Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 AM

427 posts, read 245,913 times

Advertisements

This is definitely a stupid question but...I'm a 22 year old guy, not super fat, but not thin either. I could stand to lose some weight. I'm going to Russia in a month and I'm trying to figure out a decent style to wear. I have a $220 dollar budget for clothing before I leave.

I was going to go for the nice dress shirts and dress pants style but the shirts in my price range just do not fit well and if I'm going to dress nice, I'm gonna look nice. In the next few months, once I hopefully lose a bit of weight, I'll get nicer quality shirts ($30-$40 a piece?) and pants. In the mean time, I need some advice on this.

My plan starts with jeans...a good basis for any style. I'm either going to buy a few pairs of these Rustlers regular fit straight leg jeans in 32x28 (I can certainly fit in a 30W size jeans but they're a bit tight and I'd probably do better in a 32. The other choice is these Wrangler regular fit jeans. I was going to get 3 colors...dark blue, blue, light blue...maybe 4 pairs or 5 pairs. So we have the jeans.

This is the tough part...I could either go ultra casual or way less casual. I was considering a few flannel shirts, unbuttoned over an undershirt like this picture. I was thinking something like this in black, navy blue, and gray for underneath the flannel, or just to wear plain.

I have plenty of socks so that's not an issue, but what is an issue is shoes...I can't really think of what kind of shoes would go with this. I'd say boots would be the best choice...any recommendations of what style would go best would be appreciated.

In terms of outerwear, I already have a Levi Strauss sherpa lined denim jacket which is pretty damn warm, though considering I'll be heading to Siberia, I'll probably have to pick up a parka while I'm there. Since denim is very popular there, this jacket should be decently stylish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Black jeans are better for travel than blue jeans.

You can dress them up.

All black always looks better.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:10 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
This is the tough part...I could either go ultra casual or way less casual. I was considering a few flannel shirts, unbuttoned over an undershirt like this picture. I was thinking something like this in black, navy blue, and gray for underneath the flannel, or just to wear plain.

I have plenty of socks so that's not an issue, but what is an issue is shoes...I can't really think of what kind of shoes would go with this. I'd say boots would be the best choice...any recommendations of what style would go best would be appreciated.
My son wears something similar when he's going for a casual outdoorsy type of look. These aren't exact, but he wears a shoe similar to this when he dresses down in his flannels. https://www.pfiwestern.com/media/cat...d-chukka-1.jpg

Old 09-17-2019, 12:18 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
H&M has cheap men's clothes that are Euro inspired style.

https://www2.hm.com/en_us/men.html

Nordstrom's brands BP and Topman offer good style, good quality, and their clothing often goes on sale (cheap!). They are good for layering, too.

ex: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/topman-...=black%20multi

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/topman-...s_seed=5447021

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/topman-...s_seed=5289802

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bp-crew...s_seed=5289789

Last edited by AnnaGWS; 09-17-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 12:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I suggest staying with a style you are comfortable with, but upgrading it a bit. I question whether you need dress shirts for a trip to Russia, but obviously, you don’t want to wear old, tired tee shirts.

I suggest investing in good, solid walking shoes first. Buy good fitting jeans. And take it from there. I suspect you will need a versatile jacket or coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty