Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times

Advertisements

my wife buys from the men's department (section?) all the time.
she is sort of a stick and does not need extra room anywhere.
if i was only 5'10", she could wear most of my clothes,
and does sometimes when she wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 08:17 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Recently I had cataract surgery & the post op sheet said to wear only open in front clothes, At the time, I only had T shirts, so I trotted off to the local Walmarts,only to find that the Ladies department had no closing tops, only T shirt deals, so I got a mens shirt, (wrangler) & it was so comfortable, I have since went back & bought 5 more.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:08 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I read an article a while back about women buying men’s jeans because they fit better.

I buy a pack of men’s v neck undershirts and wear them under a sweater or jacket for work. Dress them up with a nice statement necklace and no one can tell it’s a men’s shirt.
I love wearing fitted teeshirts under my winter sweaters and occasionally dressing up a simple Hanes v-neck for under a flashy blazer. It saves on dry cleaning since you can just toss the tee into the wash. Boy department usually has the basic v-neck Hanes.

Jeans, I suspect the boyfriend jeans will make a comeback so you will see more of us in the boys department. I'm already seeing them in a more shredded distressed fashion similarly to the Kardashian trademark look of shredded skinny jeans. This time it will be shredded baggy jeans.

By the way, men's department has the best pajama bottoms, then head over to the little girl baby tees to get a top to go with them.

I think it's still allowed.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:02 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I think it's because our culture has gotten extremely masculine. Both men and women are more masculine than ever before.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:49 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
By the responses here Looks like the OP was right.
Not a surprise seeing the way culture is going, and the freedom women have in their selection of clothing.
But it seems that throughout the ages women have been able to get away with extremes of clothing simply for fun not just for fashion.
I learned to sew long ago both from my mom and personal experimentation, so making alterations is not a challenge . I am surprised that more people don't learn to sew.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Women's "tall" sizes rarely are available until you get to about size 10 or in medium sizes. Sometimes you can find a top in small with sleeves long enough, but, they are about 2" - 3" too short for your torso. Or, you can find women's long sleeve tops long enough in the torso, but, the sleeves are too short.

Because men's shirts are typically longer in the torso and sleeve length I can fit nicely into men's small/regular shirts. Not a lot of color choices, but, better than nothing. Men's pants don't work for me as I am too curvy - but, at least I can find turtlenecks for winter wear.
At least it's easier to find jeans these days. I remember when I was younger it was hard to find tall jeans now it's a lot easier.

As for tall tops, I find that some stores will have them online and not really in stores, like JCP, for example. NY&Co. also has tall sizes for tops and bottoms. Much easier for tall people to find things these days since you can shop online.

Guys clothes don't fit me well at all but the only thing I've bought for years in men's---sneakers. My feet are sort of an in between size (I would probably wear a 10.5 but that size almost never exists---10 is too small, 11 is too big) and I find most sneakers for women ugly.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 AM

374 posts, read 377,884 times
I'm very short, flat-chested, and waistless. Boys' clothes often fit me quite well. I shop women's section for dresses and skirts of course, but most of the time I am doing stable work (bucking hay, shoveling poop, building fences, grooming horses etc.), and clothes made for men and boys is almost always constructed better, made of stronger fabrics, is more comfortable to wear, and far better priced.

So that's my reason.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 AM

326 posts, read 200,804 times
Twenty years ago my daughter would want certain expensive designer jackets and discovered how much cheaper boys youth sizes are.
She still buys boys running shoes,often half the price of the same shoe in
Women’s.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:47 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
Twenty years ago my daughter would want certain expensive designer jackets and discovered how much cheaper boys youth sizes are.
She still buys boys running shoes,often half the price of the same shoe in
Women’s.
Yep, my daughter and I both wear childrens shoes for the same reason, much cheaper. My daughter wears men's casual t-shirts for the same reason, plus she just likes the designs better, not being much of a girly girl.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've noticed more and more ladies shopping at men's clothing section at dept stores. No, they are not buying them for a guy they are buying for themselves. I see ladies mostly buying guy jackets, sweat shirts, blazers, and dress shirts.

In fact, when I checkout clothes for my teenage boys I often find a lady trying on a boys 14-16 jacket or shirt.
This is not a new phenomenon. I buy from the men's (actually more often boy's because I'm short) department whenever I can because the clothes are better quality and cheaper. I don't need pink foo-foo frilly things; I need clothes that last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty