Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

A female HS principal once mistook me for a student from behind. Male though, about 50 yo at the time. I liked that.

No, I'm not a good judge of a woman's age from behind unless they're quite elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times
I liked the OP's question, and I have wondered the same thing. I am a 65 year old female, not a mugger or a stalker, but certainly a people watcher, and I often wonder how my assumptions of age from behind are ussually so acurate.

Where we live, the young[er] people do not dress much differently than the older folks. Especially in winter, coats are bulky and heads are covered on top, but it is still fairly easy to get a general idea, but I can't figure out how I can tell.

I also wonder why I an tell a womans general age when I see her sitting on the side of a swimming pool in a bathing suit, whether they are in great physical condition or not.

I know shoulders tend to slope, but I really can not figure out why it is generally so simple to tell someones age from behind.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I generally can but there have been a few cases that I was surprised. They looked considerably older than they appeared from behind. What is it that makes women look young with their backs to you? I have my own theories.
OP a lot of people can't guess a woman's age when looking her straight in the eye. You have a bizarre "hobby".

Old 08-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You can tell by the way she carriers herself. Is her posture good? How is she walking? What is she wearing on her feet? (You can tell from behind).
What does this even mean? Teens and many young 20-somethings are notorious slouchers. Does slouching mean you're young, while standing up straight means you're middle-aged? People's walking style tends not to change through life, until maybe they get into their 70's or so, if they begin to have mobility issues. A woman's walking style tends to be her "signature" for decades.

Gawd, this is a weird topic!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-27-2019 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Waist-hip ratio, how much the butt sticks out, and how much leg is exposed. It will be right more often than not, but its accuracy still isn't good enough.
Butt shape is hereditary. Some women have flat butts, and that doesn't change with age. I can't imagine why anyone would think it would. If you're' talking about how posture affects the extent to which the butt sticks out (this used to be called "swayback"), some women are trained early to have good posture, to minimize the lower curve of the spine that causes the butt to stick out. This doesn't change with age, either.

This topic is attracting misconceptions like moths to a flame.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I liked the OP's question, and I have wondered the same thing. I am a 65 year old female, not a mugger or a stalker, but certainly a people watcher, and I often wonder how my assumptions of age from behind are ussually so acurate.

Where we live, the young[er] people do not dress much differently than the older folks. Especially in winter, coats are bulky and heads are covered on top, but it is still fairly easy to get a general idea, but I can't figure out how I can tell.

I also wonder why I an tell a womans general age when I see her sitting on the side of a swimming pool in a bathing suit, whether they are in great physical condition or not.

I know shoulders tend to slope, but I really can not figure out why it is generally so simple to tell someones age from behind.

I think there are a few tale tale signs. For one, most mature and healthy women have fat deposits SOMEWHERE. Be it in the boobs, the butt or the thighs, etc. It's nature.

Second, older women, our hair is different. It's not as lustrous, and often, not as thick as it used to be. Even if we color our hair, it's not the same as a premenopausal woman's. And most of us aren't wearing junior size in anything. I say most of us...I know there are plenty of women who can and do shop in the junior section. (And yes, I'm a little jealous of that. LOL )

Old 08-27-2019, 11:57 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
The butt is mostly muscle. People lose muscle as they age. If a woman is older and slim, she probably doesn't have much of a behind unless she does athletic activity that builds muscle there.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The butt is mostly muscle. People lose muscle as they age. If a woman is older and slim, she probably doesn't have much of a behind unless she does athletic activity that builds muscle there.
But that wouldn't indicate her age from behind. You wouldn't be able to tell if she was a young woman who happened to have a flat butt via genetics, or if she were older, and had lost muscle mass.

This is all so bizarrely silly.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM

19,384 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But that wouldn't indicate her age from behind. You wouldn't be able to tell if she was a young woman who happened to have a flat butt via genetics, or if she were older, and had lost muscle mass.

This is all so bizarrely silly.
Please, Ruth, it's very important that we get to the bottom of this (no pun intended).

Old 08-27-2019, 12:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
If she's slim and has a butt, she's probably young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty