez or Catherine Zeta-Jones, probably.
Ita....40k would be nothing to her....even 200k. Jlo's ring is almost 2 million.......??

Old 08-21-2019, 10:51 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Everybody has their thing. DH has a friend who collects watches, really nice, very expensive watches...he’s comfortable but not wealthy, that’s just his thing. He loves them. We have another friend who loves cars. Modest-ish house, but loves his Ferrari. I love bags and shoes, and will spend a lot on them, but I’d never spend 2K on a skirt...my clothes are lovely, but that wouldn’t be my thing. I don’t think any of this would meet any definition of narcissism. Judging how other people spend their money is a bigger personality flaw than spending it on luxury items anyway.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
It's all about percentage, right? $40,000 is like 1% if you have millions in the bank. Same as why rich people buy multiple cars and homes. Because they CAN and they want to.

If I had that much money, I would buy more than 1 house too!! And I would buy more expensive clothes.

Even if they are narcissistic, so what? If fashion boosts your self esteem, then go ahead. Be my guest. We should all do things to raise our self esteem.

Quite frankly, people who wear expensive clothes look better anyway. My MIL is not a millionaire at all, but she's a spender and buys all her clothes at Macy's and she looks fantastic, even at 70 years old.

Last edited by sas318; 08-21-2019 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I was recently watching a video of a very high scale mall and holy crap, it's insane how much things can be. For example, there was a watch that was $40,000! Obviously it's mainly just for wealthy people, but, wealthy or not, do you think people that will spend 40 grand on a watch or thousands of dollars on a dress/skirt/purse makes them narcissistic? If you were wealthy, would you spend anywhere close to that on fashion?
You may want to read up on the term "narcissistic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty