Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 PM

1,499 posts, read 885,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
At home, I don't wear pj's so if I'm not getting dressed to go out right away, I put on a robe .

I never and would never wear a robe at the pool. When taking swim lessons as a kid I was taught that you stay much warmer drying yourself off with your towel (to prevent cooling from evaporation) than huddling UNDER your towel dripping wet. Of course these swim lessons were at an outdoor pool in early swim season and early in the morning so it was always cool!
I love this topic! We are 75/79....we each own one very thin robes for hospital stays....not that anyone gets to stay in hospital these days! Am a nurse of 50 years

I absolutely love pajamas...esp Vera Wang...when they are on sale at Kohls! Live in So Calif....so get light weight for most of the year..and warm ones for the few months I need them...always get Capri length bottoms so I don’t trip on the legs...you can always answer the door in them....when it is chilly I may throw a fluffy long sweater over top....tho we each have throws on the couch for snuggling while tv or IPad time,,,

My hubby sleeps in his boxers...tho he likes covers yearround...

The few rimes we have to travel to NY for funerals or weddings I never seem to be warm enuf..

We never use A/C or heat at night here......

Robes at pools..yuck...towel off, use a sweatshirt if too cool

To each their own

Hubby still has the velour robe I bought him when we were single...hmmm..we have been married 42 years

Good hotels have big fluffy robes for each
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 PM

1,499 posts, read 885,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For whatever reason, people don't seem to wear bathrobes that much anymore over their pajamas, especially among men. It almost seems like some men think bathrobes are girly.

I see nothing girly about it, as a straight guy. I wear my bathrobe all the time in the winter, and even to the pool. When you just come out of the shower, it's much warmer and more convenient not to have to dry off and dress up immediately, but just to go commando under a bathrobe and let the bathrobe dry you off. Also great when worn over pajamas to keep you warm, especially since I wear gym clothes as pj's.

In the summer, I wear my bathrobe over my speedo to and from the lap pool. It serves as a great bathing suit cover-up, much more secure than wrapping a towel around your waist. You don't even need a towel, you can just get out of the pool, put on your bathrobe, and let the bathrobe dry you as you go back home. Keeps you plenty warm, too, and you can put your goggles, bathing cap, bathing suit, comb, or small towel in your bathrobe pocket. I see fellow lap swimmers wear parkas over their swimsuits. With a bathrobe, why would you even need a swim parka?

In the end, I find bathrobes very versatile--as a towel, as pajamas, as a swimsuit cover-up. They can be worn with slippers at home or with flip flops or crocs to the pool. They're not girly--they're robes, and kings wear robes. But I feel plush, comfy, and luxurious when I wear my solid blue, calf-length bathrobe--it feels like I'm at an expensive resort, lounging by the pool.
My hubby has a rule...dry off IN the shower stall first!

Old 08-28-2019, 08:46 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
For whatever reason, people don't seem to wear bathrobes that much anymore over their pajamas, especially among men. It almost seems like some men think bathrobes are girly.

I see nothing girly about it, as a straight guy. I wear my bathrobe all the time in the winter, and even to the pool. When you just come out of the shower, it's much warmer and more convenient not to have to dry off and dress up immediately, but just to go commando under a bathrobe and let the bathrobe dry you off. Also great when worn over pajamas to keep you warm, especially since I wear gym clothes as pj's.

In the summer, I wear my bathrobe over my speedo to and from the lap pool. It serves as a great bathing suit cover-up, much more secure than wrapping a towel around your waist. You don't even need a towel, you can just get out of the pool, put on your bathrobe, and let the bathrobe dry you as you go back home. Keeps you plenty warm, too, and you can put your goggles, bathing cap, bathing suit, comb, or small towel in your bathrobe pocket. I see fellow lap swimmers wear parkas over their swimsuits. With a bathrobe, why would you even need a swim parka?

In the end, I find bathrobes very versatile--as a towel, as pajamas, as a swimsuit cover-up. They can be worn with slippers at home or with flip flops or crocs to the pool. They're not girly--they're robes, and kings wear robes. But I feel plush, comfy, and luxurious when I wear my solid blue, calf-length bathrobe--it feels like I'm at an expensive resort, lounging by the pool.
Huh? I have one on right now. But I don't wear a robe OVER anything...I wear it when I am at home, and in between times when I am dressed.

I have no idea what a "swim parka" is...but I don't know anyone that wears a bathrobe at the pool. That's kinda weird.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:19 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Rarely. I haven't had one as an adult. At night, I'm normally in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:

Shudder.

Why does it seem you just wanted to tell us about your Speedo & your commando status?

No one wears a bathrobe to the pool. No one.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
I wear my in the winter getting into or out of our outdoor hottub. It's not a far distance but at minus 30C I feel warmer. Some real cold days I might put it on over whatever I am wearing just to warm up, especially if I am a little under the weather. When we had dogs I'd slip 8t on when letting them 9ut during the night in the winter.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

No one wears a bathrobe to the pool. No one.
Bathrobes are only for after a shower at home? But someone here just said they're normal to wear to the pool on a cruise. How's wearing a robe to the pool at the cruise different from wearing a robe to your local pool?

Old 08-28-2019, 10:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
I only wear a robe in the winter. First thing I do when I get up in the morning is put on my slippers and fluffy ankle length robe, turn up the thermostat and then go make the coffee. The robe doesn't come off until my place has warmed up, I've had my coffee, and I'm ready to start my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

.... < snip > .... No one wears a bathrobe to the pool. No one.

That depends where and who you are and what kind of culture you come from. So you can't generalize like that on behalf of all other people.

YOU don't wear a bathrobe to the pool. But many others do, either for modesty or practicality.

Go visit a mountain hot springs resort for vacation in the middle of a freezing, snowy winter. You'll see that every single one of the guests will wear the resort robes over their swimsuits to go to and from the pools. Warm terry booties and head wraps too. Otherwise they'd get icicles growing on them to and from the pools.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
Love my bathrobes. Yes, plural. Lightweight & short for summer travel, long velvet for winter canoodling, and a basic medium weight cotton knit for all the rest of the time. All kimono style.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Most of you must have central heating. We do not, just spot heat, so I have lovely long velvet bathrobes and knee rugs for winter nights. Then it is into my warm bed with the electric blanket. I love winter and unfortunately it is almost over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty