Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:32 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used one of those kits you can get on Ebay to pierce your ears? How did it work out?

First, a little about me. I'm 65, with multiple medical problems, including Diabetes. I've had pierced ears since I was 17. My mother insisted I have a doctor do it. I had it done at my pediatrician. I still have the original posts he used, which are a bit longer and thicker than regular posts to facilitate healing.

Well, fast forward to today. I stopped wearing earrings on a regular basis, and my right earlobe has closed up. I called my PCP office, but they said they don't do ear piercings. My daughter suggested a tattoo parlor. Well, she's had several tattoos done at a local tattoo place (much to my dismay). She said they do ear and body piercings there. She says they are very clean, state licensed, etc.

Ok, well....I do want to be able to wear earrings again, but I feel rather silly walking into a tattoo parlor at my age!I then discovered those self-pierce kits on Ebay. Since this is a re-do, I have the position "marked", and have the original posts, well....I'm thinking of doing that at home. I would have DH help, he's very meticulous. I personally trust him more than some guy at a tattoo joint!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:51 PM

16,342 posts, read 12,297,552 times
Please don’t try to DIY this. There’s nothing wrong with going to a well run tattoo parlor.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times
Every one of my friends who needed to re-pierce for one reason or another has gone the tattoo parlor route over the past few years and were very pleased with the results. I have metal sensitivities from working in the jewelry industry, and my holes closed up a long time ago, but I'm thinking of getting them redone. And I'll be going to a tattoo parlor.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times
I am 67 and had my ears re-pierced at a tattoo parlor on the suggestion of my doctor. I was very pleased with everything. They treated me with professional care and respect.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Please don’t try to DIY this. There’s nothing wrong with going to a well run tattoo parlor.
I am 67 and had my ears re-pierced at a tattoo parlor (that's where my doctor recommended I go). I was treated with respect and care, even though I was older than their usual clients. They were extremely safe and sanitary.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:34 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times
Ok, to the tattoo place I go!

Old 09-04-2019, 12:28 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,268,562 times
Tattoo parlors are the best places to get piercings done, rather than @ a place like Claire's or something. Tattoo parlors have to be clean and be to health code and all their people are licensed professionals with training in blood-borne pathogens. Good luck and enjoy your piercing!

Old 09-05-2019, 12:58 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,498,883 times
Ita about tattoo parlors....& stay away from piercing guns completely.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,664,636 times
I pierced mine by just pushing a pointed stud through the ear. Yeah, it hurt - but it was free.

A couple years later, in my early twenties, I decided to add a second hole. Same do-it-myself deal, but this time I inadvertently used a stud without a point. Obviously, not recommended, because instead of piercing the flesh it just sort of bluntly crushed it's way through - yeah, ouch - and once I hit the skin on the other side I had trouble popping it through. I ended up pulling it out and trying again. Same hole, but this time I somehow managed to drive an entirely different 'path' through the flesh. It worked, though I ended up with an infected ear. Clearly, self-piercing is not a particular talent of mine. Anyway, my immune system triumphed soon enough, and I had two holes! I eventually decided I liked the single earring look, and that other hole has long since grown shut.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:27 AM

19,212 posts, read 15,083,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I pierced mine by just pushing a pointed stud through the ear. Yeah, it hurt - but it was free.

A couple years later, in my early twenties, I decided to add a second hole. Same do-it-myself deal, but this time I inadvertently used a stud without a point. Obviously, not recommended, because instead of piercing the flesh it just sort of bluntly crushed it's way through - yeah, ouch - and once I hit the skin on the other side I had trouble popping it through. I ended up pulling it out and trying again. Same hole, but this time I somehow managed to drive an entirely different 'path' through the flesh. It worked, though I ended up with an infected ear. Clearly, self-piercing is not a particular talent of mine. Anyway, my immune system triumphed soon enough, and I had two holes! I eventually decided I liked the single earring look, and that other hole has long since grown shut.
Kind of the same story here. My mom's friend pierced mine when I was young. I pierced my brother's one spontaneous night.

Sterilize the needle/pin, "freeze" the ear, aim and stick. lol. Takes seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty