U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 11:07 AM

24,820 posts, read 15,999,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I was in Sephora and it’s overwhelming how many different skin care creams there are out there. Serums that are supposed to get rid of wrinkles, etc.

How many of these lotions actually work and make people look younger and better? Are they really worth it? Is a $150 serum any better than a $20 serum?
At my recent visit to a dermatologist for a mole check, she mentioned CeraVe or Cetaphil products to use on my skin. If you have not had a mole check in several years, your insurance might cover one. At that visit, you could ask him or her for recs.

I don’t think you can look so much younger, as you can look better. The way to get a younger face is to have procedures done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 11:19 AM

1,326 posts, read 856,657 times
Honestly, it's about finding what works for YOUR skin.

A good cleanser (double cleanse at night if you wear a lot of makeup), vitamin C, retinol, hyaluronic, moisturizer and SPF are the basics. I personally have a morning and night routine:

Morning
-Caudalie Milk Cleanser
-P50 1970
-Obagi Vit C (or Skinceuticals)
-Caudalie Vinosource (I've tried many other serums--Sunday Riley, other Caudalie, Tatcha...keep coming back to this one. It's a great price point, too)
-Hado Labo Gokujyun Premium Hyaluronic Acid Lotion (Japanese skincare, AMAZING)
-Caudalie Vinoperfect SOS Moisturizer (I tend towards dry and this is very heavy, so may not be right for some)
-Biore UV Aqua Rich SPF (Japanese, again.)

Night:
-IF I wear makeup (which is VERY rare anymore) I cleanse first with a balm. Usually Clinique Take Off The Day
-Caudalie Milk Cleanser
-P50 1970
-Tretinon .025 from my derm (it's Retin A)
-Caudalie Vinosource (I've tried many other serums--Sunday Riley, other Caudalie, Tatcha...keep coming back to this one. It's a great price point, too)
-Hado Labo Gokujyun Premium Hyaluronic Acid Lotion (Japanese skincare, AMAZING)
-Caudalie Vinoperfect SOS Moisturizer (I tend towards dry and this is very heavy, so may not be right for some)
-Kiehl's Nighttime oil

NEVER use Vitamin C without using Sunscreen--but it's a great thing to use, as it helps to fade sunspots. ALWAYS use a separate sunscreen, the ones in products are not strong enough. Also for Vitamin C--the Amazon ones and most of the ones at Sephora are not going to cut it, most of them are diluted junk. You need a GOOD one like Obagi or Skinceuticals. If you must go with Sephora Vitamin C, either Drunk Elephant, Summer Friday's, or Ole Henrikson Truth Serum.

Retinol at night--it can be drying and harsh on your skin. Vit C in the morning. Never use the two together.

You can get the Caudalie, Kiels, and Clinique at Sephora. The others I get from small local spots or have to order. I rarely, rarely wear makeup, my dermatologist now uses my routine, and I constantly get compliments on my skin. Trial and error brands and see what works for you.

Oh, I also have battled skin cancer--I'm now 37, but most people I encounter think I'm in my late 20s.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:53 AM

1,018 posts, read 268,693 times
I had my first skin cancer at 39. I’m hoping I don’t get any others but the odds are I will. I wasn’t even someone who ever went in the sun much.

Anyhoo. I think that scare prompted me into the exploration of the skincare world. I had acne in my teens and then again in my early 30s so I’ve always had skincare on my radar but i tried to avoid getting too into because there’s so much. You just posted your routine above and i already want to try some of the products you mentioned. That’s how easy I am. There’s just something about skin care products that is alluring. At least I think so. I also have tretinoin and it’s been proven to work but I have to admit it’s such a boring product lol. So medicinal, nothing attractive about it in comparison to what you find in Nordstrom or Sephora. But apparently it’s the only thing proven to reverse aging other than cosmetic surgery

Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 AM

Also my derm recently told me that makeup is the best protection from the sun. Maybe I misunderstood but I can’t imagine foundation with spf is better than spf?

Old 01-23-2020, 06:37 PM

1,326 posts, read 856,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Also my derm recently told me that makeup is the best protection from the sun. Maybe I misunderstood but I can’t imagine foundation with spf is better than spf?
This is SO SO incorrect. You need an actual SPF. I would advise finding a new derm if they seriously gave you that information.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 PM

I am going to ask again because maybe I misheard her. I know she absolutely said that wearing makeup gives more protection but she may have meant over a sunscreen.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM

492 posts, read 160,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
At my recent visit to a dermatologist for a mole check, she mentioned CeraVe or Cetaphil products to use on my skin. If you have not had a mole check in several years, your insurance might cover one. At that visit, you could ask him or her for recs.

I don’t think you can look so much younger, as you can look better. The way to get a younger face is to have procedures done.
I am using CeraVe (moisturizer) and Cetaphi (clenaser) now.
But then I have good complexion all along.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM

I think I mentioned on here somewhere that it seems like olay products have become pretty expensive. I recall this being an inexpensive brand in the 90s and 2000s. It’s suprising to me to see them charging $20 to $30 for moisturizer. Dr dray recently did a video where she was like I don’t know what’s going on with Olay but they have become really expensive.

What are the cheaper options these days?

Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 AM

511 posts, read 518,615 times
I really like CeraVe products. I tend to break out from many products, and these tend to work for my aging skin.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:32 PM

60 posts, read 8,044 times
I use only rosehip oil on my face and neck at this point in my life. (I'm in my fifties.) Cosmetics of all types and price points irritate my skin and, especially, my eyes. I've tried them all. Rosehip oil is the only thing that does not leave my skin and eyes burning. A small bottle of organic rosehip oil, which lasts for several months, runs about $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty