Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times

Advertisements

Remember several years ago (2004/5 I think)- when the jackets w/ fringe around the collar and sleeves were so popular? Well, I have two and they were expensive. One is an Anne Klein and the other is a Jones NY. The fabric is gorgeous but wow - do they look dated now.

So I was cleaning out the closet and pulled the jackets out - as this is the time of year to wear them. . . Didn't wear them last year b/c the look is so "out" and dated. I was wondering . . . if i cut off the fringe and adding a nice piping or trim . . . I think that would update the look. I thought - what the heck - I do sew and at least this may keep me from having to toss them.

So I wondered . . . what did the rest of you do w/ your expensive but now "out" dress jackets w/ the fringe? Toss 'em? Modify them? (Or are they still hanging in your closets - and you are wondering how to "fix" them, too???)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,359,288 times
I gave mine away but since you're a sewing person, sounds like you have a good idea.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,184,458 times
I still wear one of mine every now and then. Just because they're not the latest fashion craze doesn't mean they don't look cute with certain outfits.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I still wear one of mine every now and then. Just because they're not the latest fashion craze doesn't mean they don't look cute with certain outfits.
It is a very cute look. I liked mixing the jackets w/ jeans but I did that for several years . . . just need to freshen up the look.

I was sure hoping someone would have tried an idea - so I could find out how it worked and if they used braid or what kind of trim.

Surely there are some other seamstresses out there who have modified these jackets???? Ya'll share what you did . . .or if you just have a suggestion for a type of trim/braid to use, please post your suggestions! Notions can be quite expensive and I would like to hear suggestions b/f I go and sink some $$ into buying trim . . . Ideas would surely be appreciated!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,778,607 times
No ideas; just a suggestion. In the future, H & M is a great place to buy trendy items that look great for cheap!! I try not to spend a lot of money on trendy items for this very reason. It breaks my heart when I can't wear something like that again!!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,336,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Remember several years ago (2004/5 I think)- when the jackets w/ fringe around the collar and sleeves were so popular? Well, I have two and they were expensive. One is an Anne Klein and the other is a Jones NY. The fabric is gorgeous but wow - do they look dated now.

So I was cleaning out the closet and pulled the jackets out - as this is the time of year to wear them. . . Didn't wear them last year b/c the look is so "out" and dated. I was wondering . . . if i cut off the fringe and adding a nice piping or trim . . . I think that would update the look. I thought - what the heck - I do sew and at least this may keep me from having to toss them.

So I wondered . . . what did the rest of you do w/ your expensive but now "out" dress jackets w/ the fringe? Toss 'em? Modify them? (Or are they still hanging in your closets - and you are wondering how to "fix" them, too???)
Im used to reworking my own stuff cause of size and height problems. Mine. But I must warn you I tend to be outside the box. Is your fringe part of the jacket or is it sewn in the seam. If its in the seam just open it up and remove it. Is this like a silk Cowboy jacket? Sorry Im not very fashion forward.

Usually if I dont like a collar I just take it off. Then whatever you wear under it can become the collar. Or depending on you and the jacket you can go collarless.
If I really dont like the sleeves Ive been known to turn jackets into vests. My style is more sporty dramatic tho. Yours may be a little more sophisticated.

I have found that its really hard to put trim on stuff for a cover up. It tends to look a little crafty if youre not careful. Sometimes thats good . Sometimes not.
You have to match the quality of the trim to the fabric. Ive used vintage ties etc but you dont seen like the type to do kitsch.

Just a thought. If your jacket has a lining you could open it up and slide the fringe in while shortening the sleeve a tad. Then stitch it back up. Or if youre sure you never want it fringed again you could cut it off and shorten the sleeve. Shrunken stuff seems to be in. So maybe even do a 3.4 sleeve.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Im used to reworking my own stuff cause of size and height problems. Mine. But I must warn you I tend to be outside the box. Is your fringe part of the jacket or is it sewn in the seam. If its in the seam just open it up and remove it. Is this like a silk Cowboy jacket? Sorry Im not very fashion forward.

Usually if I dont like a collar I just take it off. Then whatever you wear under it can become the collar. Or depending on you and the jacket you can go collarless.
If I really dont like the sleeves Ive been known to turn jackets into vests. My style is more sporty dramatic tho. Yours may be a little more sophisticated.

I have found that its really hard to put trim on stuff for a cover up. It tends to look a little crafty if youre not careful. Sometimes thats good . Sometimes not.
You have to match the quality of the trim to the fabric. Ive used vintage ties etc but you dont seen like the type to do kitsch.

Just a thought. If your jacket has a lining you could open it up and slide the fringe in while shortening the sleeve a tad. Then stitch it back up. Or if youre sure you never want it fringed again you could cut it off and shorten the sleeve. Shrunken stuff seems to be in. So maybe even do a 3.4 sleeve.
Hi, CeciliaRose! Thank you so much for your encouragement and ideas! It appears the fringe is actually sewn into the seam. I will open it up and see! And the sleeves - I can definitely do what you said - if I need to go 3/4 length, that would be fine w/ me. It would still look very nice!

I would have to really be precise if I used some type of trim (a flat braid, for ex) on this . . . you are very right about that . . . as it would look amateur otherwise. The collar and lapel will be a challenge. I am going to open the seam tomorrow and see what I am dealing with. Thank you so much for suggesting this! Maybe I can fix it so I won't have to add any braid . . . I will let you know what happens . . .

Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Hi, CeciliaRose! Thank you so much for your encouragement and ideas! It appears the fringe is actually sewn into the seam. I will open it up and see! And the sleeves - I can definitely do what you said - if I need to go 3/4 length, that would be fine w/ me. It would still look very nice!

I would have to really be precise if I used some type of trim (a flat braid, for ex) on this . . . you are very right about that . . . as it would look amateur otherwise. The collar and lapel will be a challenge. I am going to open the seam tomorrow and see what I am dealing with. Thank you so much for suggesting this! Maybe I can fix it so I won't have to add any braid . . . I will let you know what happens . . .
I am so glad its in the seam. That makes it so much easier. Glad you understod my ramblings. Sometimes I can see it but I cant expain it. I dont iike to type a novel cause most peeps dont care for my style so its usually a waste.

Do you embroider. Ive done a blanket stitch on some casual jackets. I wonder if some kind of a fancy stitch done in contrasting color or in a darker jacket color would work. I havent seen the acket but theres also sparkly thread.

Also I have a pillow with ribbon embroidery. It has ribbon roses and leaves. It is very kewl. Ive always thought I would like to try doing some on a vest when I get some spare time in my old age. This made me think maybe instead of braid you could use thin silk ribbon. Im thinking most braids would be too "heavy" for silk. Theres some awesome vintage ribbon out there if youre into that kinda stuff.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I am so glad its in the seam. That makes it so much easier. Glad you understod my ramblings. Sometimes I can see it but I cant expain it. I dont iike to type a novel cause most peeps dont care for my style so its usually a waste.

Do you embroider. Ive done a blanket stitch on some casual jackets. I wonder if some kind of a fancy stitch done in contrasting color or in a darker jacket color would work. I havent seen the acket but theres also sparkly thread.

Also I have a pillow with ribbon embroidery. It has ribbon roses and leaves. It is very kewl. Ive always thought I would like to try doing some on a vest when I get some spare time in my old age. This made me think maybe instead of braid you could use thin silk ribbon. Im thinking most braids would be too "heavy" for silk. Theres some awesome vintage ribbon out there if youre into that kinda stuff.
Cecilia - you are AWESOME! I have not embroidered in years, but yes, I can do a beautiful blanket stitch (used to be able to, anyway) and when I saw what you wrote - it hit me- that would be a PERFECT solution!

THe jacket is shades of grey and black tweed. So a black blanket stitch would look STUNNING!!!! And very classic . . .

The fringe is in the seam so I can just remove it . . . and I will go get myself some really nice weight thread (or yarn - whatever) and do a blanket stitch and that will solve that!!!

You are brilliant! You said you are glad I understood your ramblings - well I am glad you hung in there w/ me til we got this thing figured out! The jackets are so beautiful - the fabric is gorgeous. The one is grey and black - the other is black and a lovely shade of not-quite-royal blue (just a hint of green in that blue). The ribbon would be lovely on the blue tweed jacket.

You are a sweetheart for bothering w/ my post. sending hugs (((((ceciliarose))))))

Old 04-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Cecilia - you are AWESOME! I have not embroidered in years, but yes, I can do a beautiful blanket stitch (used to be able to, anyway) and when I saw what you wrote - it hit me- that would be a PERFECT solution!

THe jacket is shades of grey and black tweed. So a black blanket stitch would look STUNNING!!!! And very classic . . .

The fringe is in the seam so I can just remove it . . . and I will go get myself some really nice weight thread (or yarn - whatever) and do a blanket stitch and that will solve that!!!

You are brilliant! You said you are glad I understood your ramblings - well I am glad you hung in there w/ me til we got this thing figured out! The jackets are so beautiful - the fabric is gorgeous. The one is grey and black - the other is black and a lovely shade of not-quite-royal blue (just a hint of green in that blue). The ribbon would be lovely on the blue tweed jacket.

You are a sweetheart for bothering w/ my post. sending hugs (((((ceciliarose))))))
Thanks for the kind words but its no bother. Its kinda fun to take an ugly duckling and turn it into a one of a kind piece. If I didnt do that I wouldnt have anything interesting to wear. Large peep stuff is boring unless you have lots of moolah. . Also I only like earthtones and Im tall. And I hate stuff with no collars. I*m picky for a old fat broad. So Im constanly tweaking stuff.

Tweed you say. I dont know where I got silk from. Yes a black blanket stitch would look good on grey and black tweed. Also a good way to close the seam.

Just a thought on the blue tweed. If it were me I would either use black or stay in the royal blues. When you pick a color always think about what color pants and top you would choose to finish off your outfit. Odd colors can be fetching or they can limit what you can wear and sometimes make it impossible. I like things to match. Just one of my peculiarities. IMO if you get more than three colors you have to be good to pull it off.

BTW. If I really like something I keep it. Sooner or later it either comes back or I fnally figure out another way to wear it.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 04-19-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty