Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious about this and I know it depends on the woman, but...

I know women go to the salon, and the mani/pedi, and do shopping. Various women do these things to varying degrees (I know my sister does not do these things, though she used to shop).

My question is to what degree do women enjoy doing these things? Just for my perspective.

I'm a man for example and I like to shop. Granted, I'm not good at it, but it's pretty fun to go around and see certain things on hangers, and imagine that they will look good on me. That actually being the case, especially as I age, is a different story, but it's kind of fun, something I can do every month or two for a couple of hours.

So, for women, not necessarily you, but your friends, is that a passion for you? Is going through shopping catalogs online the same as guys going through guitar catalogs or catalogs of guns? Or talking about guitars or hunting. Can you spend hours talking about shopping?

Do you get excited going to the salon or to get a mani/pedi on a Saturday if you're just going alone? Is it the same excitement when guys are anticipating watching a big game on TV coming up a Saturday?

So, I'm aware that women are different and some women get excited about sports too.

But I'm just curious about how women view beauty maintenance in general. Is it something you have to do and is a pain the @ss, something that's so-so, or something you get really excited about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Overall, it's expensive and I avoid it. I'll have a girls' day and get a pedicure, and I like getting a fresh haircut before the holidays, but otherwise I don't much care for it. I know I'm weird, but it feels awkward and uncomfortable to have somebody I don't know pampering me. I hate massages, for example.

That said, I know others who enjoy it, not like the Superbowl but like a nice little treat. I know someone who gets a mani/pedi every 2 weeks as part of her self-care, so it's not so much exciting but rather "I deserve this."

Old 07-22-2019, 08:58 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
OP, a lot of the answers are going to be dependent on a woman's age. It's very different for a 20 something as opposed to a 60 year old woman.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Generally, I think it's a pain. I do like showing off a cute outfit, but shopping is more of a means to an end than a hobby or a passion, even. A lot of it is pressure from society, not myself. I don't shave my legs regularly in winter, but if I'm wearing a dress or shorts in the summer I know that I have to in order to be acceptable.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
I'm in my 50s and I view shopping for clothes or beauty products the same as grocery shopping. I do it when I have to, but it is not "fun". I felt this way even in my 20s, but felt compelled to do it more back then. Now thanks to my lifestyle I do it very very little.

And I spend my online time looking at drums, hockey gear, cycling gear, and cat and dog stuff. I never look online for every day clothing.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'm 66 and lazy. Major priorities: fitness, getting regular haircuts and occasional electrolysis to zap dark facial hairs. I've ALWAYS been self-conscious about dark facial hairs. (Most of them are grey now and blend in.)

I am not a shopper- used to be, but now it's just to replace things and that doesn't happen often. Never had a professional manicure or pedicure and I don't color my grey hair. More money for travel that way.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
OP, a lot of the answers are going to be dependent on a woman's age. It's very different for a 20 something as opposed to a 60 year old woman.
What exactly are you predicting is going to differ by age?

For me... I get occasional mani/pedi, I generally enjoy them. I would say in general I enjoy beauty treatments and the opportunity to be pampered and just relax. I prefer not having to make small talk, which sometimes takes away from the "relaxation" part.

I like clothes shopping in theory (so mostly online, lol) - in practice, it's not as fun to walk by racks and racks of unappealing clothing, and then not finding my size about half the time when I do see something I like. And then trying to find a fitting room that's not either (a) crowded/full, (b) strictly limits # items you can try on (e.g. 5), and/or (c) is restricted access so I have to find a salesperson to play gatekeeper.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:44 AM

249 posts, read 195,643 times
I do not like to shop, even for groceries. I never have enjoyed it. I'm lucky because I'm thin and all of my clothes still fit me from years ago, so no need.

No salons, ever. Just can't part with my money, and I don't like people touching me. My hair is longer and a mousy blonde, so I use henna at home to add a bit of honey color, and I trim it across the bottom myself.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I have been experiencing a renaissance. I'm mid-40's, and just in the last 3 years or so I've embraced the beauty world. I've been experimenting with skincare, makeup looks, and various brands, and I've been watching a ton of beauty vlogs on YouTube. I'm really enjoying it.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I have certain routines that I've done since my teens. Washing my face and doing the end-of-day routine is relaxing.

I also don't like manicures/pedicures because I don't like someone working on me that way. I love my salon visit, though, because my stylist is great. I don't do color yet, but I love the way she cuts my heavy hair.

Is it possible to be a low-maintenance girly girl? I don't spend a ton on makeup, and I use Suave shampoo. But I wear eye shadow, liner and mascara, and L'Oreal 840 lipstick every day and I do like picking up new nail colors every once in a while for fun.

Not a fan of vlogs because most of them take way to long to get to the point. Clothes shopping? It's not a hobby but I don't hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty