Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times

Advertisements

For whatever reason, people don't seem to wear bathrobes that much anymore over their pajamas, especially among men. It almost seems like some men think bathrobes are girly.

I see nothing girly about it, as a straight guy. I wear my bathrobe all the time in the winter, and even to the pool. When you just come out of the shower, it's much warmer and more convenient not to have to dry off and dress up immediately, but just to go commando under a bathrobe and let the bathrobe dry you off. Also great when worn over pajamas to keep you warm, especially since I wear gym clothes as pj's.

In the summer, I wear my bathrobe over my speedo to and from the lap pool. It serves as a great bathing suit cover-up, much more secure than wrapping a towel around your waist. You don't even need a towel, you can just get out of the pool, put on your bathrobe, and let the bathrobe dry you as you go back home. Keeps you plenty warm, too, and you can put your goggles, bathing cap, bathing suit, comb, or small towel in your bathrobe pocket. I see fellow lap swimmers wear parkas over their swimsuits. With a bathrobe, why would you even need a swim parka?

In the end, I find bathrobes very versatile--as a towel, as pajamas, as a swimsuit cover-up. They can be worn with slippers at home or with flip flops or crocs to the pool. They're not girly--they're robes, and kings wear robes. But I feel plush, comfy, and luxurious when I wear my solid blue, calf-length bathrobe--it feels like I'm at an expensive resort, lounging by the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:28 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For whatever reason, people don't seem to wear bathrobes that much anymore over their pajamas, especially among men. It almost seems like some men think bathrobes are girly.

I see nothing girly about it, as a straight guy. I wear my bathrobe all the time in the winter, and even to the pool. When you just come out of the shower, it's much warmer and more convenient not to have to dry off and dress up immediately, but just to go commando under a bathrobe and let the bathrobe dry you off. Also great when worn over pajamas to keep you warm, especially since I wear gym clothes as pj's.

In the summer, I wear my bathrobe over my speedo to and from the lap pool. It serves as a great bathing suit cover-up, much more secure than wrapping a towel around your waist. You don't even need a towel, you can just get out of the pool, put on your bathrobe, and let the bathrobe dry you as you go back home. Keeps you plenty warm, too, and you can put your goggles, bathing cap, bathing suit, comb, or small towel in your bathrobe pocket. I see fellow lap swimmers wear parkas over their swimsuits. With a bathrobe, why would you even need a swim parka?

In the end, I find bathrobes very versatile--as a towel, as pajamas, as a swimsuit cover-up. They can be worn with slippers at home or with flip flops or crocs to the pool. They're not girly--they're robes, and kings wear robes. But I feel plush, comfy, and luxurious when I wear my solid blue, calf-length bathrobe--it feels like I'm at an expensive resort, lounging by the pool.
I never see robes on guys......but I don't go to public pools & defanitely not at beaches or resorts. My Bf doesn't even wear one at home....he'll wrap a towel around his waist after the shower sometimes or just wear pajama bottoms at night as his "robe".....but I still see him as a "king"...Lol...

The only time I'll maybe wear one is a light silk robe over a negligee....after showers I'll put on stretchie Bf or yoga shorts or something comfy to lounge around in..........

I work in a hospital & patients are not even in robes anymore........they usually have on shorts, sweats or a backwards hospital gown over the other gown. Older men & women wear robes tho........

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I have never owned one. I get up in the morning and hit the shower, then get dressed. Pajamas? I don't own any of those either. I sleep in just my briefs, very comfortable that way.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:52 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,292 times
I love my bathrobe. I wear it less in the summer months, but I live in it all winter. I take my nightly bath and then slip into my robe while I dry off and it keeps me warm and toasty. I frequently walk around my house with the blinds up at night and I don't want my neighbors to see me in my skivvies so on goes the robe. I'll also run outside in the morning in my robe to sit and drink my morning tea and watch the sun rise, or to let my cats in our out.

My husband has a nice thick robe also, but he only wears it in the coldest months of winter. He's always hot so I think it's too warm for him normally.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:12 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
This is the first time I've heard a man talk about a swimsuit cover up. And walking through the neighborhood to and from the pool in a bathrobe....

Old 08-28-2019, 05:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Robes have always been part of our family culture, and we each own more than one. There are different kinds of robes for different functions. Sometimes it's just to cover up to answer the door, so a lightweight silk or satin robe works. Other times, a big, fluffy robe after a shower or bath does the job. Most recently, we took a spa cruise so we used robes nearly all the time. It would be hard to imagine life without robes, but clearly plenty of people don't even use them so there's that. Just do you, like everyone else does, and you'll be fine.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
I have a robe, but I don't wear it. I have really comfy blue cotton shorts that I like to wear. They're knee length and very comfy,not thin at all, those and a tee shirt and I'm good to go. I've even worn them to the store, they have pockets.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:12 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
well, i have a camo microfiber bathrobe.
so, no one has seen me in it. lol.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Not since I started wearing a smoking jacket.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:38 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
At home, I don't wear pj's so if I'm not getting dressed to go out right away, I put on a robe .

I never and would never wear a robe at the pool. When taking swim lessons as a kid I was taught that you stay much warmer drying yourself off with your towel (to prevent cooling from evaporation) than huddling UNDER your towel dripping wet. Of course these swim lessons were at an outdoor pool in early swim season and early in the morning so it was always cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty