U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Attractive?
Yes. 68 45.64%
No. 40 26.85%
No, but I think I am. 9 6.04%
Yes, but I think I'm not. 13 8.72%
Other. 19 12.75%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 PM

7,762 posts, read 14,655,738 times

Advertisements

It all depends on the day and/or who I’m standing next to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 03:12 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,485,065 times
Sometimes I think so. I'm more consistently okay with my body than my face; my shape is objectively good. I don't think anyone believes I'm ugly (except online, when they dislike my words), but I don't know how highly I'm rated by people in general. I had a weird unwanted experience recently as a shopper with a man giving unsolicited feedback on my appearance (including something like "you're a good-looking guy, no homo"). I do not believe anyone thinks I look great, but I'm open to being wrong about that.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:24 AM

15,775 posts, read 9,159,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Sometimes I think so. I'm more consistently okay with my body than my face; my shape is objectively good. I don't think anyone believes I'm ugly (except online, when they dislike my words), but I don't know how highly I'm rated by people in general. I had a weird unwanted experience recently as a shopper with a man giving unsolicited feedback on my appearance (including something like "you're a good-looking guy, no homo"). I do not believe anyone thinks I look great, but I'm open to being wrong about that.
That is so odd; people giving unsolicited feedback on other people's appearance. Who does that? And why? I don't get it.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 AM

11,765 posts, read 5,496,018 times
I've told this on CD before, but when I was in High School I thought I was rather plain especially since I had to wear glasses and my two front teeth overlapped a bit. Jump forward 40 years and a former classmate came in to where I was working, we chatted and the next time she was in she brought our High School yearbook since I had mentioned I lost mine in the many moves I had made over the year.

I looked through all the senior pictures and was shocked to discover I was actually one of the prettiest girls in High School but I had such a low self esteem back then that I never realized it.

Now at 64, I am usually taken for mid 50's. I just inherited good genes because I don't do anything special for my skin although I wouldn't mind have a mini facelift and my neck tightened. I have lost 40 pounds in the last 4 years and at my age the skin doesn't bounce back so well.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:30 AM

13,243 posts, read 8,023,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is so odd; people giving unsolicited feedback on other people's appearance. Who does that? And why? I don't get it.
I do, but only positive. And only when it seems appropriate, and usually with regard to people's clothing or hair or jewelry or something... But I definitely adhere to the old, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all" concept.

I saw a meme about awkward people trying awkwardly to flirt once, and it showed someone saying to a person they had a crush on, "Your face is good." I say that to people that I know and like sometimes, just because it's silly.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:46 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,012,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I do, but only positive. And only when it seems appropriate, and usually with regard to people's clothing or hair or jewelry or something... But I definitely adhere to the old, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all" concept.

I saw a meme about awkward people trying awkwardly to flirt once, and it showed someone saying to a person they had a crush on, "Your face is good." I say that to people that I know and like sometimes, just because it's silly.

I compliment strangers all the time, if there's something about them that stands out, and I like it. If they have a cool hair color, I walk up and I tell them that. If they're carrying an interesting purse, I'll compliment them on the purse. If they have stand-out shoes on, I'll compliment them on their tastes.

Like you, I only say something complimentary. People always seem to respond well to a sincere compliment.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:10 AM

3,465 posts, read 5,285,739 times
I also give unsolicited compliments to people in passing. Usually related to clothing or tattoos (I also have several tattoos and appreciate when I see quality work)

Last edited by Sunbather; 11-11-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-11-2019, 01:37 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,485,065 times
I think he said he had a hangover.

But if people never gave unsolicited comments on appearance, most of us would know less about how we're perceived.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:20 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,126,323 times
How good looking I am varies more in people's judgement compared to the typical person being judged. Take the average man. I guess he is a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Many will rate him a 5, some a 6 or 4, and a rare 7 or 3. Lets say for the sake of argument I am a 5. Not as many will rate me a 5. More will rate me a 6 or 4, or a 7 or 3.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:53 PM

54 posts, read 18,299 times
A bit off-topic, but I have noticed that women starting in their 30s start to get a different "look" not in losing their looks or all that but just a different kind of more mature look, kind of hard to explain and in no way saying they look "worse" or anything like that. For example at 33 I find women my age or up much more attractive than these 20-somethings, and my girlfriend at 43 looks stunning to me and yes, she does exercise eats right and certainly knows how to use moisturizer I find her much more attractive than the 20-somethings that just look like girls to me.

From my age on women have a more "womanly" look if that makes any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or