Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 03:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,064 times

Advertisements

What do you think about wearing spring colors - think light blues and greens, pinks, brighter orange tones - in September? I have several long-sleeve shirts that I clearly think of as my spring shirts, but they tend to be the right weight for September wear as well. I always feel funny wearing those colors in September even though summer still lasts until Sept. 21 or so, but maybe I'm overthinking?

BTW, I am a guy (if that matters) who puts effort into dressing well - but only in the sense of trying to look appropriately stylish rather than trying to make a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 04:39 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
For me, the textile and texture are more important to seasonal appropriateness than the color. I've worn pale pink sweaters in the middle of winter.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:15 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I am a guy and I wear spring colors in fall/winter all the time, not just products from spring/summer collections, but fall/winter collections as well. I have four light pink pullover fleeces and a pink hoodie, and I usually pair them with a light pink polo shirt underneath.

Still, I see what you mean, as fall/winter clothes in what most consider to be spring/summer colors tend to be more common in womenswear than menswear.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
I wear whatever colors I want no matter the time of day or night, the season, month, etc. I wouldn't wear wool in summer though.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:18 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Probably depends on your job and your location. I live in Southern California where few people bother in their normal daily lives to match clothing colors to the mild seasonal changes. It's probably different in places with extreme seasonal weather.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 AM

I agree that spring colors in winter tend to be more regional. In places such as Florida I wouldn't be surprised if many wear spring colors year-round. New York on the other hand people tend to dress in colors more typical for the season.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I agree that spring colors in winter tend to be more regional. In places such as Florida I wouldn't be surprised if many wear spring colors year-round. New York on the other hand people tend to dress in colors more typical for the season.
This is pretty much what I was going to post. In CA, "fall" doesn't begin until November sometime. I'm getting ready to go out there for October, and I'll still be wearing warm-weather clothes, including summer colors. My idea of summer colors, though, includes bottle greens and blues along with lighter green, blues and aqua.

It depends on what September is like in your area, OP. If it's an extension of summer, wear summer colors. If the leaves are beginning to turn already, your color choices can reflect that.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I've never cared about what colors are "in season". I wear clothing that has colors which are flattering on my skintone and flattering on my figure type. I also wear colors that I personally have a preference for and generally dislike the lighter summer/spring colors.

Medium purples, burgundy/wine, grey, and jewel tones are flattering for me. I know they are typically considered "fall" or "winter" colors but I wear them year round and get a lot of compliments on them

I say wear what you feel confident in and prefer.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is pretty much what I was going to post. In CA, "fall" doesn't begin until November sometime. I'm getting ready to go out there for October, and I'll still be wearing warm-weather clothes, including summer colors. My idea of summer colors, though, includes bottle greens and blues along with lighter green, blues and aqua.

It depends on what September is like in your area, OP. If it's an extension of summer, wear summer colors. If the leaves are beginning to turn already, your color choices can reflect that.
And as for what colors are considered what, womenswear tends to be more flexible than menswear. For example, pink is actually becoming common in women's fall/winter clothes, but in menswear is still mostly confined to spring/summer except for a few niche styles, since men generally tend to prefer more conservative colors for fall/winter. With the brand that I buy, I typically only see only one or two pink fleeces per year in fall/winter and nothing else. Compare that with spring/summer and I see a lot of pink on a lot of products (Spring/Summer 2018 was a the best of all with my favorite shade of pink dominating the collection).

Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
OP, I don't believe the majority of people pay a lot of attention to whatever seasonal colours other individuals are wearing as much as the fashion world would like us to believe. I believe most people choose colours to please their selves, not their audiences nor a fashion world that tries to dictate what people should be wearing at any given time of the year.

You said those spring shirts are the right weight for you for September, that means they are right for your physical comfort. My comfort levels are what I take into consideration first and foremost.

I choose my colours and fabrics based on the ambient temperatures of the environments I'm in. Dark colours and intensely vivid colours absorb heat, are insulating and retain body heat to keep the wearer warm, so those are the colours I wear during late autumn to early spring. Pastels and other light colours disperse and reflect heat away from the body and help keep it cool, so those are generally the colours I choose from mid spring until late fall. It all depends on the temperatures, not the seasons.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty