Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about it. Both the engagement ring and the wedding band have channel-set diamonds. The center stone is not particularly striking, only .33 carat. But I think a gold diamond pendant would be nice.

What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 08:00 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
My mom had hers and her mom's set in a premade ring setting which I now have. The rings themselves and some other gold jewelry were melted down into a nugget pendant. That was stylish in the Eighties.

At one time I thought I'd have mine included with them but as time went on I think I liked the sentimentality of wearing my mother's jewelry.

It's interesting to compare the quality of the three generations of diamonds. My grandmother's was clearly a finer stone.

I have told my daughter that she can have them and my two sets (wedding and anniversary) and I will pay for her to have her own piece made.

I have a goldsmith acquaintance who does lovely modern pieces and thought my daughter would enjoy designing her own. But like so many of her generation she isn't very interested in heirlooms. Says she doesn't care much for diamonds.

So I suppose they'll be sold as is.

Even if your diamond is not very large there are ways it can be set to enhance the size.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My mom had hers and her mom's set in a premade ring setting which I now have. The rings themselves and some other gold jewelry were melted down into a nugget pendant. That was stylish in the Eighties.
Ugh ... nugget jewelry ... that's one trend that I hope never returns!!

Quote:
I have told my daughter that she can have them and my two sets (wedding and anniversary) and I will pay for her to have her own piece made.

I have a goldsmith acquaintance who does lovely modern pieces and thought my daughter would enjoy designing her own. But like so many of her generation she isn't very interested in heirlooms. Says she doesn't care much for diamonds.

So I suppose they'll be sold as is.
Hang onto them. She may change her mind. Ten years ago, I was much like her. Had no interest in the heirlooms or diamonds in general. Now I proudly wear a gorgeous ring that my grandmother had made from her solitaire and her mother's and mother-in-law's solitaires.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ugh ... nugget jewelry ... that's one trend that I hope never returns!!

Hang onto them. She may change her mind. Ten years ago, I was much like her. Had no interest in the heirlooms or diamonds in general. Now I proudly wear a gorgeous ring that my grandmother had made from her solitaire and her mother's and mother-in-law's solitaires.
Actually the nugget is worth more than the diamonds. But there isn't much sentimental value in it.

I plan to keep the jewelry. At fifty it's questionable that she's going to change her mind about it but it will be hers to deal with however she wants.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:

I remember that. Nugget jewelry and tricolor Black Hills Gold jewelry.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:28 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
My wedding band from my first marriage was a diamond eternity ring. (I'd long ago given my engagement ring to my then-husband- he was unemployed and kept bugging me for money and I told him to sell the darn thing.) I had the eternity band cut in haf (loved the symbolism of that) and had them made into half-hoop earrings.

Before Mom died she gave me two rings: one that belonged to my Great-Great Aunt, so over 100 years old, and her engagement ring. My Grandma had also worn the one belonging to GGA- it was in a beautiful, ornate gold floral setting. The diamond was said to be good quality, too. I took them to the best jewelry store in the area and had the two diamonds, plus another I purchased, set into a platinum 3-stone ring. My only regret is that I'm not sure which diamond was my mother's and which was new- they were both the same size and I forgot to ask them to mark them somehow. I did ask them to preserve the settings as much as possible. I'd planned to have other stones set in them but my sister asked for them. I was happy to give them to her- she had both reset with diamonds.

My second husband died 3 years ago. Engagement ring was a pink topaz with a diamond on either side and I still wear it occasionally since it doesn't scream "engagement ring". I have a platinum chain with my wedding band and his (both simple platinum bands) plus a silver version of his that we bought when the original went missing till I found it after his death, plus a silver charm with his fingerprint on it.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I am still married, almost 50 years later, to the same man. But I can’t resist posting, because I had my original rings reset after 25 years. Simply, they were wearing out. DH had given me a very simple white gold engagement ring with one prominent diamond and a smaller diamond set on either side. Wedding ring was four small diamonds, and the set was fastened together, so they would not slip apart.

I had them all set into a thick gold band. The larger stone is set securely in the middle. The smaller stones are set into the band, on either side of that stone.

Now, none of these diamonds are anything special, or particularly big. But I like the gold band still after almost 25 years. And it is not wearing thin, as the old set did. I was touched that DH wanted to restyle the old ring. It was important to him that I had a proper ring.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:41 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
Almost 49 years married here. We had next to nothing when we married very young, but I put a little money down and made $14 per month payments on a ring with a beautiful, although small, .25 carat diamond in it. It was quite awhile later that we replaced that with a nicer ring, and the old one went into an old jewelry box. A few years later I sneaked the old ring out and took it to a jeweler who worked with me to design a pendant with that diamond in it. It was for a Christmas surprise (I almost never am able to surprise her with anything). My wife had not looked at the old ring in years, but around early December she noticed it missing and was quite upset. I assured her we would come across it somewhere. When she opened the gift at Christmas, it had the old ring on top with no stone and underneath was the pendant necklace. That was probably 35 years ago and today she still gets more compliments on that necklace than on her rings. On the market the stone isn't worth much at all, but to us it is priceless. I think our Granddaughter has her eye on it too!

Old 01-29-2020, 12:28 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
If I were widowed, I would (eventually). If I were divorced, I would not.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My husband and I upgraded our wedding rings a few years ago, partly because I had a marquis cut diamond that snagged on EVERYTHING. It was pretty but it was driving me crazy. Plus it was set up really high so yeah, ugh.

I am a New Orleans native and a Saints fan. So we had the platinum engagement ring (diamond and several smaller bevel cut stones around it, or something like that) and the platinum band which had some more small stones in it, made into a fleur de lis pendant. It's not big and flashy but it's also not small (about 3/4 of an inch in height and 1/2 an inch in width). It is quite shiny and I really love it.

We designed it around the stones and though we provided all the "raw" material, it still wasn't cheap - because it was custom made. It also took about 2 months to get it finished, but it was worth the wait as well as the cost. I wear it all the time. Got a white gold chain to hang it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty