U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:47 PM

80,980 posts, read 74,080,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Silly Q but I'll play along.....

Her curve and taper
Makes the clothes that drape her
Always look so fine

Her walk and carriage
None will dare disparage
A timepiece sublime!

I find the hands, neck, and face to be most telling of a woman's age.

There is an attractive brunette I see occasionally while walking downtown at lunch in nice business dress most often walking toward me. Probably 5'7 / 120 and small on top. She looks like a cross between Sigourney Weaver and Lena Olin and I guess her to be in her 40s. I have always seen her walking toward me and in nice longer skirts.

I'm in the grocery store this past weekend and I notice this woman in yoga leggings and Football jersey top. Its her. So this time I got a chance to introduce myself. Her walk, posture, slender shapely legs and hips make her look younger. She has a youthful stance and saunter that beckons.
Yes, and??? You introduced yourself, and then what? Inquiring minds want to know. Details, details!

40 is an age at which the neck and hands will tell you nothing. 40 is still young. Even the face of some women can look much younger than their age, at 40. Just saying, that as a general rule of thumb, your metrics won't provide accurate results, though they may have in this case, though you haven't shared that with us. Yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 02:43 PM

13,980 posts, read 35,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I generally can but there have been a few cases that I was surprised. They looked considerably older than they appeared from behind. What is it that makes women look young with their backs to you? I have my own theories.
How do you look from behind compared from the other direction?

Old 08-31-2019, 10:34 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,497,081 times
To an extent, yes. Her hair and her hairstyle will be indicators. You might be able to determine hip-waist ratio, an indicator of youth and fertility.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
To an extent, yes. Her hair and her hairstyle will be indicators. You might be able to determine hip-waist ratio, an indicator of youth and fertility.
None of the indicators mentioned in this thread accurately convey any info about age. Plenty of women in their 50's have long hair down to their waist or thereabouts, and some still have young faces, too. Plenty have the same hip/waist ratio they did in their 20's. You guys are thinking in cliches, not reality-based observations. I think it's sad how poorly men seem to know women. Heck, even some grannies in their 60's and 70's have a "youthful" waist/hip ratio naturally, while others take hormones to stay looking great.

I get the strong impression from threads like this, that many men's ideas of women are formed by media portrayals, not by their encounters with, and observations of, the women around them every day. Why are men so out of touch with real, live women? It's like they're estranged from half the population, and depend on rumors and reflections in the media for their information, instead of real-life experiences.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
None of the indicators mentioned in this thread accurately convey any info about age. Plenty of women in their 50's have long hair down to their waist or thereabouts, and some still have young faces, too. Plenty have the same hip/waist ratio they did in their 20's. You guys are thinking in cliches, not reality-based observations. I think it's sad how poorly men seem to know women. Heck, even some grannies in their 60's and 70's have a "youthful" waist/hip ratio naturally, while others take hormones to stay looking great.

I get the strong impression from threads like this, that many men's ideas of women are formed by media portrayals, not by their encounters with, and observations of, the women around them every day. Why are men so out of touch with real, live women? It's like they're estranged from half the population, and depend on rumors and reflections in the media for their information, instead of real-life experiences.
I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't try to guess an age based on a behind view. If I do see a woman with fully gray hair from behind, she's probably not 25.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't try to guess an age based on a behind view. If I do see a woman with fully gray hair from behind, she's probably not 25.
Of course. Which is why more women are coloring their hair. . But I've seen women greying at 30, and I don't mean just a few stray hairs. I've known men and women who started greying at 12.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Of course. Which is why more women are coloring their hair. . But I've seen women greying at 30, and I don't mean just a few stray hairs. I've known men and women who started greying at 12.
I have 2 male friends, ages 30 and 31, who have a significant amount of gray hair. I have no gray hair in my mid-30s, which I appreciate.

There are individuals within both sexes who color their hair to project a more youthful appearance.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have 2 male friends, ages 30 and 31, who have a significant amount of gray hair. I have no gray hair in my mid-30s, which I appreciate.

There are individuals within both sexes who color their hair to project a more youthful appearance.
I don't think grey is an issue for men, so much. You should thank the Lord that you still have your hair, and that it's not thinning, or not much. But yeah, that interesting, that probably more men color their hair than women realize. I imagine it can be important in a professional context, not just a social one, in these times of people being laid off at 50, and finding it difficult to get hired at a comparable level elsewhere. The way you phrased it, I can see how it would help a guy maintain his edge in the workplace.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:55 AM

3,861 posts, read 2,062,899 times
In the words of Lyle Lovett, she's ugly from the front.....

Old 08-31-2019, 12:35 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,486,204 times
Quote:

Very few women over 50 have the objectively "youthful" waist/hip ratio, which is .7. There are studies about WHR by age group. Some of those who look like their waists are still relatively narrow might be using shapewear. For example, Nigella Lawson probably wears it.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-31-2019 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or