Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times

Advertisements

I used to like them in cold weather, but if you are doing anything, they tend to fall open or get the wide sleeves caught. Too much adjusting the opening, LOL.

Now, it's never cool enough to use one, so it's just shorts and a T, all year long. Nada to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:30 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For whatever reason, people don't seem to wear bathrobes that much anymore over their pajamas, especially among men. It almost seems like some men think bathrobes are girly.

I see nothing girly about it, as a straight guy. I wear my bathrobe all the time in the winter, and even to the pool. When you just come out of the shower, it's much warmer and more convenient not to have to dry off and dress up immediately, but just to go commando under a bathrobe and let the bathrobe dry you off. Also great when worn over pajamas to keep you warm, especially since I wear gym clothes as pj's.

In the summer, I wear my bathrobe over my speedo to and from the lap pool. It serves as a great bathing suit cover-up, much more secure than wrapping a towel around your waist. You don't even need a towel, you can just get out of the pool, put on your bathrobe, and let the bathrobe dry you as you go back home. Keeps you plenty warm, too, and you can put your goggles, bathing cap, bathing suit, comb, or small towel in your bathrobe pocket. I see fellow lap swimmers wear parkas over their swimsuits. With a bathrobe, why would you even need a swim parka?

In the end, I find bathrobes very versatile--as a towel, as pajamas, as a swimsuit cover-up. They can be worn with slippers at home or with flip flops or crocs to the pool. They're not girly--they're robes, and kings wear robes. But I feel plush, comfy, and luxurious when I wear my solid blue, calf-length bathrobe--it feels like I'm at an expensive resort, lounging by the pool.
They are in my house! I agree. Better than a towel. Lounging at home. A nice thirsty, plush, terry cloth bathrobe is so comforting after a shower.

I also like plaid ones for men and women. I have a zip front Lanz of Salzburg bathrobe that I've had for 25 years and a monogrammed bath robe from LLBean. Heads up - they last forever.

If you have the misfortune to be hospitalized, a nice, front wrap bath robe is indispensable.

Semi nudity is just not always appropriate. If a client of my husband's or a neighbor, drops by before 10 AM, they are likely to find us clad in nice bathrobes.

For my money, they beat sloppy sweats.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I gave my husband a bathrobe last Christmas and I think he has worn it once! Come to think of it, I don't wear mine anymore either. What's the point?
So you can wear a tiny swimsuit or go commando.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I have a white spa-type robe (the waffle fabric kind) and LOVE it.

I wear it every morning until I decide to put my clothes on. Retired, so that might be 10am or so.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
And that's mostly what the OP is talking about...

Because almost no one does it.

We are not talking about being on a mountain top.

This.

This thread is about whether or not people wear bathrobes. Period. It really does not matter where they are wearing the bathrobes or what they have under them.

I noticed in your response to my post that you quoted that you also edited my quoted post and included a statement that I never said and which was out of context to my own post. I don't know if you're in the habit of changing and including different statements in many other people's posts when you quote them, which is against forum rules btw, but I would appreciate it if you don't change any of my quoted posts again. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:47 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,231,969 times
naked is the trend this days...

Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This thread is about whether or not people wear bathrobes. Period. It really does not matter where they are wearing the bathrobes or what they have under them.

I noticed in your response to my post that you quoted that you also edited my quoted post and included a statement that I never said and which was out of context to my own post. I don't know if you're in the habit of changing and including different statements in many other people's posts when you quote them, which is against forum rules btw, but I would appreciate it if you don't change any of my quoted posts again. Thanks.

In fact, it's not. It's about whether men wear bathrobes.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
They are in my house! I agree. Better than a towel. Lounging at home. A nice thirsty, plush, terry cloth bathrobe is so comforting after a shower.

I also like plaid ones for men and women. I have a zip front Lanz of Salzburg bathrobe that I've had for 25 years and a monogrammed bath robe from LLBean. Heads up - they last forever.

If you have the misfortune to be hospitalized, a nice, front wrap bath robe is indispensable.

Semi nudity is just not always appropriate. If a client of my husband's or a neighbor, drops by before 10 AM, they are likely to find us clad in nice bathrobes.

For my money, they beat sloppy sweats.

I agree. I have a short 100% terry wrap-robe, which I love after a shower.

In college, long quilted robes were the stlye for girls. It seemed we all had one. They were great for lounging in the dorms. The material was horrible: lightweight, "catchy" nylon or polyester. They looked something like this (blech lol):

Are Bathrobes Still Worn?-vintage-1960s-sears-home-wear-blue

Old 08-30-2019, 08:14 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
I wore a robe in the hospital where it’s so cold you could hang meat. Believe me it came in very handy. Anyone who has been in through a big hurricane knows better. Hiring over there?

Old 08-30-2019, 10:16 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
I've only worn a robe once in 72 years, I was in the hospital. And the robe was borrowed from my father in law

That was the only time I wore PJs (since I was a kid) and they were new

Same goes for slippers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty