U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 AM

12,522 posts, read 11,097,422 times

Advertisements

You can be sexy and look good without being too revealing. Go for that look.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:52 AM

12,892 posts, read 5,174,012 times
I'm having a hard time picturing what the OP is talking about.

"Formal" means different things to different people. To some people, it means please don't show up in pajamas and flip flops and your hair in a messy bun.

Along with others, I'm curious to see what you're talking about. You mentioned a "senior partner" so it sounds like this will be an elegant event, not something that you'd wear clingy rayon to with your belly showing, basically lingerie.

I think rule of thumb, here, is if you're being invited to the boss's house for a party, dress to impress the boss's wife.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 AM

12,365 posts, read 5,110,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Don’t wear anything revealing to the boss’s house. You will make a bad impression. If you show a lot of skin, people will just think you’re trashy.

Better to be conservatively dressed when you meet your bf’s co-workers.

Or the boss will think she's hot and give her BF a promotion and raise so they can hang out more often.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:13 AM

5,160 posts, read 4,394,020 times
I'd go with, " you do not get a second chance to make a first impression".

Old 09-17-2019, 09:26 AM

8,291 posts, read 3,025,947 times
IMO, the only consideration is...wear what will make you feel comfortable and confident.

If you can wear 'revealing', and still throw your shoulders back, and your head held high, then you do you.

But it's no fun to be wearing something that you have to constantly tug at and rearrange, and pull up or pull down, etc.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM

11,420 posts, read 15,014,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It’s not coworkers....this is silly......& nothing is going to happen so the Vegas thing is just dumb.....
Um, I'm not the one who stated the party was with work friends and then back pedaled with a statement they weren't co workers. Just because you don't think it means what the rest of us think it means doesn't make us silly.
And the vegas comment pertains to making bad choices, such as wearing an outfit that is inappropriate for the event.

You do you and if you aren't worried about how it might affect your bf because of his boss, why did you even bring work up?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM

4,117 posts, read 1,870,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I knew a guy who did not mind his beautiful gf wearing sexy clothes at all to many events, and actually he encouraged her to do so plus flirting with guys. She was very useful for him to make lots of money.

I knew a tax senior manager who was brilliant but a complete social outcast. He was the wonk who would develop tax strategies and give them to the partners who would do the client face time. He stayed in the office. Talking with him was weird. He swore he dated all of these glamorous ladies, but it was widely suspected that he took call girls to parties.

I don't think he ever made partner. Stuck in Manager hell forever...and that was in the bad old days when most of the top was old men and heavy drinking was on the regular at parties.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM

23,087 posts, read 24,993,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I knew a guy who did not mind his beautiful gf wearing sexy clothes at all to many events, and actually he encouraged her to do so plus flirting with guys. She was very useful for him to make lots of money.
That's entirely depended on what field someone is in, though. An office with professional women in the hierarchy probably arent' going to be impressed if one guy's girlfriend is dressed like a bimbo at the party.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM

2,554 posts, read 593,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There would be something wrong with that only if your boyfriend wants you to wear revealing clothing, and if he does then you should be seriously questioning his real motives for advertising you that way. It would indicate a lack of respect for you and it would make you look like his bimbo arm candy du jour that he is showing off to his boss and his friends. Which will lower him in the estimation of his boss because his boss will think your boyfriend has no class. It won't win you any respect from the boss either.

If you only want to make an impression on behalf of your boyfriend instead of on behalf of yourself then wear whatever your boyfriend wants you to wear and you can deal with the consequences, whatever they may be, good or bad.

If you want to make a really GOOD impression on behalf of both your boyfriend and yourself then wear something classy and not revealing. That will make your boyfriend look like he has class for choosing a classy woman with high self esteem who is worthy of respect and is not a piece of arm candy with no self respect and no common sense who has to rely on her sexy appearance and revealing clothes to make an impression.

Do you really think that women that wear a backless formal or a dress that shows a little skin....are all uneducated bimbos? How chauvinistic of you. There is a thing as being attractive, stylish & sexy....while being smart & knowing how to socialize, on or off my Bf’s arm. Welcome to 2019.....when women don’t have to be pigeonholed into beauty OR brains. We can have both. So let me just step out of line from your tunnel vision.......

Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 AM

2,554 posts, read 593,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And she keeps saying the event is formal, but "formal" and "revealing" are not the same thing. Elegant and classic are what she should be going for, especially if this is at the boss's house.
Formal dresses can be backless or have splits....or low cut. Do you really not know or are you just being difficult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty